Can access some sites but not others

Questions about networking.
In the Original Post please also include the output of inxi -FNzxx
Deleted User 2764

Can access some sites but not others

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 27 Aug 2014 20:15

Weird thing started happening today and my ISP said they can't help because I'm using Linux. :? They said to "Contact Linux" to "hard code your DNS". :roll: :lol: They gave me some DNS numbers.

Anyway, the sites I go to are the local weather, CNN, news sites like that (here in USA). This site is working (obviously) as well. Now if I use an online proxy like FitlerBypass, then I can access those sites I couldn't just as-is.

I heard that Time Warner had down time (that's not my ISP though. I use Clearwire). Could that still have an effect on the traffic from point A to point B?

I did pings and no response on some sites but traceroutes sometimes did come up.

BTW, in the Traceroutes, what's *** mean? I get a lot of those. But no "Request time out". Just ***.

Deleted User 2764

Re: Can access some sites but not others

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 28 Aug 2014 00:28

Update: It seems mostly government and news sites that I can't seem to reach. Other sites like Google sites, here, Linux forums I can. Also Amazon.com is not possible to reach.

If I let it go, it just keeps loading and loading and nothing. Then when it stops, it's a blank page. No text, no messages, no errors. Nothing.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 28 Aug 2014 00:37

If you have a router, try taking that out of the circuit .. Connect your computer directly to the modem. If that works better, then check /etc/resolv.conf for what the computer thinks is your DNS server offered up by your ISP. Using that, you should be able to configure your router the same way once you get it back on line.

It's a thought any way.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 28 Aug 2014 01:38

Did take the router out of the equation (sorry I forgot to mention that). Still had the same problem.

After I posted this, I called a friend who uses Frontier for their ISP. He had the same problem. He could not access those same sites. I read that Time Warner had internet problems but I thought they were fixed and not our problem. But apparently when on the phone with my friend, I found a news article stating that the problem was with Time Warner's backbone. And my area was largely affected. So while our ISPs were good, the connections to the routers (hops) to get to the destination crossed into the TW zone (twilight zone? LOL!) And it seems that it's been like that all day, so they didn't fix things or the backbone is still suffering.

Which explains why I can get to those sites via a proxy (like filterbypass which is a free online proxy I can get to right now) but not without it. They are like the middle-man between my connection and the destination.

Snap

Postby Snap » 28 Aug 2014 07:17

Are you using your ISP DNS? It seems to be a bad practice. I always bypass them and use free ones. Nevertheless, I have to recognize I use the Google ones too because they are so fast and hardly ever fail.

Aside of Google's 8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4. These are usually the better ones in the tests.

Ultra DNS 204.74.106.104,156.154.98.94
OpenDNS 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220
DNS Advantage 156.154.70.10, 156.154.71.10
Censurfrinds 89.233.43.71, 89.104.194.142

I have them all into my resolv.conf and uncomment the set I want to use in a given period.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Zill

Postby Zill » 28 Aug 2014 10:52

Snap wrote:Are you using your ISP DNS? It seems to be a bad practice. I always bypass them and use free ones...
Slightly OT but why do you think ISP DNS "seems to be a bad practice"? As a customer, I am directly paying my ISP to provide reliable DNS, whereas with the "free ones", the mining (and subsequent marketing) of my data pays for the service!

"Free" DNS has its place if there is a specific problem with an ISP's servers, but I certainly would not advocate them as a default.

Snap

Postby Snap » 28 Aug 2014 11:14

I am directly paying my ISP to provide reliable DNS
Don't know how good they are for you. But here are totally crap. To the extent that when installing a distro if I don't switch the DNS servers in advance in the live iso, it usually fails. No install or no updated afterwards. ie, no reliable network. Switching to google or free ones always solved these issues.

And of course the same goes with regular/daily networking. My ISP DNS suck. With former companies I used in the past it was no specially better. Maybe it's only here in Spain and the servers in UK are superb, but...

Zill

Postby Zill » 28 Aug 2014 12:03

Snap: I have used various UK ISPs over the years but never had a problem with their DNS. I simply check that the ISP DNS IPs are correct in my router (generally configured automatically) and then ensure that all my networked PCs resolv.conf point to my router for DNS resolution. This works well with all my connected machines, either via a static IP or DHCP.

Snap

Postby Snap » 28 Aug 2014 14:16

You wouldn't believe how slow they can be around here.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 28 Aug 2014 14:27

Well, good news! It's all working again! :) They must have fixed the backbone servers. In the USA it's my general understanding that they refresh thier DNS cache every 24 hours so that new sites, etc. come online. It may be that the cache was refreshed and the downed servers were removed (maybe why things were out that day) and then another refresh brought them back online. Seems plausable to me, at least.

As for alternate DNS servers, thanks for the info, Snap. I live in the USA and generally we don't have a problem with ISP DNS (there are few major ISPs and some minor ones still left here and there). Usually they are OK. However, there are some DNS servers we can use for free that some do choose to use in cases such as what happened yesterday. I totally forgot about that, actually, since we don't normally have to deal with that problem. It's a good reminder and good info though just in case.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 28 Aug 2014 18:13

That is good new! :) :D :mrgreen:
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 28 Aug 2014 23:29

Spoke to soon. Same sites not working this evening (were working this morning/afternoon). Here's probably why:

http://www.zdnet.com/internet-hiccups-t ... 000032566/

Meanwhile people are blaming their ISPs probably when it's actually some routers on the backbones that are getting flooded. I wonder if that will ever hit the news? :roll:

I will just resolve that for the next few months or so, things in the USA may be a bit rocky.

Zero Angel

Postby Zero Angel » 29 Aug 2014 02:36

Not being able to access linuxmint.com was one of the reasons I decided to give this distro a try instead of Mint KDE. I think it is a routing issue that has nothing to do with my local network.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 29 Aug 2014 03:08

Yeah, your ISP may not even be affected. I know it's not my own WiFi network because my router is new, works well, and traceroutes I've done during the outages show that it drops off past Clearwire. So I'm getting through Sprint/Clearwire's routers as well just fine.

BTW, things are working again. It's been up and down like a yo-yo lately.

Return to “Networking”