[solved] Samba with Dynamic IP

Questions about networking.
In the Original Post please also include the output of inxi -FNzxx
jvslice

[solved] Samba with Dynamic IP

Postby jvslice » 31 Aug 2014 20:10

I am having problems conecting shares using Samba with dynamic IPs.

Setup information:

The DSL modem and router is an all-in-one from the phone company and donot have access to the modem/router. so have been using Dynamic IPs. I have three Solydx boxes which are not moble and could have static IPs, ther are also to PC laptops on being Windows 7 and the second being Windows 8.1 and I also have a raspberry pi with is moble.

I have configured the three Solydx boxes with Samba using the tutorial found on the Sodydxk board. I am able to browse and connect from the Windows boxes and see all files on the Solydx boxes but cannot connect from any on the linux boxes to another linux box or the windows boxes using the xfce thunar file browser, but can access the boxes using smb://ip address.

Since some of the boxes are moble is there a way to setup samba to browse and connect without having to relookup ip addresses each imp a box is rebooted and getes assigned a new dynamic ip address?

thanks

disciple1964

Re: Samba with Dynamic IP

Postby disciple1964 » 31 Aug 2014 20:31

Hello,

Maybe this will help you with configuration. When I used samba, I would have to put smb://ip address in the file manager and then log in. You have to make sure your smb.conf file is setup correctly. This information should help you get that done.

https://www.samba.org/

Lenovo T61P-6gigs-15.1Screen-250gig hard drive / Desktop: Quad core Intel Core i7-4790K CPU Kernel~3.19.0-49-generic x86_64 Mem~1621.5/15928.2MB HDD~1120.2GB
Registered Linux user 566308

jvslice

Postby jvslice » 01 Sep 2014 14:15

I sometimes write too much or write the wrong stuff, so I have included a picture to help explain my problem.

[img]file:///home/john/Desktop/Screenshot%20-%2009012014%20-%2009:47:24%20AM.png
[/img] Also my need some help on uploading the screen shot, since it does not show up in the preview

When I open up the file browser all boxes are shown (discovered) but I receive the message "Failed to return share list from server: connection timed out", but if I use "smb://"IP Address" (for example 182.168.254.2" I am able to access files on the other boxes correctly. I this a problem with how XFCE discovers othe boxes on the network, just sees the name but not their IP address?

jvslice

Postby jvslice » 04 Sep 2014 00:12

Just an update:

Once I fixed the Network Manager I was able to change my three Solydx boxes to static IPs with out having to access the router/modem supplied by the phone company. After that I edited the stc/hosts file to include the Solydx boxes (names) and their IPs and all work from the fire browser (thunar) the only proble left is figuring out how to open folders on my Windows boxes from Solydx without initially examining wth windows boxes with the ifconfig to determing the windows IP address, remember the windows boxes using dynamic IPs.

Or maybe this may be a XFCE - Thunar problem since I am able to select browse the network and the windows network and workgroup the windows pc shows up fails to open the wondows server, unless I use smb://address.

disciple1964

Postby disciple1964 » 04 Sep 2014 02:49

Hello,

With the windows boxes you just have to make sure they are in the same domain or workgroup. They do not need to have static ip's you just have to also make sure you have an account created on the windows boxes. If there are in the same workgroup you should see them under network, click on it and a security screen should come up, Put in username and password and you should have access to the systems.

If you have to use the ip, then in the thunar put smb//ip address of windows system and it will pop up the security window. Do as stated above. Usually the dhcp ip on the windows boxes do not change unless you turn the machine off. Just use ipconfig /all to find out the ip.

Hope this helps.

Lenovo T61P-6gigs-15.1Screen-250gig hard drive / Desktop: Quad core Intel Core i7-4790K CPU Kernel~3.19.0-49-generic x86_64 Mem~1621.5/15928.2MB HDD~1120.2GB
Registered Linux user 566308

Return to “Networking”