Solved]Opening Network ports

Questions about networking.
In the Original Post please also include the output of inxi -FNzxx
xendistar

Solved]Opening Network ports

Postby xendistar » 14 Feb 2015 11:30

If I want to open certain network ports which are not currently listed in /etc/services (so I assume are closed) do I simply edit the file and add the three ports along with TCP\UDP to open the ports. I also assume I need to stop start the network service??

Tim

xendistar

Re: Opening Network ports

Postby xendistar » 15 Feb 2015 14:35

I have sorted this one out, I did not realsie I had iptables running. Once I found out I had I was able to run the following command after some more trial and error.

iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 3977 -j ACCEPT

This was followed by a

iptables-save

It unfortunately did not resolve my issue which turned out to be a program configuration error

FinnFann

Re: Opening Network ports

Postby FinnFann » 15 Feb 2015 16:05

xendistar wrote:I have sorted this one out, I did not realsie I had iptables running. Once I found out I had I was able to run the following command after some more trial and error.

iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 3977 -j ACCEPT

This was followed by a

iptables-save

It unfortunately did not resolve my issue which turned out to be a program configuration error
I think you can also use the firewall configuration programs. I believe UFW is installed. KDE should have an entry for it in the settings menu, and I believe XFCE has gufw to configure it.
ImageLemonade

xendistar

Re: Solved]Opening Network ports

Postby xendistar » 15 Feb 2015 16:52

I uninstalled UFW from my install which is why I did not realise that iptables were in operations. But at least now all is sorted.

Return to “Networking”