RESOLVED: Wired network connection not working

Questions about networking.
In the Original Post please also include the output of inxi -FNzxx
rpallen

RESOLVED: Wired network connection not working

Postby rpallen » 01 Feb 2016 12:56

I just installed Solydx without problems. When I installed it I was connected to the internet with a wired connection, again without problems. When I rebooted with the wired connection, still no problems.

I unplugged the wired connection to test the wifi and the wifi worked without problems.

The problem came when I tried to go back to a wired connection. I plugged the cable back in expecting the wired connection to "override" the wifi. It didn't. I went to the networking icon in the panel and the ethernet connection said something like "device not managed" (My system is in Portuguese so this is a translation and I'm not what it would actually be in English.) When I disconnect the wifi, the ethernet doesn't change.

I tried diasbling and then re-enabling the network (right click networking icon and unchecking the network choice). No change.

I tried rebooting and the ethernet is still the same.

What should I do?
Randall Paul Allen
Guanambi, Bahia, Brazil
SolydX user

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Wired network connectio not working

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Feb 2016 13:31

Hi rpallen, and welcome to our forum!

There was a similar discussion here: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=5999

It resulted in commenting out the lines in /etc/network/interfaces concerning eth0 (your wired connection) and let the Network Manager (NM) handle the connections.

I don't know why NM cannot handle both wired and wireless connections in your case but you could try to set managed=true in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.

If that doesn't work after a reboot try to uncomment these lines in the /etc/network/interfaces file:

Code: Select all

auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

rpallen

Re: Wired network connectio not working

Postby rpallen » 01 Feb 2016 14:19

Thanks.

With your info I was able to resolve the problem.

First, After reading the discussions you pointed me to I edited the /etc/network/interfaces file. The eth0 lines weren't commented out, but the auto eth0 line didn't exist, so I added it. That didn't change anything.

So in the file /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf I did as you suggested and changed the managed parameter to true. After rebooting, I can now use the wireless connection. The only problem (a very minor problem) is that the system connects both the eth0 and the wifi. But it's not much of a problem to disconnect the wifi when I am using thw wired connection.

Thanks again. And BTW, I'm really happy with Solydx.
Randall Paul Allen
Guanambi, Bahia, Brazil
SolydX user

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: RESOLVED: Wired network connection not working

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Feb 2016 14:44

Good to hear you solved it.

If you want you can introduce yourself here: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewforum.php?f=73

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

rpallen

Re: RESOLVED: Wired network connection not working

Postby rpallen » 02 Feb 2016 11:23

Thanks, Schoelje.
I have now posted to Introduce yourself.
Randall Paul Allen
Guanambi, Bahia, Brazil
SolydX user

Return to “Networking”