Need help to configure a VPN connection [Solved]

Questions about networking.
In the Original Post please also include the output of inxi -FNzxx
jpartridge

Need help to configure a VPN connection [Solved]

Postby jpartridge » 21 Feb 2016 20:29

Greetings,

Last week I installed SolidX (32 b) on my very old Asus laptop that painfully dragged over its Windows XP.
It's now working much faster in spite of its small 758 MB of RAM. I'm very grateful to all of you who put together SolydX.

For the last couple of days I've been trying to create a VPN connection, unsuccessfully.
Tried PPTP - can't make it work. Then tried VPNBook on OpenVPN, following the vague instructions on this tutorial,
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1560
but it's rather imprecise - and has also some mistakes, as for instance the name of the extension .cert, which does not exist, instead of .cer or .crt .

Would someone please help me (and all the other computer nerds like me) and make a tutorial on how to create a VPN connection of this kind, specifying all the choices and checks?

Thank you s.v.m.

Zill

Re: Need help to configure a VPN connection

Postby Zill » 21 Feb 2016 20:53

jpartridge: Firstly, let me welcome you to SolydXK forums and I trust that you will enjoy using this great distro. If you would like to post in the "Introduce yourself" section it will be great to hear a bit more about who you are and how you got here!

I don't use a VPN myself so cannot advise on specifics but, as SolydXK is based on Debian, I suggest a good starting point would be to try following the OpenVPN Debian Wiki.

This document seems to be quite detailed but if you hit any problems just post back with specific details and, hopefully, someone will be able to help.

If you wish to post any terminal output, please enclose this in "code" tags. e.g.

Code: Select all

[code]my output text
[/code]Note that there is a "Code" button at the top of the forum editing window which does this automatically for any highlighted text.

jpartridge

Postby jpartridge » 22 Feb 2016 00:16

Thanks for your welcoming and for your clue, Zill.
Are you a member of the community?

Although it's a very technical document it actually helped me to realize I missed to specify the port at "Use custom gateway port". Having done that, the connection was successfully made.

I suppose that would be useful to post here a step by step tutorial on how to make this kind of connection...

Zill

Postby Zill » 22 Feb 2016 11:29

jpartridge: I'm pleased you seem to have got your VPN working. :-)

Would you now please mark the thread as solved to help any other users with a similar query. You need to edit your first post in this thread and add the prefix [Solved] to the title. Only the OP (Original Poster) can do this.

If you have any more problems just use the search facility (button at the top of the screen) and it could be that the answer is already there! Failing that, feel free to post a new query with a descriptive title and as much detail as possible.

As far as "the community" is concerned then we are all members of it! I am simply a SolydXK user and all of us who participate on the forums, with either questions or answers, are part of the SolydXK community.

Above the community then there are the team who develop SolydXK and moderate the forums. You can read more about the SolydXK team here: http://solydxk.com/about/the-solydxk-team/

Because SolydXK is based on Debian, it is always worth checking the Debian documentation, and the Wiki in particular, to read the current how-tos. However, if you believe an additional tutorial may be helpful to other SolydXK users then it certainly would be appreciated if you could produce one.

Although the individual forum help threads do contain lots of useful information, we do have a specific tutorial section. See "Tutorials".

jpartridge

Postby jpartridge » 01 Mar 2016 18:38

Thanks again, Zill.

When I asked if you were a member of the community I meant this community:
https://solydxk.nl/downloads/community-editions/

This distrubution is pretty amazing. I tried Zorin and Linux Lite and none of them could find the network card on my laptop, for instance.

About the tutorial: I have so many things to do and so little time... I mean, I'll do it if someone actually asks for it. Ok?

Having said this, I'm going to mark the thread as solved, as you asked.

Zill

Postby Zill » 01 Mar 2016 20:45

jpartridge wrote:When I asked if you were a member of the community I meant this community:
https://solydxk.nl/downloads/community-editions/
As I tried to clarify earlier, we are all members of the SolydXK community - you, me and everyone else who has any involvement with SolydXK.

The link to the Community Editions simply identifies the SolydXK releases that are not tested or supported by the "official" SolydXK team. I, personally, run the 32-bit SolydX release which is a Community Edition. Of course, other members run "official" SolydXK 64-bit releases and/or Community Releases such as 32-bit SolydK and/or the various Enthusiasts Editions (EE).

I am pleased you are enjoying SolydXK. Feel free to post again if you have any queries. You have joined a friendly community... :-)

Return to “Networking”