Best way to recover data if the network fails?

Questions about networking.
In the Original Post please also include the output of inxi -FNzxx
behrami

Best way to recover data if the network fails?

Postby behrami » 17 Jan 2017 09:35

Hey guys, so i'm really paranoid about this. What is the best way to backup the data on my network? Are there some methods that are preferred?

Zill

Re: Best way to recover data if the network fails?

Postby Zill » 17 Jan 2017 17:42

The effect of network failure is dependent on where your data is stored. Do you store your data on your own local machine(s) or on a remote cloud server?

In the first case, you will need to backup your data to another local or remote drive. This can be done using the rsync terminal command, or with a GUI backup application such as luckyBackup. Both of these are already installed on your SolydXK system.

In the second case, I suggest your cloud storage provider should be automatically backing up data themselves, probably by using RAID-type systems that mitigate the effect of drive failures. However, I don't use cloud storage myself and so you will need to verify this from your cloud provider.

In both cases, no data should be lost as a result of network failure as this would simply result in a (temporary!) disconnection between your machine(s) and your LAN and/or the Internet.

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 17 Jan 2017 22:13

Another option is to store your backed up data at a friends or relatives house, whilst it sound a little mad and it is a lot more involved to setup it can work out cheaper than paying for Cloud backup. You could even end up storing their backup at your house.

The basic are you have a small NAS or USB disk at a friends or relative house and providing you both have a reasonable broadband access (what is reasonable is dependant on the size and type of your backup) you send your backup to their house over night, add encryption so it can not be read if you like and then you have off site backup. It does not matter what sort of backup you have at home or how many times it runs per day\week, if it stored at home and your house burns down then it all gone.

I know somebody who used to backup to a small USB hard disks and then take it to work and store it in his desk, until he made another backup and brought that one into work and took the old backup home ready to backup the next lot of data.

I would start off by looking at your data you have and deciding what you need to backup, once you have that list, then you can move onto how often you will backup and how long you will store that backup. Once you have a good routine running then you can look at the off site type of back up I looked at above.

Finally and the most important of all, once you you have the backups working nicely, then work out how to restore those backups, there nothing worse than thinking you have the perfect backup regime only to find when you really need to restore those important lost file (or complete computer) the backups are no good.

behrami

Postby behrami » 18 Jan 2017 09:01

Zill wrote:The effect of network failure is dependent on where your data is stored. Do you store your data on your own local machine(s) or on a remote cloud server?

In the first case, you will need to backup your data to another local or remote drive. This can be done using the rsync terminal command, or with a GUI backup application such as luckyBackup. Both of these are already installed on your SolydXK system.

In the second case, I suggest your cloud storage provider should be automatically backing up data themselves, probably by using RAID-type systems that mitigate the effect of drive failures. However, I don't use cloud storage myself and so you will need to verify this from your cloud provider.

In both cases, no data should be lost as a result of network failure as this would simply result in a (temporary!) disconnection between your machine(s) and your LAN and/or the Internet.
Thanks for all this information! I store my data on my own machines right now. Hmm ok so I'll check out LuckyBackup right now. Hope it does the job.
xendistar wrote:Another option is to store your backed up data at a friends or relatives house, whilst it sound a little mad and it is a lot more involved to setup it can work out cheaper than paying for Cloud backup. You could even end up storing their backup at your house.

The basic are you have a small NAS or USB disk at a friends or relative house and providing you both have a reasonable broadband access (what is reasonable is dependant on the size and type of your backup) you send your backup to their house over night, add encryption so it can not be read if you like and then you have off site backup. It does not matter what sort of backup you have at home or how many times it runs per day\week, if it stored at home and your house burns down then it all gone.

I know somebody who used to backup to a small USB hard disks and then take it to work and store it in his desk, until he made another backup and brought that one into work and took the old backup home ready to backup the next lot of data.

I would start off by looking at your data you have and deciding what you need to backup, once you have that list, then you can move onto how often you will backup and how long you will store that backup. Once you have a good routine running then you can look at the off site type of back up I looked at above.

Finally and the most important of all, once you you have the backups working nicely, then work out how to restore those backups, there nothing worse than thinking you have the perfect backup regime only to find when you really need to restore those important lost file (or complete computer) the backups are no good.
That's actually an interesting idea, I can't believe I haven't though of it! Just have to find an easy way to encrypt the data. I was actually doing some reading on IT recovery and I stumbled upon this article: https://www.1and1.com/digitalguide/serv ... very-plan/. It says to have a certain process in place for IT recovery. Is it that complicated where I need a process written down? I hope when It's as easy as clicking a button or two.

Anyway, thanks for the responses guys:)

Zill

Postby Zill » 18 Jan 2017 09:31

Please don't quote preceding posts in full as this makes threads longer and more difficult to read. Selective quoting (when necessary) is preferable...
behrami wrote:... I was actually doing some reading on IT recovery and I stumbled upon this article: https://www.1and1.com/digitalguide/serv ... very-plan/. It says to have a certain process in place for IT recovery. Is it that complicated where I need a process written down? I hope when It's as easy as clicking a button or two.
The article referred to is clearly aimed at businesses, which definitely do need a formal IT recovery process!

Other users need to consider how important their data is to them. If you are happy to lose all your data then there is no need to think about backups or any other form of IT recovery.

OTOH, I suggest most users do actually want to keep their data and so I strongly recommend having a regular backup regime, preferably with data being backed-up in multiple locations as xendistar suggested. Whether you need to write the process down is up to you!

kwisher

Postby kwisher » 18 Jan 2017 15:11

All PC's on my LAN are backing up to my server which has a 4-2TB Raid-5 external eSata drive enclosure. This also serves as my LAN file server using NFS and Samba, running Xubuntu 16.04. Nix PC's use backintime if they have a GUI DE. Headless machines use rdiff-backup. Server is running CrashPlan for offsite backup to a PC I have at my workplace. Server uses CrashPlan to backup critical personal data only. All PC's also run CrashPlan to backup to offisite PC. Offsite PC has a 4-1.5TB Raid-5 external drive enclosure.

All important personal data on all PC's have 3 copies, one being offsite.

FWIW, I do not trust single disk's as a reliable backup source, I've been burned a couple of times with drive failures. They are better than nothing at all but if you value your personal data I would advise using a RAID array for redundancy. I also would suggest setting up email notifications on any system that is storing backups for drive failure alerts.
The instructions suggested Windows XP or better, so I installed Linux :)

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 18 Jan 2017 16:22

While I agree with Zill that the link you listed is really meant for business, think of it from the point of view that you have backed up all your important files to a relatives house and your house has burnt down, you are not available through either injury or dare I say it death who is going to be able to access those important backup files if you are not a round. Leaving some detailed written instructions for some to recover your backup is worth considering, where or whom you leave it with is of course, another matter (I can see the minefield expanding exponentially) ;)

ilu

Postby ilu » 20 Jan 2017 14:08

I haven't read the article you cited (no time) but there's 3 aspects to backup: Software, hardware, social stuff.

I'm still struggling with the hardware part and I know people who are really into it (those that work in archives/libraries) really struggle too. I'm thinking about long time backup like what you'd want to do with the family photos or similar stuff. SSDs are a no-go cause of wear, CDs and DVDs lack capacity and also deterioate (sp?) over time, HDs are difficult to handle.

I recently had a look at M-Disc https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-Disc. Does anybody here know anything about it?

Don't forget you have to store the software and hardware you need to reed your data too!
(I think I'm one of the few geeks that still has a system capable of reading 5,25 floppy disks :-) )

Zill

Postby Zill » 20 Jan 2017 15:56

ilu wrote:... I recently had a look at M-Disc https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-Disc. Does anybody here know anything about it?

Don't forget you have to store the software and hardware you need to reed your data too!
... and good luck with finding a working DVD player in the year 3017 ... ;)

ilu

Postby ilu » 20 Jan 2017 17:02

Well, 2117 would be probably enough for me - I still have family photos that are more than 100 years old but I doubt that presently produced photo prints will stay visible that long.
You might need to recopy everything several times anyway. But "normal" DVDs don't even reliably last 5 years and that's a bit disappointing. With HDs you never know. I can't find anything else.

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 22 Jan 2017 13:41

The following works for me.

Rumour has it that modern ssds will last longer than I will, 1,000,000hrs mtbf.
You can buy ssds with fancy cases and a usb connection so I am using these for my backups.
They look neat and tidy, they will work of any computer and for less than £100 (gbp) you get about 250G of storage.
I use fsarchiver for software as it stores an image in a space and consequentially as long as the destination is big enough it does what it is told.

I have just backed up my system having first gobbled up all of the updates.
I think that I have earned my 'Smug Sod' badge! (I do confess that it is about 3 months late!)

martin welsh

behrami

Postby behrami » 23 Jan 2017 13:53

Zill wrote:
Other users need to consider how important their data is to them. If you are happy to lose all your data then there is no need to think about backups or any other form of IT recovery.

OTOH, I suggest most users do actually want to keep their data and so I strongly recommend having a regular backup regime, preferably with data being backed-up in multiple locations as xendistar suggested. Whether you need to write the process down is up to you!
I understand, I am doing more reading on what's the best way to automatically backup in multiple locations.

Return to “Networking”