Is this normal for coders?

Contribute code to SolydXK and make it even better.
Deleted User 2764

Re: Is this normal for coders?

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 06 Mar 2014 20:37

fleabus wrote:What's a LAMP server? Does that turn all the lights on when you walk in the door? :lol:
Not quite. But if you want it to you might be able to get it to do that. :) LAMP stands for Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP. Apache is a web server (most of the internet web pages are served by either Apache or Windows web servers, hopefully mostly Apache). MySQL is a database system and PHP, well, that's a scripting language (technically) but some say it's a programming language - I guess because it's pretty flexable and you can write some really great stuff with it. Like this forum. :)

I work for a web hosting company (not the one that hosts this forum, though). I wrote perl scripts to manage user accounts on the server. I also set the server up, and while it's pretty much self-healing and self running (99.9999% uptime), I am ready to jump in should something need attention, or if a customer needs help with something in their web site directory.
fleabus wrote:Mom says that was a top-secret government project back in '56 when I was born, but she drinks and does lots of drugs.\
Well, she may have been right. I mean they have those things now days! 8-)

Deleted User 2764

Re: Is this normal for coders?

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 08 Mar 2014 01:47

Update: Tried to install and set up CVS. FORGET IT!

I installed: cvs, cvs-buildpackage, cvsutils, and cervisia. I couldn't figure it out and the documentation was of absolutely no help at all. I couldn't understand any of it. Just as I thought (I guess *I* can say the "I told you so" here this time).

I tried to make a repository of the web site project in the directory where I keep the site. Then it complained I have to select a module. I tried that and it's a bad something-or-other.

I can't do a thing with it so it's getting uninstalled.

I know people are going to start giving me instructions, commands, etc. I am not going to bother with this. No thank you. The more I think about it the more I feel that using CVS is totally unnecessary if I'm doing work by myself. Maybe it's great for a team. I can see the benefits there. But for just me, it's not necessary. I am more comfortable managing my code the way I've always done it. With commented out code brought in from older sources and using snippets database (I found a great one that's better than jCodeCollector. It's called CherryTree and I can use it also for project development ideas, planning, etc.)

I know people LOVE CVS and insist it is a MUST for development. I have to disagree completely. For one person on their own private home computer, it's not worth the trouble. The ONLY way I'd really look into CVS is if I was required to for work and if it was meant for an enterprise situation. But I don't have the time for this stuff for just me.

I have KDiff3 on the computer, which is also what I use (in dolphin) for comparing files and cleaning files.

Also I had tried Calligra Flow and found it to be more trouble than what it's worth. I can plan things far quicker and easier by just using an outline (like CherryTree) (before that I just wrote in the comments in the code).

I guess there's many ways to do things. But my way is to try and do things quickly, efficiently and without a ton of stuff to have to maintain.

I appreciate the advice, don't get me wrong. And I did give it a good try. But it won't work for what I want to do or what I need.

Return to “Code”