Getting started

Contribute code to SolydXK and make it even better.
jericho

Getting started

Postby jericho » 04 Jul 2014 00:08

I think I am settling on SolydK as my primary distribution and I would like to get involved with development. I am an IT professional by trade, but not a developer. I enjoy coding in Python and can find my around C and C++, though not as easily, but I am by no means a coder. Nevertheless, I'm interested in getting involved.

My problem is that I am illiterate when it comes to OSS development. I know how to code, but I am clueless about the infrastructure people use to collaborate on OSS projects. What do I need to learn in order to get started?

How do you know what needs to be worked on? Is there a ticketing system?
How do you check things out to work on them?
How do you check them back in when you are done?
How do you propose changes?
Is there a ticketing system or some list of things that need to be worked on somewhere?

I can code, but I have no clue how to collaborate.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Getting started

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 04 Jul 2014 08:17

Hi jericho,

I'm very happy you'd like to help coding, and making SolydXK even better!

I just finished a tutorial on git, and GitHub to get you started: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4222

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

kurotsugi

Re: Getting started

Postby kurotsugi » 04 Jul 2014 18:00

How do you know what needs to be worked on? Is there a ticketing system?
How do you check things out to work on them?
How do you check them back in when you are done?
How do you propose changes?
Is there a ticketing system or some list of things that need to be worked on somewhere?
most open source project are using github to manage their project. first of all, you'll need to download the source code and try to build the software in your system and check whether if it works or not.
- How do you know what needs to be worked on? Is there a ticketing system?
the easiest way, ask the developers or anyone who involved in that project. you can also try to debug the program and find whether if it has problem or not. else, you can create your own 'work' by adding more features, clean the scripts, perfecting how it works etc.
an open source project can be very huge. a developer usually didn't works on the whole project but rather on some spesific area which attract their attention.
- How do you check things out to work on them?
- How do you check them back in when you are done?
there's no easiest way. you'll need to rebuilt the software and check it by yourself.
- How do you propose changes?
after you done with your modification you can submit your work either by a pull request or submit a patch file to the developer. if you have a github account using pull request is easier but in case if you didn't have any you can submit your work in form of a patch file.

Return to “Code”