SolydXK MultiBoot App - Request for Comment

Contribute code to SolydXK and make it even better.
ScottQuier

Re: SolydXK MultiBoot App - Request for Comment

Postby ScottQuier » 21 Jul 2014 12:02

Yes, I did, in fact, post the cartoon.

I'm glad it makes sense to you know. And, now that you better understand the direction it's going ... any comments?
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 21 Jul 2014 13:49

Overall, the design is easy to use and intuitive. I still would like to see a separate button to list all the ISOs and the amount of space each ISO takes, sort of like an "overview".

In addition, will there be a way to add or edit the name of an ISO, such as maybe if someone wanted to name an ISO "SolydK" (which is what it would show up as in the Grub menu when booting the USB stick), then maybe later they want it to show up in the grub menu as "SolydK Home 64-bit" instead of what they may have originally set it as?

I guess in other words, an "ISO Menu Name" feature maybe under the Add ISO area?" Or is that automatically created?

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 21 Jul 2014 14:42

RavenLX wrote:Overall, the design is easy to use and intuitive. I still would like to see a separate button to list all the ISOs and the amount of space each ISO takes, sort of like an "overview".
Maybe - I'll take a closer look at that.
RavenLX wrote: In addition, will there be a way to add or edit the name of an ISO, such as maybe if someone wanted to name an ISO "SolydK" (which is what it would show up as in the Grub menu when booting the USB stick), then maybe later they want it to show up in the grub menu as "SolydK Home 64-bit" instead of what they may have originally set it as?

I guess in other words, an "ISO Menu Name" feature maybe under the Add ISO area?" Or is that automatically created?
Not in the first iteration. It's something to look at once we have a working and released version.
Scott

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 21 Jul 2014 16:38

Sounds good...

I still have to learn Glade. In the UP, my compiled Glade was upgraded so hopefully things will still work.

Also, can anyone submit ideas/code/glade ui ideas to your github or is it download only?

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 21 Jul 2014 17:32

RavenLX wrote:Sounds good...

I still have to learn Glade. In the UP, my compiled Glade was upgraded so hopefully things will still work.
The UP contained 3.18 (or something like that - I'm at work and don't rmember). However, I do know it has been performing much more solidly than the 3.16 (or whatever) that I compiled from source.
RavenLX wrote: Also, can anyone submit ideas/code/glade ui ideas to your github or is it download only?
[/quote]
Short answer Maybe and No.

Longer answer: Clone the git to your computer. Create a branch (again, on your computer). Modify/create files in the branch (not in *master) and then commit the branch back to the github (once Schoelje has give you permissions on the SolydXK github). If I understand things (and I'm still learning) that shouldn't over-write my stuff until I (or Schoelje) merge the branches. Don't ask me how that's done.
Scott

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 21 Jul 2014 18:56

No problem. I was just curious. I don't even know how to use github and don't have an accoun there (yet). But was just curious for future reference. I want to look into it in the future though so I can learn and participate more. I think my first step though is to learn Python/Glade.

As for the MultiBoot App, I'd be glad to discuss ideas, etc. and I think you still have my own MultiBoot Bash script I PM'ed you and Schoelje awhile back. I have no problems if either of you want to add it to the github as reference if you ever see fit. It's a very basic command line script but to tell you the truth, after I created the USB stick, I been just editint the grub.conf on the stick whenever I needed to make changes.

It would be great to have a GUI based application like you're making. It will make things so much easier!

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 21 Jul 2014 23:42

ScottQuier wrote:
RavenLX wrote:Overall, the design is easy to use and intuitive. I still would like to see a separate button to list all the ISOs and the amount of space each ISO takes, sort of like an "overview".
Maybe - I'll take a closer look at that.
You know .... there are some people that you really, really want to dis-like for all the trouble they cause :twisted: :mrgreen:

Just because of you, I've spent the last 4.5 hours figuring out how to load the list of ISO available for download. This meant
  1. read a CSV file,
  2. load it into a ListStore,
  3. use that ListStore to populate a TreeView control,
  4. and then display the results.
This is just a small test module with some of the configuration hard-wired, but I hope you like it!!!!! :twisted: :mrgreen: :evil: :mrgreen:
TreeView.jpg
Still yet to be done is to hide the URL and conver the ISO File Size to MB (or GB).

The "Refresh" button is going to disappear as this little window will download this small file each time it's loaded as it's only ~900 bytes.

Suitably parameterized and factored, this could also double as a "What's Already On The USB" list. We'll see, maybe in Rel 2.0? Unless I get a wild hair and do this before I get down to the serious work of the project.
Scott

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 22 Jul 2014 00:32

Oh my! :o That wasn't what I was talking about! I was talking about the list of iso's already on the USB drive! :oops:

And here you also came up with another neat feature that I never even thought about - and I get "blamed" for anyway. :lol:

Goes to show you what inspiration can do. Glad to be of help (not being sarcastic at all - I'm truely glad I'm inspiring at least something). :)

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 22 Jul 2014 00:41

After I built that thing and I was answering you post, I re-read you post and I'm like, "Hmmm, that's not what he was talking about." Oh, well, it's done and I think it can be used as the foundation for both functions. It'll take a bit more work, but I think it can be done.
Scott

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 22 Jul 2014 04:14

That's a good idea (used as both ISO on USB and ISO that can be downloaded) but, when I read that I was thinking, instead for the ISOs that you can download, maybe in selecting an ISO it can be put in there? Like a dialog window has an "open" but also "Download an ISO" sorta like when you make changes to KDE's themable areas (like desktop wallpaper) you can open a local file or "get more wallpapers" for example.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 22 Jul 2014 10:41

Not for the first rev - but it's not a bad idea.

Have to stop feature creep or it'll never get done. :)
Scott

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 22 Jul 2014 13:16

That's always my problem when developing; when to freeze the features and get started on code. I guess you have enough to go on now to get a good idea how you want to do it. Keep us updated on what you need help with next. :)

Return to “Code”