SolydXK OEM

Contribute code to SolydXK and make it even better.
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

SolydXK OEM

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 28 Jan 2015 08:15

I am planning to start a business for myself but to do so, I need to tackle some technical problems first. For an e-commerce site I've opened this topic: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=5193 and after the transition on January 31 I'd like to start on a OEM application.

Debian has no OEM configuration application. Ubuntu has it's oem-config but it seems very complicated and unadaptable for Debian.

I've tried to ask the Debian community but had no reaction whatsoever, but I think the logic is still valid:
  1. When running oem user, present user with installer like GUI to gather user information (user name, password, locale, etc.).
  2. Create the new user with the given information.
  3. Change locale accordingly.
  4. Create a script to run at boot/reboot once with systemd to remove the oem user (have to figure that out).
I've already implemented the possibility to boot a SolydXK ISO from Grub to make it possible for users to boot a live session if they need to repair their system: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?p=50118#p50118

Is the above logic enough and who would like to help me coding?

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Deleted User 2764

Re: SolydXK OEM

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 28 Jan 2015 14:59

I was wondering why a separate oem type thing? Once we convert to Jessie, couldn't you just use the existing isos we have now? They seem to be pretty intuitive as for booting up. Then folks could burn the ISO to DVD and use that as a live installer/rescue disk. That way you wouldn't have to re-invent the wheel?

If you're thinking of special branding, could you base it off of an existing iso but just change the branding a bit?

As for coding, I'm still learning Python and am still really busy with the work server thing. I think after the work server is up and running I'll start thinking about digging into coding things more.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 28 Jan 2015 15:08

The OEM package is needed for pre-installed hardware.

If the user first boots the system (laptop or PC) with SolydXK pre-installed, he/she must be presented with the possibility to configure the first user and localize the system. It's as if you are installing from the ISO but without actually installing because it is already installed on the system. Only the configuration is needed.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 28 Jan 2015 18:27

Ok, I see what you are saying. Maybe some of the installation script could be used for the user setup part of it?

I'm curious... Is this how it would go:

1. PC boots up with a script that runs first and auto-logs in as newuser in the GUI.

2. The user is presented with a wizard to set up user's name, username, password (and verify it), and time zone. Is there anything else we'd need from the user? Probalby not?

3. This information is set up and the system is rebooted.

4. The script always runs at startup and if it detects there are other users besides the default user, then it will (as root) delete the default user and allow the new user to log in.

5. If it detects no users on the system, then it re-creates the default user and goes through the startup process again (just in case someone removed their users).

Is this what you are thinking as the process on first boot? There would be this one script that would always run at startup to detect things. But it is a quick check and shouldn't slow down the boot process.

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 28 Jan 2015 23:34

I don't think you want the script to always run at startup and then deleting users. That just creates extra overhead and you risk deleting something important. Instead, you only want it to run the very first time the system boots. However, you will want to make that same "First Run Wizard" available to be run again later. Often times a person might skip through the info and not fill everything out completely. So they may want to go back and fill in the blanks later. So the "First Run Wizard" should be made available to run again later. It could either be placed on the desktop and the user could delete it later or it could just be in the menu tree somewhere.

Another thought is that maybe SolydXK needs to group all their tools into a "Solyd Tools" folder and you can find things like the First Run Wizard, Device Driver Manager, Software Manager, Update Manager etc in the Solyd Tools folder. Eventually as more tools are added the Solyd Tools folder could evolve into a Control Center of sorts. But for now it would just be a place that things like the First Run Wizard would be easy for a new user to find again later.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 28 Jan 2015 23:53

@Fargo: I like your ideas! And you're right about not deleting users on each run/startup. But how would the system know when the user has done the first run correctly? I guess it has to look for the default user and if it's not there then see to it at least one user is there? I don't know if they didn't fill out all the parts, then no user would be made and in that case, the default user should not be removed, come to think of it. So maybe checking for the presense of the default user would determine if one should run the first-run wizard or not?

Return to “Code”