Solydxk with BTRFS

Post your tutorials and howtos here.
level323

Solydxk with BTRFS

Postby level323 » 11 Jul 2017 00:15

mikef90000 wrote:
level323 wrote: .... snip ....
Not just beginners !!
In ancient history just after the wheel was invented IBM mainframes came along, and their sysprogs Always installed new O/S versions on a different HDD pack. If testing worked without significant impact it would be switched into production.
Same process with Cisco routers (which had separate O/S images on separate flash storage devices. Easy to switch out and roll back if needed.

When disk space became cheap enough I created multiple boot partitions and kept personal data on separate partitions as well.

True.

FWIW, I have (for around 3 years now) been running SolydK on a btrfs partition, with the OS and user data in separate subvols. So before I attempted the upgrade script I simply made a readonly snapshot of the OS subvol (which took <1sec) so that I could rollback almost instantly if the upgrade seriously borked itself. Turns out I didn't need to, which is even better. btrfs FTW!

HighFive

Re: SolydXK-9 beta: testing upgrade, ISOs, changes and more

Postby HighFive » 11 Jul 2017 00:44

level323 wrote: I simply made a readonly snapshot of the OS subvol (which took <1sec)

What tool, may I ask, did you use for this?
SolydX-8 64bit, Acer AO-722 11.6 inch netbook; or Lenovo X140e 11.6 inch netbook.

level323

Re: SolydXK-9 beta: testing upgrade, ISOs, changes and more

Postby level323 » 11 Jul 2017 01:06

HighFive wrote:
level323 wrote: I simply made a readonly snapshot of the OS subvol (which took <1sec)

What tool, may I ask, did you use for this?

The tools for managing btrfs subvolumes are available via the "btrfs-tools" package in the debian repos. The command to create a readonly snapshot is

Code: Select all

btrfs subvolume snapshot -r {PATH_TO_SUBVOL} {PATH_TO_SNAPSHOT}

Prior to debian/Solyd 9, a newer backported or custom-built kernel was necessary to use btrfs (because some bugs in the btrfs code of that age were problematic, in my experience). Now that Debian 9 is out, the default kernel (4.9) is new enough that the btrfs code therein is stable and works well for me on my "production" machines. It makes the prospect of using btrfs in Solyd (v9) very attractive indeed, IMO.

Obviously, the partition will need to be btrfs. The "default" partition type (ext4) that SolydK and Debian installers use by default doesn't have similar functionality. That said, even with ext4 it's not difficult to backup your entire filesystem in a manner that can be restored to a bootable state (it just takes a lot longer than creating a btrfs snapshot). The backup phase for ext4 can be as simple as a single 'tar' command. Unlike Windows, complete and restorable system backups can be conducted at the file level - no need to create copies of entire partitions. But that's another story.

Cheers

Return to “Tutorials”