[Semi-HOWTO] Sound Card / Audio Setup

Post your tutorials and howtos here.
jdhedden

[Semi-HOWTO] Sound Card / Audio Setup

Postby jdhedden » 29 Aug 2013 00:33

I encountered problems setting up audio after installing SolydX. I don't have an exact procedure to follow, but here is what I figured out for myself after reading several posts in the forums.

First of all, I did the recommended Pulseaudio removal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio*
sudo apt-get remove pavucontrol
Next, was understanding which sound cards are detected by the system, and in what order:

cat /proc/asound/cards
For me, this produced:

0 [ICH6           ]: ICH4 - Intel ICH6
                      Intel ICH6 with AD1980 at irq 23
 1 [Generic        ]: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
                      HD-Audio Generic at 0xdfddc000 irq 43
 2 [Audigy2        ]: Audigy2 - SB Audigy 2 ZS [SB0353]
                      SB Audigy 2 ZS [SB0353] (rev.4, serial:0x10031102) at 0xccc0, irq 18
This shows my built-in sound card is first, the sound output from my video card is second, and my Soundblaster card is third.

The first card will be the default for any app that produces audio. This can become a pain if it's not the one you want to use by default because you have to select a different sound source within the app provided, of course, it even lets you do so.

In my case, I want my Soundblaster card to be the default. This can be done by setting the sound card ordering in the Alsa config file. To do this, I first need to know the drivers used by my sound cards:

inxi -Ax
This produced:

Audio:     Card-1: Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller
           driver: snd_intel8x0 ports: ec00 e8c0 bus-ID: 00:1e.2
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Turks/Whistler HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6000 Series]
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
           Card-3: Creative Labs SB Audigy driver: snd_emu10k1 port: ccc0 bus-ID: 04:02.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.9-1-686-pae
In my case, the drivers are: snd_intel8x0, snd_hda_intel and snd_emu10k1.

Now, I can set the sound card ordering with:

sudo gvim /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
At the top of the file, I added the following:

options snd-emu10k1 index=0
options snd-intel8x0 index=1
options snd-hda-intel index=2
After a reboot, I check the order again:

cat /proc/asound/cards
This now produces:

0 [Audigy2        ]: Audigy2 - SB Audigy 2 ZS [SB0353]
                      SB Audigy 2 ZS [SB0353] (rev.4, serial:0x10031102) at 0xccc0, irq 18
 1 [ICH6           ]: ICH4 - Intel ICH6
                      Intel ICH6 with AD1980 at irq 23
 2 [Generic        ]: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
                      HD-Audio Generic at 0xdfddc000 irq 43
which is just what I want.

I then run the Audio Mixer from the menu, and make sure my Soundblaster card is selected so that my Audio Mixer panel plugin can be used to adjust the volume,

If the above doesn't fix things for you, and you're using HD audio, you can look here for more information: Sound Card Database: http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=137
Jerry : SolydX / Siduction / Liquorix Kernel / Dell XPS 8700 / NVIDIA GeForce GT 635

TeaSwigger

Re: [Semi-HOWTO] Sound Card / Audio Setup

Postby TeaSwigger » 11 Oct 2013 03:17

In case it may help anyone else, if anyone has the sound card I have - ASUS Xonar Essence ST (a top end internal PCI card) - the removal of pulseaudio as per the guide above:

sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio*
is adviseable at this time. SolydK then defaults to ALSA, which works fine. You can then control various card features (output, headphone impedence) in kmix. Where applicable, one can avoid conflicts by disabling any other on-board sound; for example the mother board of this PC has on-board sound which can be disabled in BIOS settings.
"You can't get to wonderful without passing through alright" -Bill Withers

SolydK 64-bit - AMD Quad Core - 4GB RAM - accursed NVIDIA GeForce 5800 graphics - lovely ASUS Xonar Essence ST sound

Return to “Tutorials”