Join the SolydXK Testing Squad

Post your tutorials and howtos here.
User avatar
zerozero
Posts: 5373
Joined: 10 Feb 2013 23:37
Location: West Midlands, England
Contact:

Join the SolydXK Testing Squad

Postby zerozero » 10 Mar 2013 04:05

This is the home of the brave

what we do? it's our mission to
  • find the bugs
  • look for the solutions
  • provide a stable UP
what we need?
  • desire to help
  • time (specially between the 1st and 15th of January, April, July and October.)
  • enjoy breakages
how we do it (the real deal)
  • we have to change our sources.list to solydXK testing
  • in SolydX

    Code: Select all

    gksu mousepad /etc/apt/sources.list
  • in SolydK

    Code: Select all

    kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list

    Code: Select all

    deb http://packages.solydxk.com/testing/ solydxk main upstream import
    deb http://debian.solydxk.com/testing testing main contrib non-free
    deb http://debian.solydxk.com/testing/multimedia testing main non-free
    deb http://debian.solydxk.com/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
    deb http://community.solydxk.com/testing/ solydxk main
    In fact, you only need to replace "production" with "testing".
  • we should update the system

    Code: Select all

    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
  • findings should be reported >> here <<
can we opt-out
  • sure, anytime, preferably right after an UP goes to Production
  • we just have to swap testing for production and we are again on stable track
  • just for reference the production repos are as follow

    Code: Select all

    deb http://packages.solydxk.com/production/ solydxk main upstream import
    deb http://debian.solydxk.com/production testing main contrib non-free
    deb http://debian.solydxk.com/production/multimedia testing main non-free
    deb http://debian.solydxk.com/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
    deb http://community.solydxk.com/production/ solydxk main
final notes
  • special information regarding the updates will be published in the dedicated sub-forum
  • questions regarding the conversion please post here, regarding updates on the the specific forum
bliss of ignorance

User avatar
BostonPeng
Posts: 472
Joined: 28 Feb 2013 14:35
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Join the SolydXK Testing Squad

Postby BostonPeng » 10 Mar 2013 15:42

I'd love to be a part of the SolydXK testing team. I'm getting ready to snag KDE 4.9.5 packages so would that impact my ability to test the UP packages? If so I'd want to take some time to determine what's more important to me, getting the latest KDE goodness or helping make the UP process and SolydXK better for everyone. (That's going to be a tough question to answer because I want to do anything I can to help SolydXK succeed.)
J.M. Hardin

System:
ASUS X555LA notebook

User avatar
CjTX2
Posts: 170
Joined: 23 Feb 2013 15:42
Location: Texas

Re: Join the SolydXK Testing Squad

Postby CjTX2 » 10 Mar 2013 15:45

OK, I am a not-so-new newbie and Garfield is ready to be a guinea pig, so count us in. :roll: :lol: I have two partitions set up for SolydX Testing. One is with NVidia driver installed and the other is out of the box open source. Once I change the sources lists, do I need to do anything else? Or just wait for the 1st of the month updates and then see if I can find anything broken to report?

Building new machine named Garfield II & still using an old T42 Thinkpad that's old and slow, but just keeps on going and going . . . sorta like me! :lol:

User avatar
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin
Posts: 9286
Joined: 26 Jan 2013 19:36
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Join the SolydXK Testing Squad

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 10 Mar 2013 15:58

BostonPeng wrote:I'd love to be a part of the SolydXK testing team. I'm getting ready to snag KDE 4.9.5 packages so would that impact my ability to test the UP packages? If so I'd want to take some time to determine what's more important to me, getting the latest KDE goodness or helping make the UP process and SolydXK better for everyone. (That's going to be a tough question to answer because I want to do anything I can to help SolydXK succeed.)
It would certaily impact testing on the UP:
Pro: you can give insight in how KDE 4.9.5 works with the UP packs, and we can understand what we're up against when it'll hit testing.
Con: The majority of the users will run the current KDE. So, they won't benefit from your information.

Either way, it'll be beneficial for SolydXK: go for it!


SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

User avatar
zerozero
Posts: 5373
Joined: 10 Feb 2013 23:37
Location: West Midlands, England
Contact:

Re: Join the SolydXK Testing Squad

Postby zerozero » 10 Mar 2013 15:59

BostonPeng
thanks a lot for an interesting and not at all easy question :lol:
i will come to you back later with an answer

CjTX2
tks a lot for joining the squad 8-)
at this point the only things you have to do is:
  • 1) change sources.list
  • 2) dist-upgrade just because :lol: (you won't get any new packages today but it's a good practice to train the muscles)
  • 3) subscribe our forum http://forums.solydxk.com/viewforum.php?f=33 (it's that green + on the right side of the page; this way you'll be notified of any topics posted there
bliss of ignorance

User avatar
BostonPeng
Posts: 472
Joined: 28 Feb 2013 14:35
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Join the SolydXK Testing Squad

Postby BostonPeng » 10 Mar 2013 16:02

Schoelje wrote:
BostonPeng wrote:I'd love to be a part of the SolydXK testing team. I'm getting ready to snag KDE 4.9.5 packages so would that impact my ability to test the UP packages? If so I'd want to take some time to determine what's more important to me, getting the latest KDE goodness or helping make the UP process and SolydXK better for everyone. (That's going to be a tough question to answer because I want to do anything I can to help SolydXK succeed.)
It would certaily impact testing on the UP:
Pro: you can give insight in how KDE 4.9.5 works with the UP packs, and we can understand what we're up against when it'll hit testing.
Con: The majority of the users will run the current KDE. So, they won't benefit from your information.

Either way, it'll be beneficial for SolydXK: go for it!
Thanks Schoelje. I hadn't even thought of that third possibility. Of course that makes the choice even harder, but what's life without a good hard question from time to time, right? It keeps the brain nimble.
J.M. Hardin

System:
ASUS X555LA notebook

User avatar
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin
Posts: 9286
Joined: 26 Jan 2013 19:36
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Join the SolydXK Testing Squad

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 10 Mar 2013 16:03

CjTX2 wrote:OK, I am a not-so-new newbie and Garfield is ready to be a guinea pig, so count us in. :roll: :lol: I have two partitions set up for SolydX Testing. One is with NVidia driver installed and the other is out of the box open source. Once I change the sources lists, do I need to do anything else? Or just wait for the 1st of the month updates and then see if I can find anything broken to report?
Great, but does our guinea pig already know that you enlisted him? :lol:

We will announce any changes to the testing repository before they are implemented. We're working on something, but it's going to take some time and preliminary testing.


SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

User avatar
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin
Posts: 9286
Joined: 26 Jan 2013 19:36
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Join the SolydXK Testing Squad

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 10 Mar 2013 16:04

BostonPeng wrote:Thanks Schoelje. I hadn't even thought of that third possibility. Of course that makes the choice even harder, but what's life without a good hard question from time to time, right? It keeps the brain nimble.
I aim to serve! :D


SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

User avatar
CjTX2
Posts: 170
Joined: 23 Feb 2013 15:42
Location: Texas

Re: Join the SolydXK Testing Squad

Postby CjTX2 » 10 Mar 2013 16:23

Great, but does our guinea pig already know that you enlisted him? :lol:
Oh, yes! He will do anything for the new SolydX treats I have been giving him. :lol:

Building new machine named Garfield II & still using an old T42 Thinkpad that's old and slow, but just keeps on going and going . . . sorta like me! :lol:

cwwgateway
Posts: 1215
Joined: 23 Feb 2013 19:14

Re: Join the SolydXK Testing Squad

Postby cwwgateway » 10 Mar 2013 16:45

It's great to see some eager testers :D . BostenPeng, I face the same problem. My KDE install is the only one I have pointed to the SolydXK repos (SolydXK Testing), so it's what I use to provide specific SolydXK info (stuff that you can't do with an install pointing to Debian Testing). However, I'd like to try KDE 4.9. Either way it's all good (if need be I'll run a KDE 4.8 VM).

CjTX2, I wonder if having an animal test the UPs will lend perspective :lol:
[rimg]http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/1527 ... laptop.jpg[/rimg]
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

User avatar
CjTX2
Posts: 170
Joined: 23 Feb 2013 15:42
Location: Texas

Re: Join the SolydXK Testing Squad

Postby CjTX2 » 10 Mar 2013 18:06

:lol: cww:
Have you seen:
How fast they run on a wheel? Speed is good.
How they stuff their cheeks? More in a smaller package is good.
They stick to basics and keep life simple.
Yep, I think perspective that looks from all angles is good. :lol:

Building new machine named Garfield II & still using an old T42 Thinkpad that's old and slow, but just keeps on going and going . . . sorta like me! :lol:

User avatar
GeneC
Posts: 747
Joined: 12 Feb 2013 17:49
Location: Woods of Maine

Re: Join the SolydXK Testing Squad

Postby GeneC » 10 Mar 2013 18:51

Already have one installation of SolydX tracking Debian Testing (which will help in debugging).

Just converted my 2nd "Vanilla" install of SolydX to track the SolydXK "testing' repos..

I expect zero big issues, as I (and others) have been tracking Debian SID on LMDE for ages with no problems. Certainly expect some when Wheezy goes stable in the not too distant future (next month?)....
GeneC

Debian (Testing)
Siduction (Debian SID)

cwwgateway
Posts: 1215
Joined: 23 Feb 2013 19:14

Re: Join the SolydXK Testing Squad

Postby cwwgateway » 10 Mar 2013 18:57

Gene, good to see you again :D .

SolydXK Testing might just surprise you, but hopefully in a good way. It's definitely possible there will be some breakages when Wheezy comes out (hopefully not a problem until the June UP, but it could affect the May one).
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

User avatar
GeneC
Posts: 747
Joined: 12 Feb 2013 17:49
Location: Woods of Maine

Re: Join the SolydXK Testing Squad

Postby GeneC » 10 Mar 2013 19:02

Hi cww... :)

Yes, Debian Testing and SID have been WAY too quite. Heck. its kinda like running a Mac OS... :lol:
GeneC

Debian (Testing)
Siduction (Debian SID)

cwwgateway
Posts: 1215
Joined: 23 Feb 2013 19:14

Re: Join the SolydXK Testing Squad

Postby cwwgateway » 10 Mar 2013 19:16

GeneC wrote:Hi cww... :)

Yes, Debian Testing and SID have been WAY too quite. Heck. its kinda like running a Mac OS... :lol:
Yeah, been running one Arch install because I've gotten so bored :lol: . Hopefully they'll liven up a little bit soon 8-) .
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

User avatar
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin
Posts: 9286
Joined: 26 Jan 2013 19:36
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Join the SolydXK Testing Squad

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 10 Mar 2013 19:21

Hi GeneC! Good to see you.
I'm happy you're going to help testing.


SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

User avatar
zerozero
Posts: 5373
Joined: 10 Feb 2013 23:37
Location: West Midlands, England
Contact:

Re: Join the SolydXK Testing Squad

Postby zerozero » 10 Mar 2013 19:21

hey buddy 8-) nice to see you around again :ugeek:
you will enjoy our test squad
bliss of ignorance

User avatar
GeneC
Posts: 747
Joined: 12 Feb 2013 17:49
Location: Woods of Maine

Re: Join the SolydXK Testing Squad

Postby GeneC » 10 Mar 2013 21:10

Hi Schoelje and 'zz'.. :D

Looks like membership is rising quite quickly. Only official a week, and 84 members. As soon as we get reviewed on Distrowatch things will rise even more rapidly...

As mentioned, I won't be able to be around as much as I would like, but will be glad to help with testing, et.

Best Wishes..
GeneC

Debian (Testing)
Siduction (Debian SID)

cwwgateway
Posts: 1215
Joined: 23 Feb 2013 19:14

Re: Join the SolydXK Testing Squad

Postby cwwgateway » 10 Mar 2013 21:16

GeneC wrote:Hi Schoelje and 'zz'.. :D

Looks like membership is rising quite quickly. Only official a week, and 84 members. As soon as we get reviewed on Distrowatch things will rise even more rapidly...

As mentioned, I won't be able to be around as much as I would like, but will be glad to help with testing, et.

Best Wishes..
Looking forward to having you testing Gene :) .

Definitely good progress, and I'm sure as the word gets out we will get more members/users. A distrowatch review would be great, and I believe we are going to be reviewed in the Full Circle Magazine (the coming issue).
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

User avatar
CjTX2
Posts: 170
Joined: 23 Feb 2013 15:42
Location: Texas

Re: Join the SolydXK Testing Squad

Postby CjTX2 » 10 Mar 2013 21:47

Gene! :D Missed you, glad to see you back.

OK. Fair warning -- Newbie alert.

I am trying to change the sources list on my test drive. I went to Update Manager/Edit/Software Sources/Other Software and highlighted line 2 then hit edit at the bottom and got a pop up called Edit Source. I am not sure what to choose from drop down or what to fill in the spaces. (Sorry, I cannot get a screenshot to work.) This route is proving to be problematic for me. :x

Sooooo . . . (I cannot believe I am actually begging for this, but) can you just give me the code for the terminal? Or (uneasy feeling as I think I hear faint geek laughter in the background) have you done that already? :? :oops: What am I missing or doing wrong?

Also, before I forget. I notice that in the highlighted line 2 from above the "/" after production is missing on my list here. Is it just my machine? Is that a problem for getting the updates or just a simple typo correction for the "to do list"?

Building new machine named Garfield II & still using an old T42 Thinkpad that's old and slow, but just keeps on going and going . . . sorta like me! :lol:


Return to “Tutorials”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests