[HOWTO] Create a Razor-Qt DE + build/install 3rd party apps

Post your tutorials and howtos here.
Snap

Re: [HOWTO] Create a Razor-Qt DE + build/install 3rd party a

Postby Snap » 31 Aug 2014 10:02

I've downloaded Siduction a few days ago but haven't went through it yet. Will put a VM to work today.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 31 Aug 2014 13:19

Snap wrote:I've downloaded Siduction a few days ago but haven't went through it yet.
Their live installer is a bit odd, web based, runs in Qupzilla. The trick for me was to back off and study it a bit, in the end it wasn't hard to get used to, just like the Solyd installer with slightly different terminology used. I was able to install it successfully many times, fitting it nicely into my multiboot setup (rather than using VMs I prefer to simply create more partitions).

I got it to overwrite an existing partition, also got it to use an existing empty partition without formatting. It always picked up my pre-existing swap; the key there was not to "mention" swap at all during installation. In fact the only thing I set up during the installs was the root, as my main drive contains nothing but OS partitions and all data is stored on external usb drives.

Was able to successfully install grub into the pbr. This is not strictly necessary with multi-boot as the main (mbr) grub's os-prober always finds the other partitions, however I do it anyway just in case, as a properly maintained/updated grub in each pbr (with os-prober disabled), seems to make for a much saner main/mbr grub menu.

Snap

Postby Snap » 01 Sep 2014 06:26

Yes, the installer was surprising but had no issues at all.

But know what. My first impressions with LXQt are not very good. I Prefer Razor as is. This thing is more Lxde-ish than Razor-ish than what I would have liked to see.

Is there any way to recover the right click razor style menu? Missing that feature alone will pull me back, but it's not the only one.

Snap

Postby Snap » 01 Sep 2014 07:54

One question. When building qtermwidget and q terminal I got stuck at this step

Code: Select all

qtermwidget # mv qtermwidget qtermwidget-0.4.0
Was not sure about the correct version since this howto was a few months old. I surfed the web for the current versions and didn't managed to find the version numbers, so I just typed the version numbers hushpuppy used and kept going. But I this is not the best way to go, isn't it? How to get the proper versions? I mean for the forthcoming packaging? They were not into the working directory or the readme file either. Is this normal?

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 01 Sep 2014 13:22

Snap wrote:Was not sure about the correct version since this howto was a few months old .... How to get the proper versions? I mean for the forthcoming packaging? They were not into the working directory or the readme file either. Is this normal?
I wish I knew what is considered normal, I'm newer to this than you are.. :) As I can't find a reference to anything newer, I'd say go with what's there.... ;)

Snap

Postby Snap » 01 Sep 2014 13:50

I wish I knew what is considered normal
Me too. I guess is not a very good practice adding random or arbitrary version numberings to any built and installed packages, but why they are not provided? :roll:

Snap

Postby Snap » 01 Sep 2014 18:57

Now this starts to look much better. Disabled the Razor panel and dropped in tint2 and a couple of my usual conkys like in my OpenBox days. :mrgreen:

Haven't tweaked the right side conky to match the left one (font and appearance) yet. But starts to look pleasant. Tint2 is also provisional. Still testing things. Of course it autohides (disabled for the shot).

Cannot figure out how to show the Razor applets in the systray. Looking for alternatives, but haven't found Qt choices for now. Plenty of GTK whatsoever. :roll:

hushpuppy

Postby hushpuppy » 01 Sep 2014 19:42

Snap wrote:One question. When building qtermwidget and q terminal I got stuck at this step

qtermwidget # mv qtermwidget qtermwidget-0.4.0
Trying to figure out the current version is one of my (many) pet peeves about git. After git clone, I usually do

$ find . -not -type d | xargs grep VERSION
and look at the output

./qtermwidget/cmake/qtermwidget4-config.cmake.in:set(QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MAJOR @QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MAJOR@)
./qtermwidget/cmake/qtermwidget4-config.cmake.in:set(QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MINOR @QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MINOR@)
./qtermwidget/cmake/qtermwidget4-config.cmake.in:set(QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_PATCH @QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_PATCH@)
./qtermwidget/cmake/qtermwidget4-config.cmake.in:set(QTERMWIDGET_VERSION @QTERMWIDGET_VERSION@)
./qtermwidget/cmake/qtermwidget5-config.cmake.in:set(QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MAJOR @QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MAJOR@)
./qtermwidget/cmake/qtermwidget5-config.cmake.in:set(QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MINOR @QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MINOR@)
./qtermwidget/cmake/qtermwidget5-config.cmake.in:set(QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_PATCH @QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_PATCH@)
./qtermwidget/cmake/qtermwidget5-config.cmake.in:set(QTERMWIDGET_VERSION @QTERMWIDGET_VERSION@)
./qtermwidget/lib/Emulation.cpp://OLDER VERSION
./qtermwidget/lib/kpty.cpp:#if defined(_POSIX_VERSION) || defined(__svr4__)
./qtermwidget/lib/TerminalDisplay.cpp:#if QT_VERSION >= 0x040800
./qtermwidget/CMakeLists.txt:cmake_minimum_required( VERSION 2.8 )
./qtermwidget/CMakeLists.txt:set ( QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MAJOR "0" )
./qtermwidget/CMakeLists.txt:set ( QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MINOR "5" )
./qtermwidget/CMakeLists.txt:set ( QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_PATCH "1" )
./qtermwidget/CMakeLists.txt:set ( QTERMWIDGET_VERSION "${QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MAJOR}.${QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MINOR}.${QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_PATCH}" )
./qtermwidget/CMakeLists.txt:                       SOVERSION ${QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MAJOR}
./qtermwidget/CMakeLists.txt:                       VERSION ${QTERMWIDGET_VERSION}
./qtermwidget/CMakeLists.txt:    "QTermWidget library for Qt ${QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MAJOR}.x"
./qtermwidget/CMakeLists.txt:    ${QTERMWIDGET_VERSION}
./qtermwidget/CMakeLists.txt:SET(CPACK_PACKAGE_VERSION ${QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MAJOR}.${QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MINOR}.${QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_PATCH})
./qtermwidget/CMakeLists.txt:SET(CPACK_SOURCE_PACKAGE_FILE_NAME "${CPACK_PACKAGE_NAME}-${CPACK_PACKAGE_VERSION}")
So, in this case it's 0.5.1.

You should use the proper version number if you can, since dh_make uses the version part in the directory name, and dpkg-buildpackage uses the value in parentheses in the debian/changelog.
Ohne Musik wäre das Leben ein Irrtum (Without music, life would be a mistake) - Friedrich Nietzsche

Snap

Postby Snap » 01 Sep 2014 20:01

Gorgeous! Thanks a bunch! :mrgreen:

hushpuppy

Postby hushpuppy » 01 Sep 2014 20:20

Version Control.

For Debian's current policy on version control, see 5.6.12 Version

In general, the version number of a package is:

[epoch:]upstream_version[-debian_revision]
If, for example, we use git to clone a package

$ git clone 'https://github.com/qterminal/qtermwidget.git'
Cloning into 'qtermwidget'...
remote: Counting objects: 869, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (16/16), done.
remote: Total 869 (delta 7), reused 0 (delta 0)
Receiving objects: 100% (869/869), 662.56 KiB | 102.00 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (586/586), done.
Checking connectivity... done.
We can find the version with

$ find . -not -type d | xargs grep VERSION
./qtermwidget/cmake/qtermwidget4-config.cmake.in:set(QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MAJOR @QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MAJOR@)
./qtermwidget/cmake/qtermwidget4-config.cmake.in:set(QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MINOR @QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MINOR@)
./qtermwidget/cmake/qtermwidget4-config.cmake.in:set(QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_PATCH @QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_PATCH@)
./qtermwidget/cmake/qtermwidget4-config.cmake.in:set(QTERMWIDGET_VERSION @QTERMWIDGET_VERSION@)
./qtermwidget/cmake/qtermwidget5-config.cmake.in:set(QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MAJOR @QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MAJOR@)
./qtermwidget/cmake/qtermwidget5-config.cmake.in:set(QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MINOR @QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MINOR@)
./qtermwidget/cmake/qtermwidget5-config.cmake.in:set(QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_PATCH @QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_PATCH@)
./qtermwidget/cmake/qtermwidget5-config.cmake.in:set(QTERMWIDGET_VERSION @QTERMWIDGET_VERSION@)
./qtermwidget/lib/Emulation.cpp://OLDER VERSION
./qtermwidget/lib/kpty.cpp:#if defined(_POSIX_VERSION) || defined(__svr4__)
./qtermwidget/lib/TerminalDisplay.cpp:#if QT_VERSION >= 0x040800
./qtermwidget/CMakeLists.txt:cmake_minimum_required( VERSION 2.8 )
./qtermwidget/CMakeLists.txt:set ( QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MAJOR "0" )
./qtermwidget/CMakeLists.txt:set ( QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MINOR "5" )
./qtermwidget/CMakeLists.txt:set ( QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_PATCH "1" )
./qtermwidget/CMakeLists.txt:set ( QTERMWIDGET_VERSION "${QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MAJOR}.${QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MINOR}.${QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_PATCH}" )
./qtermwidget/CMakeLists.txt:                       SOVERSION ${QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MAJOR}
./qtermwidget/CMakeLists.txt:                       VERSION ${QTERMWIDGET_VERSION}
./qtermwidget/CMakeLists.txt:    "QTermWidget library for Qt ${QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MAJOR}.x"
./qtermwidget/CMakeLists.txt:    ${QTERMWIDGET_VERSION}
./qtermwidget/CMakeLists.txt:SET(CPACK_PACKAGE_VERSION ${QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MAJOR}.${QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_MINOR}.${QTERMWIDGET_VERSION_PATCH})
./qtermwidget/CMakeLists.txt:SET(CPACK_SOURCE_PACKAGE_FILE_NAME "${CPACK_PACKAGE_NAME}-${CPACK_PACKAGE_VERSION}")
So, the version is 0.5.1

Now, we rename the directory to the upstream version

$ mv qtermwidget{,-0.5.1}
When we run dh_make, we see that the version has been taken from the directory name

$ dh_make --createorig 

Type of package: single binary, indep binary, multiple binary, library, kernel module, kernel patch?
 [s/i/m/l/k/n] s

Maintainer name  : root
Email-Address    : root@mint 
Date             : Mon, 01 Sep 2014 20:56:50 +0100
Package Name     : qtermwidget
Version          : 0.5.1
License          : blank
Type of Package  : Single
If debian/changelog doesn't exist, it gets created and the debian-revision is set automatically

$ cat debian/changelog
qtermwidget (0.5.1-1) unstable; urgency=low

* Initial release (Closes: #nnnn)  <nnnn is the bug number of your ITP>

-- root <root@mint>  Mon, 01 Sep 2014 20:56:50 +0100
Note that dh_make relies on the directory name; dpkg-buildpackage relies on the changelog.

ETA:Some projects may already include a debian (or debian.old, or similar) folder, so check to see if debian*/changelog already exists. Also, there may be a changelog file in the source which may indicates the current version.

Also, I don't know why dh_make uses @mint in the e-mail address. I'll see if I can find out.

This should be enough for simple projects but, if you think anything in this, or previous posts, needs expanding upon, let me know and I'll try to answer if I can.
Ohne Musik wäre das Leben ein Irrtum (Without music, life would be a mistake) - Friedrich Nietzsche

Snap

Postby Snap » 01 Sep 2014 20:39

...and getting better. Thanks so much, huspuppy. Going over it.

hushpuppy

Postby hushpuppy » 02 Sep 2014 19:17

Only because we love Debian, because we never mock or ridicule it, because we never suggest that it is anything other than... seriously, who am I kidding?

Why does dh_make use mint as the email address? Quoting the debian wiki completely out of context:
The File /etc/mailname is used by the MTA packages to determine - what?
I am unsure why this seems to be unclearly defined policy.
Unfortunately, there is no clearly defined policy
If your system is set to mint and you want to change it to something more meaningful, the debian reference manual gives some suggestions and a list of mail address related configuration files.

ETA: Or, from the man page,

dh_make makes several attempts to obtain the username. It first checks for the environment variables $DEBFULLNAME, $LOGNAME is  used to find a name in the /etc/passwd file, and through NIS, YP and LDAP.

The  e-mail  address  can either be specified with the -fB--email option or dh_make will attempt to find it. It will first check the environment variables $DEBEMAIL and then $EMAIL. If they are not set then dh_make will search  an  available  LDAP  directory  using ldapsearch(1)  using  $LOGNAME  as  the  uid  to  search under.  Finally it will use $LOGNAME and /etc/mailname to generate an email address.
If you choose to use environment variables, you can use

$ cat >>~/.bashrc <<EOF
DEBEMAIL="your.email.address@example.org"
DEBFULLNAME="Firstname Lastname"
export DEBEMAIL DEBFULLNAME
EOF
$ . ~/.bashrc
to set them up.

Snap

Postby Snap » 03 Sep 2014 04:18

Why does dh_make use mint as the email address?
Mint! I guess some configs were borrowed from there, but are you talking of Debian or Solyd?

BTW, Thanks for the link to the maintainers guide. Going through it.

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/main ... ex.en.html

hushpuppy

Postby hushpuppy » 03 Sep 2014 07:16

Snap wrote:
Mint! I guess some configs were borrowed from there, but are you talking of Debian or Solyd?
It's most likely an old config solyd took from mint. I've searched debian (https://packages.debian.org/file:mailname) and /var/lib/dpkg/*.list, and can't see what's responsible for creating the file in the first place. The answer is probably buried in the docs somewhere...

Return to “Tutorials”