Grub rescue

Post your tutorials and howtos here.
Fargo

Re: Grub rescue

Postby Fargo » 27 May 2014 21:45

Can someone help me out here: I just did the April update and lost my grub. I get the grub rescue prompt so I tried Schoeljes advice, but it did not help. Using the

Code: Select all

ls
I can see the hard drives, but as soon as I try

Code: Select all

cd
. I get an error that the command is not known. I tried to use the "set prefix" and set root commands he listed but that still didn't get me anyway. I've already wasted to much time on this today, so I might be slow at responding, but please provide any help you can. I will try all options later tonight.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 27 May 2014 22:16

Fargo
you might want to try this >> http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3509
it's reported to have good results in those situations
bliss of ignorance

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 28 May 2014 00:55

Thanks zerozero - I was going to burn a new solydK dvd when I remembered that someone mentioned PartedMagic had grub-doctor on it. So I got a hold of PartedMagic and tried that first. Mostly because I like GUI options. Low and behold grub-doctor worked. So thank you to dyfi for mentioning that. I think grub-doctor and memtest should be 2 extras that are on the live SolydXK dvd. They are handy tools.

I did notice that my grub now has 2 entries. One for SolydXK and one for SolydXK Extras. The extras entry has all the old kernel options. Is this they way SolydXK is now setup or is this something grub-doctor did. Eitherway, I really like this setup. It really cleans up the the grub menu.

So the good news is that I am up and running again. The bad news is that I am done with rolling releases. Even SolydK has given me too much trouble during updates. I prefer the safer and simpler security updates of Debian stable. I've never had an issue with SolydK BE. I'll deal with fresh installs or full updates every 3 years. So as much as I like having the newer software found in the semi rolling release of SolydK HE, I will be keeping all my future OSs in the debian stable category. The great news is that SoyldXK offers me this option with the Business Edition. I'll likely keep the home edition on my home computer until Jessie is stable, but once the new Jessie based Business Editions are out, I will be exclusively SolydXK Business Edition.

So thank you for all the help and thank you for the Business Editions. I love SolydXK. Great people. Great Choices. Hey, that could be a tagline for SolydXK.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 28 May 2014 01:31

Fargo wrote:I did notice that my grub now has 2 entries. One for SolydXK and one for SolydXK Extras. The extras entry has all the old kernel options. Is this they way SolydXK is now setup or is this something grub-doctor did. Eitherway, I really like this setup. It really cleans up the the grub menu.
yes, this is the layout of the new grub.

i wasn't aware of grub-doctor, looks like an interesting script :)
bliss of ignorance

Return to “Tutorials”