[Experienced users only]: Have a glass of Australis

Post your tutorials and howtos here.
zerozero

[Experienced users only]: Have a glass of Australis

Postby zerozero » 23 Jan 2014 22:11

:lol: no, not an invitation to drink

Iframe is not allowed anymore. Click here to watch the movie.
^^ this ^^
===
FF v.29 will bring a major UI redesign called Australis (what you see in the vid above)

if you fell brave enough to try it now and start hating it :lol: in advance you can!
[be aware that it's available in the mozilla nightly channel meaning that is like beta quality software - anyway i'm using it for more than a week and it's fine]
the few extensions that i had are compatible
note also that it won't overwrite the regular FF installation (the one installed from the repo);
you can't run both at the same time however.

===
get the binary from
http://nightly.mozilla.org/
unpack the tar.bz2 and making sure no other FF instance is running click the firefox (or firefox-bin) executable
[that simple 8-) ]
snapshot183.png
bliss of ignorance

Night Wing

Re: [Experienced users only]: Have a glass of Australis

Postby Night Wing » 24 Jan 2014 06:02

I'm not looking forward to Australis. Australis just looks like a Google Chrome clone and I dislike the look of Chrome/Chromium.

I wish I knew how to install the 64-bit linux 24.2.0 ESR version of Firefox so I can avoid Australis until Firefox 31.0 ESR comes along. I know how to extract the file from the tarball, but I've been experiencing total failure when using the terminal trying to install it.

I could install the 17 ESR linux versions of Firefox, but the commands I used in the terminal to install don't work for 24 ESR.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 24 Jan 2014 20:31

there's clearly design similarities between the 2 projects but hardly clones
snapshot184.png
bliss of ignorance

smitty1

Postby smitty1 » 24 Jan 2014 22:31

I am quite enjoying my "glass of Australis". I like what they have done with the UI,especially the active tab emphasis
To each his own 8-)

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

ane champenois

Postby ane champenois » 14 Feb 2014 09:34

And now, it's in the alpha version of Firefox, Aurora:
https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases ... ox-aurora/
with a new firefox sync system ;)
@ Night Wing: I can understand your 'deception' but be sure you can have the 'old' interface with some add-ons...and you 'll have best of both worlds: security, new features and a classic look. 8-)
They did not know it was impossible so they did it.

Night Wing

Postby Night Wing » 14 Feb 2014 13:47

@ane champenois,

When I'm in Windows, I mainly use two browsers. My default is Pale Moon 24.3.2 and my backup is Firefox 24.3.0 ESR . Pale Moon is not going with the Australis UI look when Australis is released to the public in Firefox 29. Since I use the ESR versions of Firefox, I won't have to deal with Australis in Windows 7 until version 31.0 ESR is released. Also, since version 12 of Firefox, the Firefox developers have deleted some coding which I wished they wouldn't have (download manager and other things too numerous to mention), but the Pale Moon author has brought back. This is why I basically prefer Pale Moon over Firefox since I used less add-ons in Pale Moon than I do in Firefox.

Pale Moon is based on the ESR versions of Firefox so I get the classic old Firefox look which I prefer until version 31.0 ESR is released for Windows. But, with the advent of Australis, I'll see if the author of Pale Moon is forced to follow the Australis look or if he makes a complete fork from Firefox when Firefox 31.0 ESR goes public. Right now, the author of Pale Moon on his Forums site said he's going to do his best to make a fork. If he can, great, but if he can't, disappointment for me.

When Australis for Firefox makes it's public debut in version 29, in linux I'll just stay with version 28 and ignore the updates for Firefox since in linux, Firefox is my backup browser. I don't like to use lots of add-ons to get back the old classic Firefox look. Some add-ons sometimes conflict with the browser causing problems and some add-on authors just abandon their add-on after awhile for personal reasons leaving the browser user scrambling for a replacement which might not be as good or no replacement is found.

Right now in SolydX 64-bit and also in Mint 16, 64-bit, I'm using as my default browser the newly created linux Pale Moon (24.3.2) 64-bit and Firefox 27.0, 64-bit is my backup browser. Since Firefox in linux is my backup browser (right now), this is why I can stay with Firefox 28 until I see how things hash out with Windows Pale Moon and linux Pale Moon. Pale Moon, in 32-bit and 64-bit, for linux was released to the general public 5 weeks ago. The build and testing for this linux endeavor started last August of 2013.

wyrdoak

Postby wyrdoak » 14 Feb 2014 14:26

I've been using Iceweasel in linux. Firefox just gets harder and harder to run on this netbook, seems like in the to push out the latest and greatest they forget to fix the old bugs before adding new ones. Pretty bad, when I have to boot to Windows, Internet Explorer is faster and more stable than Firefox on this netbook. I switch over to the Atom build of Pale Moon in Windows it makes a big difference. Need to look into see what Linux Pale Moon plans are on the Atom build. If I was trouble shooting I would start looking at the way it hits the GPU. In Windows it's bad, In Linux can't get HD video at all in Firefox.
Edit---BTW
My little cousin's desktop computer[Win7], I realize that it's just a Celeron but with Firefox it almost useless, I put in a nVidia 9500 [1gb video RAM] and turned off the on board video and It works about the same as the Netbook in Windows with Pale Moon.

Didn't mean to flame Firefox. :lol:

Acer Aspire One AO532h; CPU Atom n450 1.66Gh: 2GB RAM, duel boot with Win7: SolydK32

ane champenois

Postby ane champenois » 14 Feb 2014 18:44

Oops...my bad, we're a little off-topic, guys :oops:
wyrdoak wrote:I've been using Iceweasel in linux
It seems to me that it was the same as FF (just a difference in the name), but perhaps I've mistaken.
----
For me, FF is in the big game with IE, Chrome, Safari and Opera. And it has to react. Australis is a reaction that brings changings...ans yes, for some of us, these are bad. :(
@ ZZ (or others) Can we use specific repositories (or methods) for Aurora or Beta versions of Firefox? Perhaps the same method as you ZZ, with this url: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/channel/#aurora?

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 14 Feb 2014 20:27

for FF i don't know but the debian mozilla team has
http://mozilla.debian.net/
you can get iceweasel aurora, beta or release from there (and icedove)
bliss of ignorance

Night Wing

Postby Night Wing » 14 Feb 2014 20:35

ane champenois wrote:For me, FF is in the big game with IE, Chrome, Safari and Opera. And it has to react. Australis is a reaction that brings changings...ans yes, for some of us, these are bad. :(
I don't think Opera is in the big game anymore. When Opera decided to go with the Chrome look, which is what Australis will look like in Firefox 29, the Opera developers decided to make lots of changes which long time users of Opera didn't like. One of the most drastic if not "the" drastic was the removal of the Bookmark/Favorites toolbar. For many long time Opera users, who aren't married to any browser, that was a automatic "deal breaker". Over at the Pale Moon forum site, there are now new Pale Moon users who have switched over from Opera. In my opinion and I'm only speaking for myself, when the Opera developers made this strategic blunder, they did more than shoot themselves in both feet with the Chrome/Australis look, they killed Opera since many Opera users are still using version 12.

As for changes, many browsers now look like Chrome, Chromium. These are Iron, Dragon, Ice Dragon, Cool Novo, Opera, etc and Firefox will soon join them when Australis is released in version 29. These "changes" to me just look like "a herd mentality".

When changes take away customization "within" the browser, these changes aren't good and there is no amount of corporate spin by Mozilla which will convince people like me otherwise. In other words, "saying you've still got customization, doesn't make it so when customization has been lost when looking at Reality". Most of the changes taking place within Firefox, these changes were planned with Australis in mind two or three years ago. Mozilla can't back away from Australis even if it wanted to since higher ups egos are involved.

As an analogy, these same type of egos are the same ones which prevailed at Microsoft when Windows 8 came along with it's new modern UI and was championed by the higher ups at Microsoft. Beta testers said Windows 8 was in big trouble, but the higher ups with their big egos brushed aside those negative comments. Microsoft's Peter Klein, who is no longer with the Microsoft, stated "they (Windows 7, XP users) will get used to it". Klein thought the users of Windows 7 and XP would blindly follow along like a loyal puppy dog and embrace Windows 8. My last comments to Peter Klein in an email was, "how's that Windows 8 change/acceptance coming along for you after 6 months"? Bad change like this is why Windows 9 (Threshold) will be released in April (supposedly) of 2015. Windows 8/8.1 in the market place is the same "albatross around Microsoft's neck" now just like Vista was.

Getting back to Australis in Firefox for a summation, it's probably going to take 9 months or more to see if Australis helps or hurts Firefox market share wise. My guess is, it's going to hurt because Firefox is mostly used by non-technical people like myself and power users. Non-technical types like myself quietly cast our votes by using our fingers to move to a different browser without any fanfare since we aren't married to any browser. We use what we like and when we don't like it anymore because of changes we dislike, we look for something else whether it be in Windows and/or linux.

ane champenois

Postby ane champenois » 15 Feb 2014 07:54

@ Night Wing:ok I clearly understand your point of view. We'll see in the future what will happen.
@ZZ: Sorry for hijacking. :oops: and thanks for the link ;)

greywolf

Postby greywolf » 22 Mar 2014 13:57

I have been checking out a "VSIDO" Sid-based distro the last few days (very nice I must say) and it has the new 29.? coming from the Mozilla repos.

What a nightmare?!!! They have made some seriously silly changes IMHO, particularly on simple stuff like scrolling and tab operation. Having said that, I have been around long enough ( I live in about:config :) ) to change it back to the way I want it to operate. It did take quite a while to look stuff up and hack around to make the changes though - not stuff your average user is going to want to bother with. I cannot see it being very popular, but who knows?

At any rate the pace of development is not slowing - here is the latest state:

Code: Select all

$ acp iceweasel  
iceweasel:
  Installed: 29.0~a2+20140214004003-1
  Candidate: 30.0~a2+20140321004003-1
  Version table:
     30.0~a2+20140321004003-1 0
        500 http://mozilla.debian.net/ experimental/iceweasel-aurora i386 Packages
 *** 29.0~a2+20140214004003-1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     28.0-1 0
          1 http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/debian/ experimental/main i386 Packages
     24.4.0esr-1 0
        500 http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/debian/ sid/main i386 Packages
Hmmm, just noticed I have not done today's apt update!!

cheers,
greywolf.
It was about the dragons. It was always about the dragons!

rokytnji

Postby rokytnji » 22 Mar 2014 14:19

Just a buddies shout out from Romania in chat about
wtf the new iceweasel 29 beta is a piece of crap. the customizing of the new australis is sub par and brakes half of my addons and removes a lot of functionality. they should learn design and GUI implementation.
I can't apeak, as I be a minimalist kinda linux biker. I can be a happy camper surfing in Dillo or Links2.
Use Minitube if I have to.
Dillo.jpg

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 26 Mar 2014 12:25

updated to FF nightly 31 (what will be also the code base of the next ESR) no issues
snapshot215.png
bliss of ignorance

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 26 Mar 2014 12:50

I've found one issue on my laptop that does not present when using FF; typing in the message box on the forum, sometimes the text in the top to middle portion of the box will disappear. Scrolling that area off and them back on-screen brings it back, but it's a bit annoying.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Night Wing

Postby Night Wing » 26 Mar 2014 18:07

@zerozero

In your screenshot of Firefox 31 Nightly, tell me Mozilla hasn't "totally removed the coding" for the Menu Bar or the Bookmarks Toolbar because I don't see them in your screenshot.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 26 Mar 2014 18:27

Night Wing wrote:tell me Mozilla hasn't "totally removed the coding" for the Menu Bar or the Bookmarks Toolbar because I don't see them in your screenshot.
no, they are there ;) i, however, prefer a "cleaner" interface
snapshot216.png
and noSquint 2.1.9 also works (not that i use it but i wanted to test it for you :) )
ScottQuier wrote:I've found one issue on my laptop that does not present when using FF; typing in the message box on the forum, sometimes the text in the top to middle portion of the box will disappear. Scrolling that area off and them back on-screen brings it back, but it's a bit annoying.
it works fine here; it seems like a graphics card incompatibility;
does it get better/worst if you disable hardware acceleration?
bliss of ignorance

Night Wing

Postby Night Wing » 26 Mar 2014 23:44

zerozero wrote:
Night Wing wrote:tell me Mozilla hasn't "totally removed the coding" for the Menu Bar or the Bookmarks Toolbar because I don't see them in your screenshot.
no, they are there ;) i, however, prefer a "cleaner" interface

and noSquint 2.1.9 also works (not that i use it but i wanted to test it for you :)
Thanks for the update on the Menu Bar and Bookmarks Toobar. 8-)

And I REALLY APPRECIATE you taking the time to install and test NoSquint and then telling me it works in Firefox 31 Nightly. :D

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 27 Mar 2014 16:15

@zerozero
I just downloaded the latest nightly (I kind of gave up on it for a while) and it seems that they've ironed out the issue. At least I don't see it happening anymore on the same machine with no configuration changes.
Australis.jpg
I'll give a go again for a while and see how it goes.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Reyfer

Postby Reyfer » 26 Apr 2014 22:26

I have been using the nightly for the last 2 days, and I'm liking it so much that I actually use it instead of the regular one :D

Return to “Tutorials”