Installing on a raid (with mdadm)

Post your tutorials and howtos here.
jackbohlen

Installing on a raid (with mdadm)

Postby jackbohlen » 17 May 2014 12:55

Thanks to this thread: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=748 where jericho pointed me in the right direction I was able to install SolydK on a mdadm created raid0. I've now written a little more in depth guide for it and put together a video.

The guide:
Start gparted and create one ext2 partition with 512Mb for /boot.

Then proceed to create your raid member partitions, but let them have an emtpy filesystem. We will create one later. If you want a swap partition you should create one now.

Fire up a terminal and install mdadm.
apt-get install mdadm
During the install you will be prompted with a window in the terminal “Configuring mdadm”, just press enter here.

Creating the raid.
The command below will create a raid0 (--level=0) at /dev/md0 with two devices (--raid-devices=2). You can change these values to suit your needs. Double check that you are selecting the correct partitions!
mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=0 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdXX /dev/sdXX

Now that the raid is up and running it’s time to create a filesystem for it. The command below will create an ext4 filesystem on /dev/md0. Feel free to use any other filesystem if you prefer something else.
mkfs.ext4 /dev/md0

Creating the target folder, the folder which the installer will install SolydK to.
mkdir /target

Mount the raid at /target
mount /dev/md0 /target

Create another directory called boot inside /target
mkdir /target/boot

Mount the boot partition we created earlier inside /target/boot
mount /dev/sdXX /target/boot

Launching the Installer in advanced mode.
Right click on the Install SolydXK icon on your desktop and select properties.
Click on the "Application" tab.
Change the command to: gksudo "/usr/bin/live-installer --advanced" (don't leave out the quotation marks) and click ok.
Double click on the Install SolydXK icon and proceed with the install.
When the “Hard Drive” part of the installer asks you where to install select “Manually mount partitions (ADVANCED USERS ONLY).”

After the installation process is completed you will get a pop-up telling you that the installation is paused. It’s time to chroot!

Open up the terminal and chroot into /target
chroot /target

You are now running as root inside of your new install.

Install mdadm
apt-get install mdadm

Configure fstab so the system will use the partitions you created in the first step of this guide.
nano /etc/fstab

Start a second terminal and type blkid to get a list of the partitions and their UUID number.
Copy the UUID number and use the same standard as below in fstab
UUID="" /boot ext2 defaults 0 2
UUID="" / ext4 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 1
UUID="" none swap sw 0 0

This is also an excellent opportunity to remove or add additional software that you may or may not want in your SolydK install.

Head back to the installer and continue the installation process with it.

When the installer is done your system is installed, congratulations! Reboot and enjoy your system.
Youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydBQhViaJlo

I have not done this in SolydX so a few steps might be different.

DeMus

Re: Installing on a raid (with mdadm)

Postby DeMus » 08 Jun 2014 18:17

I have seen and read your tutorial about installing Solydxk on RAID0, something I also wish to do.
I have one question about your story: if I want to have a separate /home folder, would I just create an extra RAID0 and mount it in /target/home (for example). During installation I would then choose /target for / and /target/home for /home? Is it that simple?
Came from Windows, used Ubuntu, Kubuntu, LinuxMint and now LinuxMint KDE-64. Love the KDE desktop.

jericho

Postby jericho » 11 Jun 2014 18:45

During installation you won't be asked where you want home to be, it will just assume you already mounted everything where you needed it. So, yes, just create an extra raid device and mount it in /target/home. Just remember that your fstab will ned an extra entry in it for that /home partition.

DeMus

Postby DeMus » 12 Jun 2014 16:23

Thanks Jericho, just as I thought.
As soon as 17 KDE is available AND I have time I will go for it.

Thanks again.
Came from Windows, used Ubuntu, Kubuntu, LinuxMint and now LinuxMint KDE-64. Love the KDE desktop.

Return to “Tutorials”