Brother printer/scanner installation super easy

Post your tutorials and howtos here.
ilu

Brother printer/scanner installation super easy

Postby ilu » 15 Jun 2014 13:03

I was trying to understand CUPS/LPR relationships for a while now and after downloading several files from Brother.com I stopped working on my Linux install for some time. Searching around today I stumpled over this Anleitung (german) instruction (english) and found this script - another download link. It's on Brothers site, but you don't find it if you just look for your printers Linux drivers.

I was impressed. It's a shellscript for Printer/Scanner driver installation - took 2 min, some simple questions (have your printers IP ready) and ... done.

Haven't tested the scanner yet, but the printer is working. Go Brother!

Edit: Scanner works too.

ScottQuier

Re: Brother printer/scanner installation super easy

Postby ScottQuier » 22 Jun 2014 14:17

Thanks for sharing this! I'm sure this will, over time, help out a lot of people. :D
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 23 Jun 2014 15:31

I think I tried that a few months ago but couldn't get it to work. I ended up just installing everything from the .deb files individually. But then again, I don't really know how to run anything other than a .deb file.

I will say though that several months ago Brother seemed to really step up their game with Linux. I did an install a year or so before that and had a terrible time finding Brother drivers. But my last time I found .deb files for my Brother and everything works great. I have since become a fan of Brother and keep them near the top of my list for Linux printers.

ilu

Postby ilu » 09 Sep 2019 16:10

The install script is now linked on every printers download page.

If your Brother printer stopped working after yesterdays Debian point release, re-download the script and re-run it. Reboot. Reboot the printer (off/on). Done.

If you get an error E: about ia32-libs, install lib32z1 lib32ncurses5.

Typhoon_MkII

Postby Typhoon_MkII » 22 Oct 2019 16:29

Great, thanks! I did create an account on this forum to ask about how to work with my Brother HL-1110R, and stumbled upon this, which got the job done.

Return to “Tutorials”