Solyd install on 2 disks (move /home and /var)

Post your tutorials and howtos here.
ilu

Solyd install on 2 disks (move /home and /var)

Postby ilu » 23 Aug 2014 22:16

The installer Solyd uses has one shortcoming: You can install /root and /home on different partitions but not on different media. This is bad especially if you are installing on a SSD - you want only root on the SSD not those parts of the filesystem where a lot of stuff is written all the time. So you might want to put root on the SSD and /home and /var and /swap on a HD.

This gave me headaches but after 4 unsuccessful tries I took a completly different approach and that worked, at least for /home and /var. I skipped /tmp because I think that is just a symlink so nothing to worry. And I still don't know how to treat the swap partition, but I will come back to that at some point.

Since the issue came up again in another thread recently I dare to put my solution into this part of the forum for everybody who has the same problem. That's what I did (as far as I remember, no guaranties):

1. Prepare your SSD with 3 partitions type ext4 and label them as ROOT, TEMPVAR, TEMPHOME and TEMPSWAP.
2. Prepare your HD with 2 partitions type ext4 and 1 partition type swap and label them VAR, HOME and SWAP.
The labels are not important but make things easier later on.
3. Install the system as usual, but select the mount points: ROOT for /, TEMPVAR for /var and TEMPHOME for /home. Now the system will install on these 3 partitions.
4. Reboot, update, whatever.
5. Now boot the live DVD again. (Don't do this while your newly installed system is running!)
6. Mount ROOT, TEMPVAR and VAR, TEMPHOME and HOME.
7. Open the terminal and do (I don't remember the exact pathname, but something like this)
sudo rsync -a /media/tempvar/ /media/var
sudo rsync -a /media/temphome/ /media/home
sudo blkid (this will give you a list of your partitions UUIDs)
8. Edit fstab with
sudo mousepad /media/root/etc/fstab
and replace the UUID of TEMPVAR with the UUID of VAR and the UUID of TEMPHOME with the UUID of HOME. Leave the rest untouched and save.
9. Reboot into your system.
10. Now you can remove TEMPVAR and TEMPHOME and use that space for something else.

Please correct me if I forgot anything, so that future users have an easier time with this than I had.

ScottQuier

Re: Solyd install on 2 disks (work around installer limitati

Postby ScottQuier » 23 Aug 2014 23:20

FWIW - I wrote up a quick tutorial on this very thing that appears, after only a quick read of yours, to be a bit less complicated --> http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1122
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

ilu

Postby ilu » 24 Aug 2014 16:55

When I originally did it I tried to follow your instructions and got confused half of the way - I had to reinstall from scratch because nothing worked anymore. Probably because I was trying to apply everything not only to /home but also to /var and as far as I can understand that wouldn't work with your instructions, right?

So I think we should keep my tutorial. or do you think I should delete it?

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 24 Aug 2014 20:35

ilu wrote: So I think we should keep my tutorial. or do you think I should delete it?
Oh, no question ... KEEP IT. As you've just proven, not one method will work in all cases or for all people.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Return to “Tutorials”