Howto: Launch truecrypt or other programs from FAT32 USB

Post your tutorials and howtos here.
ilu

Howto: Launch truecrypt or other programs from FAT32 USB

Postby ilu » 05 Sep 2014 14:53

As a beginner with Linux I'm running into problems which probably would be no problem at all for anybody else. But I could imagíne that, as the Linux userbase grows, other people might have the same problem, so I thought that, whenever it takes a long non-straight-forward search to find a solution on the internet, I put the result here. I hope that's ok.

I have an USB flash drive with an encrypted container on it. I want to be able to read the contents of the container on any computer regardless of operating system and regardless of whether I own the computer or not.

Windows: Create Truecrypt-Container and put the portable version of Truecrypt (which you hopefully already have because I couldn't find a download anywhere) on the non-encrypted part of the stick. Launch truecrypt.exe on any windows system and mount the container.

Linux: Do the same - oops. There is no obvious portable version for Linux. But if you extract the installation file you get a shell script that you can run. It will give you an option to just extract to /tmp instead of installing. Open the extracted .tar.gz and go to /usr/bin - there is a truecrypt file without extension that will work without installation.
Put it on the stick and double click - oops again. Doesn't work. The truecrypt executable doesn't launch although several sources on the web say it should. I tried to mark the truecrypt file on the stick as "executable" - this doesn't get saved. Apparently you can't launch programs from FAT32 formatted media under Linux, at least not without configuring the system (what I can't because the system might not be mine).
Solution: Rename the trucrypt 32bit executable (which has noch extension) to truecrypt32.com and the 64bit one truecrypt64.com - exe would work too, but the win executable is already named like that. Double click it and tadaa - works. No idea why - Linux is strange.

Source: http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/es-ge ... n-von-usb/

The computer's owner has to enter the root password for mounting though. Which is a problem on public computers (think libraries, internet cafes) but probably can't be avoided with how truecrypt works. I'd love to have a universal encrypt solution without needing admin rights anywhere (and without anonymous developers telling me to use a M$ product instead.).

Orbmiser

Re: Howto: Launch truecrypt or other programs from FAT32 USB

Postby Orbmiser » 05 Sep 2014 16:37

The computer's owner has to enter the root password for mounting though. Which is a problem on public computers (think libraries, internet cafes) but probably can't be avoided with how truecrypt works. I'd love to have a universal encrypt solution without needing admin rights anywhere (and without anonymous developers telling me to use a M$ product instead.).
Only real solution for most of those issues is boot up from usb to a live persistent environment that you have complete control over bypassing admin requirements of host computer installed OS. A linux Live persistent that has truecrypt already configured. In fact would also give you full encrypted environment instead of just container if you wish. And more options then just Truecrypt.

Even some like Tails which was used by Snowden & Greenwald that not only the OS is encrypted but also all communicating through Browser and emails,etc...

But I would be a sorry Admin and not worthy of running a Library or Cafe network. If I didn't protect the system and allowed individuals to boot their own systems for their own nefarious purposes which I could be held accountable for not doing my job. So there is no 100% solution that will fit all scenarios. Except maybe your own Laptop or Tablet that goes everywhere with you.

Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

Return to “Tutorials”