Is there a life without Skype? Yes, read on:
(I don't have any credit on this. Just copied and pasted contributions from various members in the KaOS forum).
I know, I know. Many folks don't want to move from what they know and are used to. I tried to convince friends and relatives to switch to anything else and only one... yes, just one, followed me and tried a different way to chat. Result: I don't chat anymore. But if you still need to use Skype and accept to be tracked, just install it. Or if you already use Chrome (don't know if it works for Chromium, guess not) try this alternative and avoid installing an extra app.Skype alternatives.
A wonderfull, crosrplattform Video Chat Service for Chrome and Firefox, based on open source Tech: palava.tv
Also take a look at: http://www.linphone.org
Jitsi is no longer just a voip app, also great webbased voice/video/conference tool:
https://wiki.tox.im/Main_Page - secure messenger with audio and video chat capabilities.
qTox - Tox client with A/V chat and file transfer.
https://vline.com/ - One more WebRTC based Videochat, work with Chrome, Firefox and the new Opera.
Yet another full webbrowser-based (but needs an account): https://subrosa.io/
WebGl is supposed to be supported by current Firefox and Chrome releases. It works fine here (Firefox), but just in case, If you have errors check if your browser settings allow webGl.I could emulate Skype through the Archon Custom Runtime on Kaos by emulating the app for android. Works great all functions. Below the steps I took to get skype on Kaos:
1. Install Google Chrome
2. Download and unzip the file 64-bit version of Archon Custom Runtime following the instructions on page below.
https://github.com/vladikoff/chromeos-a ... /archon.md
3. In Google Chrome go to "Settings" and "Extensions".
4. Check the "Developer mode" box and "Load expanded extension"
5. Browse to till the unzipped folder Archon Custom Runtime.
6. Search, download and unzip the file skype on the site:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... g&sle=true
7. Install as expanded extension in the same way as it did with Archon Custom Runtime.
8. Restart the browser, Skype will appear on the Google Chrome application tab!
Works well, including the icon in the notification area. In the same table where the skype, are available several android apps you may want to test.
Sorry my English, I'm better speaking Portuguese!
have a fun!!
Hope it helps someone.