Disable systemd binary logs

Post your tutorials and howtos here.
Snap

Disable systemd binary logs

Postby Snap » 24 Aug 2015 07:42

A traditional method of sorting out and tracking problems in a system is/was checking the logs. Tedious, but useful. This is not longer a fully usable option since systemd stores its logs in non-human readable binary formats, with the added drawback that systemd is no longer an init system. Instead, it controls the whole core of the system processes so it deals with the storage of so many things you cannot read anymore. Thanks, Lennart!

Now that the BBQ is open without login, Here's a workaround.

Don't skip this:
PS: systemd updates may re-enable a persistent journal also.
So get ready to re-disable it after upgrading. Dunno if systemd security updates in Debian stable will bork this workaround or if using dpkg-divert for systemd is a good idea.

Sidenote: There are some exceptional folks with a vast knowledge plus the ability of explaining things clearly and concisely to the layman, like me. A couple of them I know about are zerozero (we miss you so much, buddy) and Alad Wenter (AKA: Alad). I'm an avid reader of Alad's posts in that and other forums. I highly recommend his guides and howtos. Well, IgnorantGuru is my hero too. Love and admire his work.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

kurotsugi

Re: Disable systemd binary logs

Postby kurotsugi » 24 Aug 2015 10:41

debian's systemd actually have been tweaked so that it always give a log in text format :3

Snap

Re: Disable systemd binary logs

Postby Snap » 24 Aug 2015 21:08

Really? I didn't even bothered to check the logs due to that "feature". That's great info. Thanks for sharing, kurotsugi.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Return to “Tutorials”