Window animations in XFCE with kde-window-manager

Post your tutorials and howtos here.
The_Fritz

Window animations in XFCE with kde-window-manager

Postby The_Fritz » 15 Jul 2016 21:16

Window animations (like sliding in and out, cube animation when switching work spaces etc.) can be used in XFCE with the kde window manager. Now, my system uses 333 MB instead of 250 MB after startup, but I will keep these pretty effects at least for a while. ;)

The steps are as follows:
1. Install kde-window-manager (I used Synaptic). This will install a lot of kde-packages.

2. Open the following file as root:
sudo nano /etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-session.xml
Search for the following line:
<value type="String" value="Xfwm4"/>
Change it to:
<value type="String" value="Kwin"/>

3. To run kwin each time on startup, add an entry to crontab: crontab -e
Add a line: @reboot kwin --replace

4. Restart the computer. It should run with kde window manager now.

5. Using the kde window manager will disable the workspaces in XFCE. To add workspaces, press CTRL + F8 and click on +.

6. To change the window manager's settings, click on a window's title with the right mouse button. Go to more actions > window manager settings

Fargo

Re: Window animations in XFCE with kde-window-manager

Postby Fargo » 22 Aug 2016 21:36

Personally I like the idea. I think that 80+/-mb is a fair tradeoff for all that kwin gives you. I hope to see Lxqt mature before the next Debian release. I'd love to see an lxqt with kwin distro. Basically I want to see something like KDE light based on lxqt. Although I do like some things about xfce better. Particularily the main menu. The lxqt menu needs help. Anyway, thanks for the tips.

Return to “Tutorials”