Get FireFox to work with Facebook Games

Post your tutorials and howtos here.
WayneB

Get FireFox to work with Facebook Games

Postby WayneB » 19 Mar 2017 03:12

I found this distribution excellent. Yet I found a little problem. Sitting next to me is my wife's computer, running Windows 10, and she loves to play Facebook games. I discovered that some of those games wouldn't work with FireFox in SolydXK.

Here's how I fixed it.

1) Open a terminal and login as root.

Code: Select all

su
Enter your password.

2) Change to /usr/lib

cd /usr/lib
FireFox is looking for a file called "libpepflashplayer.so" - it's in there, just not where Firefox wants to find it. So find it with this command:

find -name libpepflashplayer.so
Once it's found, make sure you keep the terminal open. You're going to need to copy that file location in a minute.

3) Create a new directory.

mkdir ./PepperFlash
4) Copy libpepflashplayer.so into your newly created directory. I can't put this in code for you. You're going to have to look where it is from above. Then in your terminal you're going to do this: cp ./directory-where-you-found-it/libpepflashplayer.so ./PepperFlash

That's it. Worked for me. Now Firefox will work with those useless time wasting Facebook games my wife likes to play! Close your terminal and hopefully it will work for you.

grizzler

Re: Get FireFox to work with Facebook Games

Postby grizzler » 19 Mar 2017 07:40

As I wrote here, Firefox asking for the PPAPI plugin is unusual. I can only imagine this procedure being of any use in case some kind of compatibility layer (like Rinat Ibragimov's freshplayerplugin) is installed.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 19 Mar 2017 09:06

I've built an adapted version of PepperFlash that installs the .so in /usr/lib/PepperFlash.
I've tested it with Chromium and that still works.

I don't know the games that weren't working with the current version. So, can you provide a link?

The new package is in testing: http://repository.solydxk.nl/pool/testi ... ashplugin/

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

WayneB

Postby WayneB » 19 Mar 2017 15:24

grizzler, I saw you reponded. Thank you so much. Yes it looks odd.

Schoelje, thank you for being involved. I know this is basically your ditro, and it's very impressive. So refreshing to be away from both Linux Mint and Ubuntu's grasp, but I know you must tire of the compliments.

I'm sick with the flu. Fever and everything else. I may be lethargic because of that.

Here's the link that shows up when I load the game.

https://www.facebook.com/bingoshowdown/

Click on the blue bar that says Play Game. I don't play games on Facebook. I did it for testing your distro. I hate it when my wife says she can do stuff with her computer that I can't.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 19 Mar 2017 15:30

Game plays well in Firefox with the new pepperflash package.

If nobody objects I'll move the packages to the main repository tomorrow.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Return to “Tutorials”