Remastering SolydXK [adapted: 22 July 2015]

Post your tutorials and howtos here.
Deleted User 2764

Re: Remastering SolydXK

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 28 Nov 2014 13:59

Going to make another attempt at SolydK32 iso but using the 201411 and updating that (there's been updates since the iso came out, I'm sure). I'll go download and use the 2.1.8 version of the constuctor for this.

@grizzler - That is some really odd behavior. I'm glad I been working in a VM all along. I always prefer to work in a VM or test machine just in case something goes wrong. VMs are easier for me because I create a base VM, then clone it (full clone) and work in the full clone. That way if something goes seriously fubar, I just delete the VM and clone another. I been working like this for awhile now and it has become my standard procedure. I'll probably work only in hardware (on my test laptop) if necessary.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 28 Nov 2014 14:58

Woah! That was FAST! Built a 1.5GB SolydX32 ISO in just under 10 (ten) minutes.

Two out of four cores used, temperature no higher than 50C on average, and the RPCemulator didn't lose its network. Nice!

Going to try this one in a VM now.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 28 Nov 2014 15:03

Have you noticed if unpacking an ISO takes a long time? Does in my SolydK64 VM (one CPU, 4GB RAM).

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 28 Nov 2014 15:10

Haven't tried it in a VM yet (still running on my main install - just won't ever do a dist-upgrade again here), but I unpacked 3 of them so far and they all took less than 5 minutes (SolydX64 on a 4 core i5-4430 with 8GB RAM).
Frank

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 28 Nov 2014 15:20

That's about how long it took on mine. I guess I was expecting it to be faster (I have no idea why).

BTW, the probablems you had, I'm wondering if it was chrooted properly? It shouldn't have affected your main system in any way.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 28 Nov 2014 15:47

Could be, although I wonder how a properly chrooted environment would get a better handle on grub wanting to install things in the mbr on /dev/sda. I mean, even in a chrooted environment, /dev/sda is still /dev/sda, right?

Anyway, this ISO's no good. It works fine as a live system, but after installing, the resulting install won't even get to a lightdm screen. Even the single user boot halts somewhere halfway. It's complaining about vbox's x11 guest addition, but I don't think that's the only problem as the grub menu shows a 64 bit system as wel as a 32 bit one (no idea how that happened). Borked squared, me thinks.

I really need to be able to read back in a log of some kind to figure out what went wrong where. The constructor's main terminal window doesn't provide anything like that.
Frank

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 28 Nov 2014 16:33

For me, half an hour later and I am still stuck here:

Code: Select all

======================================================
INFO: Start building ISO...
======================================================
Creating SquashFS root...
Updating File lists...
Command to execute: chroot "/home/ravenlx/Temp/solydk32_20141128/root" dpkg -l | awk '/^ii/ {print $2, $3}' | sed -e 's/ /   /g'  > "/home/ravenlx/Temp/solydk32_20141128/boot/live/filesystem.packages"
Removing existing SquashFS root...
Building SquashFS root...
Command to execute: echo $MKSQUASHFS

Command to execute: nproc
Command to execute: mksquashfs "/home/ravenlx/Temp/solydk32_20141128/root/" "/home/ravenlx/Temp/solydk32_20141128/boot/live/filesystem.squashfs" -comp xz -processors 1
Parallel mksquashfs: Using 1 processor
Creating 4.0 filesystem on /home/ravenlx/Temp/solydk32_20141128/boot/live/filesystem.squashfs, block size 131072.
So I issued a sudo killall mksquashfs and it finishes. The resulting ISO can't be any good as it's only 32MB. Same problem as before. Can't seem to create an ISO. Earlier in the process I got this:
Constructor-Errors-01_ravenlx.jpg
Not sure at this point how I'll proceed.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 28 Nov 2014 17:51

Odd. I wonder if it's because you're building it inside a VM.

In the meantime, turns out I was wrong about the ISO I built being no good. When I installed it the first time, I used an old VM which I no longer needed, with an existing drive/vdi. The installer was set to format everything, but apparently it didn't. I've seen that happen before, when I installed a 32 bit ISO on my old laptop.

Installed it in a newly created VM and it's working. Sort of. It doesn't see the guest additions, which are installed according to synaptic. Wonder what happens if I reinstall them...

Yup, that did it. Weird.

So now I have a VM with an install from a 32 bit SolydX ISO which was based on a fully updated (as of this morning - there are new updates again now) Debian Testing.

Yay! :geek:
Frank

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 28 Nov 2014 17:59

Congrats! :)

Can you try to create an ISO inside a VM if you have time? I am curious to see if it really is because I was working from within a VM. Meanwhile, I'll go grab those files (the new constructor and lastest ISO) on a USB stick, and transfer them over to the laptop (which has SolydK 64 installed) and try from there without using a VM.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 28 Nov 2014 19:18

RavenLX wrote:Congrats! :)
Thanks. ;)
Can you try to create an ISO inside a VM if you have time?
Can't even get building to start up. Exits with something called a 'protocol error' (no further details, really useful). Must be because I've linked the directory with the ISOs to the VM as a shared item. I'll have to unpack the ISO again to a directory on the VM's vdi. But that will have to wait until tomorrow.
Frank

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 28 Nov 2014 19:24

Yeah, it's best not to unpack in the shared directory. I always use the shared directory only for transfering files to/from the VM and nothing more.

The process is in mksquashfs right now and 2 of the laptop's CPUs are maxed and the fan pretty loud. Will see how it turns out. Also found I must have unseated a 2GB Memory module because it's running on only 4GB at the moment. :roll: I'll fix that another time. For now the computer works and hopefully the process will complete ok. Still getting the same errors and stuff as when I was in the VM. We'll see if it will make a decent ISO or if I have to stop the process. It's already been 10 minutes and it's still working on it.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 28 Nov 2014 20:32

That didn't work. :( Still. I guess I shouldn't have done it with "Build UEFI". I'll try one more time without that (fresh) and see what happens. I got as far as installing it into the VM but the installer wouldn't finish. I got this:

Code: Select all

Command 'blkid -s UUID -o value /dev/sda1' returned non-zero exit status 2
And that was when it was writing the /etc/fstab during installation (after cleaning up the live configuration files).

Back to the drawing board. I hope the next time will work. But first I'm going to power down the laptop and see what I can do to reseat that memory...

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 28 Nov 2014 22:34

Success!!! :D

I created a working ISO for SolydK32 on my HP Laptop. I just had to be sure not to build the UEFI files (I should have remembered what I read earlier in this thread). I was able to install the ISO on a virtual machine and boot into the installation (not the live CD) after installing. All worked out great! Just to test, I did the sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and it was indeed upgraded to the latest as of today.

So now I know how to make SolydK32 ISOs! :)

Now to coordinate as to when I should make an ISO. I assume it's after the UP test is done? And what about after Debian Jessie becomes stable and there's no more UPs? Should a new ISO be made periodically (what time frame?) to be sure things are still "fresh"? Many questions on this but for now, I'm just glad that everything worked.

Two CPUs were used in mksquashfs procedure. Both maxed at 100% and the laptop fan was on high. But it all worked out great. Oh yeah, and I reseated the memory so I had the full 6GB this time.

I think the problem with the VMs is that they are just too slow and take too long (especially on 1 CPU and 4 GB RAM) and I probably thought it hung when it was still working. It might take hours that way. Doing it straight without a VM is far faster. The updated constructor with the CPU limits works good. Thanks, Schoelje, for taking the time to make that change for us. I think it helped quite a bit!

patzy

Postby patzy » 28 Nov 2014 23:41

Now here am I finding that neither SolydX nor SolydK will boot live for me using the latest ISOs from Schoelje.
So I wonder if Raven's 32 bit one would work for me.
Which brings up the question - How can I get a copy to test?

(This is me being hopeful....)

Testing using 32bit SolydK
Pentium Dual CPU E2220 2Gb memory
Geoforce 8400 using Nouveau driver

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 28 Nov 2014 23:53

It's a 1.7GB ISO so I don't know where I could upload it. However, you could try rolling your own using the latest 32-Bit iso and the constructor (see previous recent post by Schoelje on the link to the constructor and the OP (Original post) for link to the directories for the ISOs (of many different versions/dates).

It's not too hard to do but you might not want to do it in a Virtual Machine as it's too slow. Also do NOT opt to build UEFI as 32-bit systems don't support it (that I know of).

patzy

Postby patzy » 29 Nov 2014 03:59

RavenLX wrote:It's a 1.7GB ISO so I don't know where I could upload it. However, you could try rolling your own using the latest 32-Bit iso and the constructor (see previous recent post by Schoelje on the link to the constructor and the OP (Original post) for link to the directories for the ISOs (of many different versions/dates).
I tend to forget that large up and downloads can be a problem for a lot of people. My ISP doubled the download to 100GB a few years ago (no extra charge) and when I changed my phone over to them, I had the price halved as well! The only thing is that I have SDSL2 on a not very good line, so things are cheap but can take a lot of time. :roll:

I've had a quick look at Schoelje's posts about the Constructor. Maybe over the holiday period I shall give it a try. The whole operation looks a bit involved, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. :)

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 29 Nov 2014 04:19

I have unlimited service (at least that's what my new ISP says - I signed up this past October). But where to upload the file TO is the problem. Even though I'm on unlimited, I still avoid torrenting files due to not wanting to push my luck on the bandwidth. LOL!

Just so you don't need to go through all those messages: Quick Tutorial

Be sure to download and install the constructor program (you'll need gdebi installed, and then double-click on the constructor .deb file). Also be sure you downloaded the iso you want to work from.

1. Put the ISO into a directory and create a new directory with the ISO name so that you have someplace to unpack the ISO (should NOT be the same as the ISO directory). Here's what I used:

/home/ravenlx/Temp/solydk32_201411.iso
/home/ravenlx/Temp/solydk32_201411
The second line is the directory I created. So you would have an iso and a directory in your chosen directory. Note I did NOT put the iso in /home/ravenlx/Temp/solydk32_201411 directory.

2. Open a terminal and type 'constructor' at the prompt (without quotes). The constructor program MUST be run from the command prompt.

3. Add ISO. Check in the box next to creating from an ISO. Then for the top box, navigate to the ISO. The bottom box, navigate to your directory to unpack it in (ie. /home/ravenlx/Temp/solydk32_201411 is what I used). It will take awhiel to unpack, probably 5 minutes or more.

4. Click the button to upgrade the distribution. If asked any questions, just accept defaults.

5. DO NOT click to create UEFI files! This won't work!

6. Click to download the extra offline packages button (under the UEFI button).

7. Now finally click to build the ISO. This takes a VERY long time! grizzler said it took him about 10 minutes. I think it took about 15 - 20 on my end, maybe. But it does take a very long time so be patient. This is the #1 reason it's probably best not to do this in a virtual machine because a virtual machine can run much slower and take too long, making it seem like the program hung. Also, your system may run a bit hot and take up at least 2 CPUs at 100%. This is normal and should be ok.

Once done, the new iso is located in the directory that you specified to unpack the old ISO into. This is what you use to create a new virtual machine or burn to DVD.

patzy

Postby patzy » 29 Nov 2014 10:22

RavenLX wrote: Just so you don't need to go through all those messages: Quick Tutorial
Grateful thanks for this, Raven. :)
A really easy to follow tutorial.
I think I'll have a go sooner than I thought.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 29 Nov 2014 14:01

grizzler wrote:...that will have to wait until tomorrow.
Did a SolydK32 build in a SolydK64 VM (1 core, 1024MB RAM). The actual build took just under half an hour. Running a dist-upgrade to get things in sync with Debian Testing again caused the machine (i.e. the VM) to lose its original hostname (which made the chrooted terminal disappear and forced me to reset the VM before the constructor would do anything anymore). So this is not a SolydX quirk. No idea what caused it.
Oddly enough the grub update was completely ignored this time, i.e. no question about putting something 'grubby' in the mbr.

Also, no progress report visible in the contructor's main terminal window. That whole lot showed up when the build process had finished. So this too is not a SolydX peculiarity.

Will try the ISO later.
Frank

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 29 Nov 2014 17:16

Thanks for the update. I haven't really thought to check the host name. I just assumed it would be ok. Especially since I was working in a VM or even my test laptop so I wasn't worried if something changed. On my system, I had 1 cpu, 4 GB RAM and it was still going an hour later. I think some of it may be that I keep my virtual machines, isos, and shared directory on a special dedicated ntfs partition. I don't know if it being ntfs makes much difference since VirtualBox also has a Windows version. But maybe under linux ntfs writes are slower?

Maybe I should re-think some of my partitioning. All my data partitions are ntfs so to share between Windows and Linux and maybe even Android (as soon as I can get some kind of VPN or something going). The /home is on an 8GB partition and just for some configs.

But I initially didn't see that data partitions being ntfs would be too much of a problem. Might be why my VM is so slow, I don't know. I'll have to try it again sometime this weekend hopefully when I have more time.

Return to “Tutorials”