Remastering SolydXK [adapted: 22 July 2015]

Post your tutorials and howtos here.
timber

Re: Remastering SolydXK

Postby timber » 29 Nov 2014 19:57

Glad to hear of your successes!
I downloaded the (new) constructor to familiarize myself with it but got totally distracted when Unetbootin started giving me grief. I wanted to use it to test iso's.
I'd like to at least learn the process (Schoelje's and RavenLX's tutorials will help greatly ... thanks).
Just wanted to say Thanks for working on this ... it's an important step and greatly appreciated.

Dave
(aka timber)
timber

Samsung R580-M430 @ 2.27GHz - 8 GB RAM
Geforce 310M w/ nvidia-driver
SolydX/SolydM - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydK - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydKBE - Kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 - LTS Update Pack: 2014.07.15

patzy

Postby patzy » 29 Nov 2014 22:34

Well, I couldn't wait.
I followed Raven's instructions and made myself an upgraded ISO. :geek: (The build took 50mins on my old machine). I had no problems at all. :lol:

Full of anticipation I burned a DVD and rebooted. It did not run live. :cry:
It appears that whatever stops the DVD going live is built into the Constructor.
I enjoyed the experience, but I would like to know how I can get round this not going live thing.

Testing using 32bit SolydK
Pentium Dual CPU E2220 2Gb memory
Geoforce 8400 using Nouveau driver

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 29 Nov 2014 23:46

When you said it wouldn't run live, what errors are you getting? You may need to go into your computer's BIOS and ensure that you can boot from DVD. If that is all good, then you may want to redo the ISO (be sure the final ISO is 1.7GB and that it's the one inside the directory along with an md5sum and torrent file). Be sure NOT to opt to make a UEFI. Don't click that button or it might not boot on your system.

[Edited: Removed Torrent as it didn't work]

patzy

Postby patzy » 30 Nov 2014 00:30

RavenLX wrote:When you said it wouldn't run live, what errors are you getting?
I get no errors. It just ignores the DVD and goes straight to the HD boot. (See this thread - http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5072 - if you look at my posts (ignore the OT stuff :) ) you will see that I've done everything I can think of to solve this.
RavenLX wrote:You can try a torrent. I created one (hope I did it right). Since my PC is on 24/7 you can try and download it. Attached is the Torrent file. Let me know if you get it ok. You'll want to pick up the md5sum as well (attached). For that you want to rename it so there's no .txt extension (it's the only way I can upload it).
These files and the ISO may become invalid at any time as I eventually will take down the torrent/ISO when it's not needed anymore.
Do let me know if you tried to download it and if it worked for you or not.
I've tried with KTorrent but it has just said it is stalled, and I can't seem to start it. I'll download a different torrent handler and see if it works. - I've had trouble with KTorrent before.

BTW my 'home made' ISO DVD boots and works on my daughter's Mint 15 machine. - So your step by step guide works perfectly. (We need a hand clap emoticon).

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions.

Edit: I just tried your torrent with deluge but it still stays stalled and I can't seem to get it started. :cry:

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 30 Nov 2014 00:45

If your DVD works on someone else's machine but not yours, it might be that your computer is not designed to boot from DVD. Depends on the age of the computer but I thought it should, at least. Still think it might be a BIOS thing since it's not even detecting the DVD. Can you try another bootable DVD of some kind and see if it boots in your machine?

As for the torrent, mine is stuck on "announcing" on my end (running KTorrent since I don't know of anything else to use). Let me know the results of your second attempt. If that don't work, I'll take down the torrent. Seems like you did make a bootable DVD, though. It's just that your system isn't using it.

Another odd thing to try is to put the DVD into the DVD tray, then shut the computer completely off (shutdown via the OS). Wait a few moments and turn the computer back on and see if it'll detect it then. Weird I know but at this point it's worth a try?

Another idea is to instead see if you can boot from a USB stick? Create a bootable USB? If you need a setup for that, let me know. I have Schoelje's script which I had redone to do this but you'd probably find Scott Quier's SolydXK Multi-Boot program easier to use (it's in the forums somewhere - just search for Multi-Boot).

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 30 Nov 2014 01:05

I've removed the torrent. The tracker (tracker.openbittorent.com) timed out on announcing so I couldn't get it done. Sorry about that. I tried. I normally don't use bittorrent as I never have any luck with it downloading stuff and this was the first time I ever did anything to upload something. Even that doesn't work.

patzy

Postby patzy » 30 Nov 2014 01:33

RavenLX wrote:If your DVD works on someone else's machine but not yours, it might be that your computer is not designed to boot from DVD.
It has always worked before. And I checked and redid the boot order, and saved it with CDROM (old machine) at the top (where it already was).
RavenLX wrote:Still think it might be a BIOS thing since it's not even detecting the DVD. Can you try another bootable DVD of some kind and see if it boots in your machine?
These 32bit 201411 (both X and K) are the only ones that don't boot. 64bit does, other OSs do. I've tried shutting down completely as well as rebooting, still no go.
RavenLX wrote:Another idea is to instead see if you can boot from a USB stick? Create a bootable USB? If you need a setup for that, let me know. I have Schoelje's script which I had redone to do this but you'd probably find Scott Quier's SolydXK Multi-Boot program easier to use (it's in the forums somewhere - just search for Multi-Boot).
Tried this too. (See that long set of messages in the Installation posts). I also tried the solyd USB boot offering from the repos, which installed and refused to run. - I'll have a look for Scott's version and see if that makes a bootable USB.
Personally, I'm sure it is something that is built into the ISO made by Schoelje's Constructor that sees that I already have a Solyd 32bit running (remember 64bit works) and then ignores the DVD. This happens on both my SolydK 32bit machines.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 30 Nov 2014 02:26

It shouldn't matter if you have installed a version of Solyd 32-bit. It should still boot up and run the live installer. I think this discussion is probably left back in your other thread though. I don't know what could cause it to not boot.

One last thought... have you tried the iso in a Virtual Machine?

patzy

Postby patzy » 30 Nov 2014 05:43

RavenLX wrote:One last thought... have you tried the iso in a Virtual Machine?
With only 2GB memory, I've never bothered with setting up a VM. I use my test machine for trying things out. If I mess up, I reinstall. Though I can't do that any more, I suppose I shall have to run 64bit.
:idea: I wonder if I install 64bit SolydK and then try running 32bit live using one of these pesky DVDs.

Snap

Postby Snap » 30 Nov 2014 11:32

How you guys monitor CPU cores temperature into a VM guest? I'm not having success with that in conky or anything else I've tried. Do you monitor them in the host instead?

BTW, if anyone interested this is the conky I use for my developing VM to monitor the system. Not nice and cool looking. Just plain and functional. You'll need to adapt it for the assigned CPU cores. I just removed the temperature lines because they don't work for now.

Code: Select all

alignment top_right
background yes
override_utf8_locale yes
use_xft yes
xftfont Open Sans:size=9
xftalpha 1
update_interval 1
total_run_times 0

#Permanent on top: override -- Disappears when clicking: desktop
## For OpenBox
#own_window yes
##own_window_type desktop
#own_window_type normal
#own_window_transparent yes
#own_window_hints undecorate,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager,below

## For KDE
own_window yes
own_window_title conky
own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
own_window_argb_visual yes
own_window_argb_value 0
own_window_type normal

double_buffer yes
minimum_size 250 10
maximum_width 350
draw_shades yes
draw_outline no
draw_borders no
border_width 2
border_margin 6
draw_graph_borders no
default_color gray90
no_buffers yes
uppercase no
cpu_avg_samples 2
net_avg_samples 2
short_units yes
gap_x 25
gap_y 40

TEXT
${font Clear Sans:bold:size=9}${color}${alignc}${time %A %d %B %Y}${color}${font}

${font Clear Sans:bold:size=24}${color}${alignc}${time %H:%M}${color}${font}

Kernel: $sysname $kernel
Uptime: $uptime

#${execi 1000 cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 'model name' | sed -e 's/model name.*: //'}
CPU Freq:   ${freq}MHz
${voffset 8}Core 1 $alignr ${cpu cpu1}%
${cpubar cpu1}
#${cpugraph 20,200 eae8e3 ffffff}
${voffset 8}Core 2 $alignr ${cpu cpu2}%
${cpubar cpu2}
${voffset 8}Core 3 $alignr ${cpu cpu3}%
${cpubar cpu2}
${voffset 8}Core 4 $alignr ${cpu cpu4}%
${cpubar cpu2}
${voffset 8}CPU Load$alignr ${cpu cpu0}%
${cpubar cpu0}
CPU avg load: ${loadavg}%

RAM $alignc $mem / $memmax $alignr $memperc%
$membar
#Swap:  $alignc $swap / $swapmax $alignr $swapperc%
#${swapbar}${color}
#/ $alignc ${fs_used /} / ${fs_size /} $alignr ${fs_used_perc /}% --swap
#${fs_bar /}

Hard Drive I/O : $alignc$diskio
Root Partition:$alignc${fs_used /} / ${fs_size /}
Home Partition:$alignc${fs_used /home} / ${fs_size /home}
#${color}${diskiograph 20,200}
#HDD Temp: $alignc${hddtemp /dev/sda}
#NVidia GPU: $alignc${nvidia gpufreq} Mhz
#NVidia Mem Freq: $alignc${nvidia memfreq} Mhz
#NVidia Temp: $alignc${nvidia temp}${offset -2} °C

$processes processes ($running_processes running)
${font verdana:bold:size=10.5}${color}Name $alignr     PID   CPU    Mem${color}${font}
${voffset -8} ${hr}
${top name 1} $alignr ${top pid 1}  ${top cpu 1}  ${top mem 1}
${top name 2} $alignr ${top pid 2}  ${top cpu 2}  ${top mem 2}
${top name 3} $alignr ${top pid 3}  ${top cpu 3}  ${top mem 3}
${top name 4} $alignr ${top pid 4}  ${top cpu 4}  ${top mem 4}
${top name 5} $alignr ${top pid 5}  ${top cpu 5}  ${top mem 5}

${font verdana:bold:size=10.5}${color}Name  ${alignr}PID     Mem %${color}${font}
${voffset -8} ${hr}
${top_mem name 1}  ${alignr}${top_mem pid 1}        ${top_mem mem 1}
${top_mem name 2}  ${alignr}${top_mem pid 2}        ${top_mem mem 2}
${top_mem name 3}  ${alignr}${top_mem pid 3}        ${top_mem mem 3}
${top_mem name 4}  ${alignr}${top_mem pid 4}        ${top_mem mem 4}
${top_mem name 5}  ${alignr}${top_mem pid 5}        ${top_mem mem 5}
${top_mem name 6}  ${alignr}${top_mem pid 6}        ${top_mem mem 6}
${top_mem name 7}  ${alignr}${top_mem pid 7}        ${top_mem mem 7}
${top_mem name 8}  ${alignr}${top_mem pid 8}        ${top_mem mem 8}
${top_mem name 9}  ${alignr}${top_mem pid 9}        ${top_mem mem 9}
${top_mem name 10}  ${alignr}${top_mem pid 10}        ${top_mem mem 10}

#hostname:$alignr$nodename
#IP:$alignr${addr eth0}
#wifi:$alignr${addr wlan0}
#${color}Download $alignr ${totaldown wlan0}  (${downspeed wlan0} kb/s)
#${downspeedgraph wlan0}
#Upload $alignr ${totalup wlan0}  (${upspeed wlan0} kb/s)
#${upspeedgraph wlan0}${color}
EDIT: edited the .conkyrc code a bit.

PS, the code is not very clean, but it was never intended to look nice, only a collection of monitoring tools dropped together. 8-)

PS2, For different backgrounds play with the default_color grayXX values. 90 is almost white and 10 almost black. Or simply change the color. Using shadows or not and own_window_argb may help clarity depending on the backgrounds.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 30 Nov 2014 18:59

patzy wrote:With only 2GB memory, I've never bothered with setting up a VM. I use my test machine for trying things out. If I mess up, I reinstall. Though I can't do that any more, I suppose I shall have to run 64bit.
:idea: I wonder if I install 64bit SolydK and then try running 32bit live using one of these pesky DVDs.
I was wondering why you're running a 32-bit OS in a 64-bit machine but then I remembered when I didn't even know one of my laptops was a 64-bit machine until someone told me how to check (sorry I forgot what they said, but I think zerozero gave me a command line thing that tells you if your machine is 32-bit or 64-bit).

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 30 Nov 2014 19:01

Snap wrote:How you guys monitor CPU cores temperature into a VM guest? I'm not having success with that in conky or anything else I've tried. Do you monitor them in the host instead?
In KDE there's a bubble monitor widget which is what I use. I monitor it in the host, not the guest though. It's a rainbow colored bubble that sits on the desktop and you just hover the mouse over it and it tells you system and CPU temperatures. But doesn't label which is which so I just make sure both are not too high.

Snap

Postby Snap » 30 Nov 2014 19:16

Thanks. that would be a provisional workaround. I want to make temp monitoring to work on conky. Keep on trying.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

patzy

Postby patzy » 01 Dec 2014 09:17

RavenLX wrote:I was wondering why you're running a 32-bit OS in a 64-bit machine but then I remembered when I didn't even know one of my laptops was a 64-bit machine until someone told me how to check (sorry I forgot what they said, but I think zerozero gave me a command line thing that tells you if your machine is 32-bit or 64-bit).
Most of the programmes I use are 32bit. These, rather ancient, computers seems even slower running 64bit. Plus I see on the forums that the 64bit users get strange errors at times.
So sticking with 32bit is the best for me. (Pause to stop the cat eating one of my pendrives...)
I'll probably go to 64 if/when I upgrade one of the systems. Hopefully after the holiday season.
OT again. :roll: Appologies.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Remastering SolydXK [rewritten: 01 Dec 2014]

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Dec 2014 13:10

I have re-written the OP: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=774
and replaced the solydxk-constructor help (which can be read from the solydxk-constructor window) with a build example of SolydK32.

This ISO was created with the last constructor (>=2.1.9): http://repository.solydxk.nl/pool/main/ ... nstructor/
I tested booting the ISO with EFI enabled. I didn't try to install it (if anyone can explain how to do that in VB, that would help a lot).

I've uploaded the resulting ISO here: http://downloads.solydxk.nl/dev

Who can make the SolydX32 ISO? ;)

[Edit]
Updated Github: https://github.com/SolydXK/solydxk-constructor

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Dec 2014 13:52

ISO uploaded and md5sum checked.

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 01 Dec 2014 13:53

Schoelje wrote:Who can make the SolydX32 ISO? ;)
Working on it. I notice several discrepancies between the OP and what I have here:
7. Check /boot/grub directory:
efi.img
font.pf2
grub.cfg
[i386-efi]
Nope:
[i386-efi]
[locale]
efi.img
grub.cfg
grubbg.png

No font.pf2.
8. Edit /boot/grub/splash.jpg: resize to 640x480 and save as /boot/isolinux/splash.png
No /boot/grub/splash.jpg here. I take it you mean /boot/isolinux/splash.jpg?
12. Check /boot/offline directory:
efibootmgr_0.7.0-2_i386.deb
grub-efi_2.00-22_i386.deb
grub-efi-ia32_2.00-22_i386.deb
grub-efi-ia32-bin_2.00-22_i386.deb
libefivar0_0.10-5_i386.deb
Same set here, just newer versions.
I have attached the boot files for SolydK32 and SolydX32.
Thanks. Saves me some time.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 01 Dec 2014 14:13

Done.

Now to get it on the server...
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Dec 2014 14:24

splash.jpg should have been grubbg.png
Updated the OP.

The rest is in the OP and the attachment :)

SolydXK needs you!

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 01 Dec 2014 14:40

Awesome! I'll give it a go with SolydK later today and will report back my results. Thanks, Schoelje! :)

Return to “Tutorials”