Hopity Hop

New to SolydXK? This is the place to say "Hello"
not found

Hopity Hop

Postby not found » 15 Oct 2013 00:45

So... my condition to never be happy with what ever operating system I use has brought me to SolydK currently, and I have to say I am finding it very good (I had a look at SolydX but something about the Oxygen theme and XFCE put me off :P ).

There are a lot of little touches that I really appreciate thus far and I have had very little issues if any (one pending "annoyance" which is the subject of my first post on the forum).

Thanks to the devs and users of SolydXK for a solyd >.< distro and as long as I am using it I will try and add value either by promoting the distro, helping on the forum and/or submitting bugs as is needed :)

realityDroid

Re: Hopity Hop

Postby realityDroid » 15 Oct 2013 03:23

Welcome to the forums and the SolydXK family! I too am not a great fan of the default SolydX theme. However, it is still a great experience to behold on my older laptop. My main machine though runs SolydK.

Glad that you could join us. Hope you finally have found an OS that makes you a little happier. :)
Read my full signature, it's too long for this forum:

http://realitydroid.net/Signature.txt

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 15 Oct 2013 12:28

Hi 404, and welcome to our forum!

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

realityDroid

Postby realityDroid » 15 Oct 2013 20:24

Schoelje wrote:Hi 404, and welcome to our forum!
Lol

not found

Postby not found » 15 Oct 2013 21:30

The name and signature comes from another Linux forum I frequent :)

I was just about to make a jump to LMDE as it seemed to me to be the same as SolydXK but with Cinnamon... so glad I saw it doesn't update monthly like Solyd does, a definite deal breaker for me so I will go home later today and hug my desktop and tell it how sorry I was to have almost made this fatale error :P

I will soldier forth with KDE then and see what November brings :) (and hopefully not get distracted by the imminent release of Ubuntu)

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 15 Oct 2013 22:52

hello 404 8-) welcome to the SolydXK forums.
in my humble opinion ;) it's worthy to stick around with Solyd
bliss of ignorance

realityDroid

Postby realityDroid » 16 Oct 2013 02:26

not found wrote:The name and signature comes from another Linux forum I frequent :)

I was just about to make a jump to LMDE as it seemed to me to be the same as SolydXK but with Cinnamon... so glad I saw it doesn't update monthly like Solyd does, a definite deal breaker for me so I will go home later today and hug my desktop and tell it how sorry I was to have almost made this fatale error :P

I will soldier forth with KDE then and see what November brings :) (and hopefully not get distracted by the imminent release of Ubuntu)

I would love to see a Cinnamon version of this. However, it's a real pain to install Cinnamon as there are, in my one attempt to do so today, a bunch of dependency issues.

ane champenois

Postby ane champenois » 16 Oct 2013 10:21

Hi 404,
Welcome to Solyd XK forum 8-)
Hope you find your way here helps you to stop a while and give a chance to Solyd ;)
They did not know it was impossible so they did it.

helmsdeeper

Postby helmsdeeper » 17 Oct 2013 09:47

Welcome 404! No apologies needed, distro-hopping is fun and a good way to learn in the process.

timber

Postby timber » 20 Oct 2013 04:51

Hi 404,

Welcome, great to have you aboard!
I think there's a great chance you may really like it here.
I previously didn't see eye to eye with Xfce DE but after landing here and making a few tweaks to SolydX, I rather enjoy it now.
SolydK has become my true home and SolydKBE is steadily becoming "Old Faithful" ...
... ah heck, I like 'em all, need I say more?
(I guess you could say that I just "Hop" locally now) :D
timber

Samsung R580-M430 @ 2.27GHz - 8 GB RAM
Geforce 310M w/ nvidia-driver
SolydX/SolydM - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydK - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydKBE - Kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 - LTS Update Pack: 2014.07.15

not found

Postby not found » 21 Oct 2013 06:48

:cry: What a fool I am... gave into the temptation that is the latest Ubuntu release and gave up a fully functional and super stable SolydK install... shouldn't have :?

Other ISO at my disposal at that time was LMDE so gave that a whirl... not bad except that I couldn't get Hearthstone via Crossover to work on it (didn't want to work on Ubuntu either) but it worked flawlessly first time in SolydK.

Well, SolydK installed on desktop again, update was under way when I left for work this morning so when I get home I can install the nVidia drivers and then re-test Hearthstone (would be ironic if it doesn't want to work under SolydK now also :P )

Anyhow if I get the system back to the same state as before I think I should really NOT hop again... this is getting to painful.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 21 Oct 2013 11:31

@404 - If you only have one disk and you want to play with other distros, consider creating 2 or three partitions of about 15 - 20G each and install your plays in these. You end up with a dual/multi-boot machine, you don't disturb your daily driver, and you don't consume much disk.

If you run into a partition count limitation (MBR will only allow 4 primary partitions) consider either creating and extended partition with a number of small logicals or re-writing your partition table to create a GPT. GPT will allow, for all practical purposes, a nearly unlimited number of partitions and most Linux distros will install on GPT.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

not found

Postby not found » 21 Oct 2013 11:46

ScottQuier wrote:@404 - If you only have one disk and you want to play with other distros, consider creating 2 or three partitions of about 15 - 20G each and install your plays in these. You end up with a dual/multi-boot machine, you don't disturb your daily driver, and you don't consume much disk.

If you run into a partition count limitation (MBR will only allow 4 primary partitions) consider either creating and extended partition with a number of small logicals or re-writing your partition table to create a GPT. GPT will allow, for all practical purposes, a nearly unlimited number of partitions and most Linux distros will install on GPT.
Sound advice and yes I have been there done that, even had more virtualbox installs than you can shake a stick at... then one day I thought to myself; "Myself, having more than one OS on a machine when you only use one at a time is a waste..." and from that day I only run one OS... sometimes for very short periods :P

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 21 Oct 2013 11:56

not found wrote: Sound advice and yes I have been there done that, even had more virtualbox installs than you can shake a stick at... then one day I thought to myself; "Myself, having more than one OS on a machine when you only use one at a time is a waste..." and from that day I only run one OS... sometimes for very short periods :P

I've found too many instances where an O/S installed in VirtualBox did not perform in manner similar to that of installing on bare metal. In some instances, installing a driver completely destroyed the install - at least to an extent beyond my ability to recover. So partitions and additional drives is the way I roll .... errrr .... hop :)
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

not found

Postby not found » 22 Oct 2013 20:16

It is just shocking (in a good way) to me how stable Solydk is... I have not encountered one thing that didn't install and just work (was shocked when Windows shares on the network was just there and working and I was copying files around like a mad man)... about to do some scanning via a networked scanner/printer, hope this post hasn't jinxed it :P

not found

Postby not found » 10 Dec 2013 17:36

And after several round trips all over operating system land I find myself yet again with SolydK... and just like previously it feels good : :D

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 10 Dec 2013 18:10

Ehm...welcome back? :D

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Return to “Introduce yourself”