Hello from Anaheim, California USA

New to SolydXK? This is the place to say "Hello"
flyinraptr

Hello from Anaheim, California USA

Postby flyinraptr » 11 Dec 2013 01:04

Hello,

My name is Greg - from Anaheim, California USA. I am a long time IT professional (Windows/Intel based systems) by trade but have always had a soft spot for community driven operating systems (something about the small underdog going up against the evil empire that tends to get the blood flowing but that's another story). I've dabbled from time to time over the years as time allowed but still very much a Linux newbie. Last night I installed Solydk on both my personal desktop pc and laptop - and was thoroughly impressed - (i won't be going back to Windows ... i mean it this time ... LOL). Congratulations - to everyone involved on a job well done - by the looks of it a lot of hard work and amazing results! I am looking forward to exploring and playing with Solydk further as well as watching this exciting new distro and community grow.

Cheers -
I gotta keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring? ~ Chuck Nolan

fleabus

Re: Hello from Anaheim, California USA

Postby fleabus » 11 Dec 2013 02:10

flyinraptr wrote:...long time IT professional (Windows/Intel based systems) by trade ... soft spot for community driven operating systems (... small underdog against the evil empire tends to get the blood flowing ...). I've dabbled from time to time ... but still very much a Linux newbie.
And a great big "Me Too" on all of the above. Welcome Greg. I just started with Linux in July after a long career in an all-ms shop. Didn't take me long to land here, and make it my home base. Hope you like it as much as I do! SolydXK really is a superb piece of craftsmanship. :D

-- Dave

timber

Postby timber » 11 Dec 2013 03:21

i won't be going back to Windows ...
Took a bit of a commitment but once I also decided this, I found ways to do whatever I need to do with SolydXK.
(e.g. NetFlix, dwg compatible CAD software, office suite, multimedia etc).
I love not having nagging messages telling me I have to reboot, not having to defrag every other day, not having to purchase and constantly update virus protection and firewall software ... but most of all I love the freedom of virtually endless customization possibilities, the freedom to choose my environment, the freedom to be creative with this OS.
SolydXK is a good place to land, welcome to the SolydXK forums!

Signed,
100% MS free
timber

Samsung R580-M430 @ 2.27GHz - 8 GB RAM
Geforce 310M w/ nvidia-driver
SolydX/SolydM - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydK - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydKBE - Kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 - LTS Update Pack: 2014.07.15

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 11 Dec 2013 09:24

Hi Greg, and welcome to our forum!
I hope you're going to like your stay here.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ane champenois

Postby ane champenois » 11 Dec 2013 10:10

Hello Greg,
Welcome to the solydXK forum!
I hope you'll enjoy SolydXK for a long time ;)
They did not know it was impossible so they did it.

flyinraptr

Postby flyinraptr » 11 Dec 2013 18:00

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'd like to share a little bit of my experience so far .... first i have two machines - a desktop running an iCore7 cpu, SB-XFi, Dvico HD Tv Tuner, Ati Radeon 6500, dual monitor, Crucial SSD drive for the OS installation and an older Dell Latitude laptop with a Broadcom 3411 wireless chip. I was actually trying out Linux Mint 16 Petra on both machines last week - was impressed with that distro - but wasn't excited about the fact that support would end in a few months for the version i had just downloaded. Other than that - seemed to be working well - although i was not able to get the wireless working on the laptop and i had struggled (took me a couple days) to get the SB-Xfi working right on the desktop.

I installed Solydk (32bit) on the laptop first - the installation is straight forward and similar to other distros - although i think for someone not familiar with working with drive partitions or tools like Gpart or how to partition Linux - might find it a little confusing. I setup a 10gb root partition, 2gb swap and i think it was a 50gb home partition. After the install finished - and rebooted - i liked the screen popup with the option to install addt'l drivers - i selected wireless - it properly detected the Broadcom chip and loaded the right B43 driver - i quickly configured my wireless network connection and just like that it was good to go. As i mentioned in my initial post - I'm impressed.

I then installed the 64bit version on my desktop - using up the entire 70gb SSD drive. The first thing that i noticed on first boot is only one of the monitors was working (one is on VGA and the other is on DVI). I bounced out to the Solydk forums and found a couple of threads with ATI - issues and was able to sort it out (although on a subsequent reboot - it reverted and i fixed it again - but haven't had a chance to test it again to see if the configuration sticks). Everything else with the install was spot on - the OS feels very fast and responsive. The first thing i did was install Tvtime - no problem up and running - my Dvico TV Tuner is connected to a DirectTV Satellite box. The TV quality could be a tad bit better - but that is a problem i see with all Linux distros and this particular TV Tuner card - it is long in the tooth - probably time to replace it. I next installed VirtualBox (Quicken is the one Windows app that have not been able to find a suitable replacement - not fond of Gnucash - but thinking about trying Kmymoney) - no problems there but before i installed Win7 as a guest OS I remembered that i had read about PlayOnLinux coming pre-installed - had never used it before - so decided to quickly give it a try and see if Quicken would run on it. Using it was very straight forward and i was able to get Quicken installed and running under PlayOnLinux in just a matter of minutes. Now that is freaking awesome (and didn't bother installing Win7 as a guest OS)! I configured Thunderbird and installed and configured Chrome (all bookmarks sync'd etc). I tested an mp3 and a video - no codec issues - no sound issues (as mentioned earlier i had struggled a bit with Linux Mint 16 - getting the SB-xfi card working correctly) - the SB-Xfi worked right out of the box. I did a little poking around and setting up the desktop to my preference but ran out of time. When i get back to it - i want to check out options for downloading/editing video from my GoPro.

Cheers ...
I gotta keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring? ~ Chuck Nolan

not found

Postby not found » 11 Dec 2013 18:09

When I hear Anaheim all I can think is MLG :)

flyinraptr

Postby flyinraptr » 11 Dec 2013 19:22

"When I hear Anaheim all I can think is MLG" - Sorry not sure what you're referring to (Major League Gaming perhaps)?

not found

Postby not found » 11 Dec 2013 20:04

flyinraptr wrote:"When I hear Anaheim all I can think is MLG" - Sorry not sure what you're referring to (Major League Gaming perhaps)?
Yup, Anaheim is one of the yearly stops for MLG ;)

flyinraptr

Postby flyinraptr » 11 Dec 2013 20:20

Gotcha .... usually i get either Disneyland or the Angels!

Return to “Introduce yourself”