Samba hell

Questions about networking.
In the Original Post please also include the output of inxi -FNzxx
jbiddy

Samba hell

Postby jbiddy » 18 Jan 2014 01:38

I have been trying to share a partition on my SolydK install with other computers on a network (GNU+Linux/Windows/OS X) but I cannot get any other computers to access the samba share I have created.

If I try to browse the network from SolydK it first tells me there is no workgroup on the network and I might have a firewall problem (the firewall is disabled at the moment but it's still giving me this error). If I manually typed in smb://my-computer-name I can see the samba shares from the SolydK box itself.

However, if I try to browse smb://my-computer-name from another box eg OS X it gets a connection error every time. I followed this simple guide to get Samba shares on SolydK.

ScottQuier

Re: Samba hell

Postby ScottQuier » 18 Jan 2014 13:30

Have you checked out the samba utility that is included in SolydXK (sambashare). See this thread for details --> http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1452
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

kwisher

Postby kwisher » 18 Jan 2014 20:10

Are you sure you can ping your pc's by hostname? If not, this is a DNS issue. Also try using the IP's instead of hostname and report back.
The instructions suggested Windows XP or better, so I installed Linux :)

jbiddy

Postby jbiddy » 21 Jan 2014 01:54

To answer some questions: I can ping with either IP or hostname and I get returned packets. Whether I try smb://hostname or smb://ip.address I get a connection error.

I have installed the sambashare usermanager application. It is quite beautiful and I like the simple interface, however it recognized the shared partition I was trying to share as if it shared already... I tried deleting it, and then re-adding the partition as a share from the sambashare usermanager but when I click on the partition it gives me a i/o error when trying to read a file from the partition. It appears to be a temporary file to make the ext4 partition viewable in Windoze via Paragon ExtFS for Windows. When it tries to read that file it gives me an error and and stops reading any other files or folders from the partition. All kinds of fun!

I've tried running dolphin as root changing file permissions, tried running sambashare usermanager as root, still can't figure it out, but I feel I'm close.

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 21 Jan 2014 02:34

Try adding:

Code: Select all

client lanman auth = yes
client ntlmv2 auth = no
To the globals section of /etc/smb.conf

For a complete tutorial, checkout
http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=971
-Hinto

jbiddy

Postby jbiddy » 21 Jan 2014 06:05

hinto wrote:Try adding:

client lanman auth = yes
client ntlmv2 auth = no
To the globals section of /etc/smb.conf

For a complete tutorial, checkout
http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=971
-Hinto
I have those settings in my smb.conf file, thanks for the suggestion though :)

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 21 Jan 2014 13:09

The smb.txt file that I attached to the tutorial works in my company's Active Directory controlled mixed environment.
My Linux workstation doesn't have to be part of the same domain (WORKSPACE is fine) esp since I don't have rights to add it.
Even given that, it just works.
-Hinto

jbiddy

Postby jbiddy » 28 Jan 2014 02:39

Hmmm, I'm not sure why mine isn't just working. I even tried deleting my smb.conf file and replacing it with the smb.txt file you uploaded. Still no luck :( Something spooky going on

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 28 Jan 2014 03:42

Did you create your samba user?
I've used the step by step (and smb.txt file) many times with other distros and with ActiveDirectory (work) authentication and no Domain controller (home). Both places are mixed environments with Linux, Win7, WinXP machines on the networks and have no problems.
Remember to rename th smb.txt file and restart samba, too.
-Hinto

jbiddy

Postby jbiddy » 31 Jan 2014 23:37

I have indeed made sure to add the samba user. I don't know what's going on, but no matter how hard I try I cannot get my SolydK box to be visible to any other computers on the network. I can ping ip address, I can ping hostname, but I cannot view shared files no matter how hard I try. I always get connection errors on the clients.

I have tried replacing my smb.conf file with the one you provided, no luck. I've tried going through the tutorial several times. When I check the Samba Status monitor everything is blank. I can see in Samba share that I have several folders shared. On my SolydK box I can typed smb:/hostname into Dolphin and see my shares, but any attempt from another computer to navigate the server fails.

Does my userid need to be a certain number to make this work? I added the samba user with the same username and password as my default user account on the box.

jbiddy

Postby jbiddy » 01 Feb 2014 00:04

Other strange things I notice: when I open Dolphin on the SolydK server and try to navigate to the Samba shares under Network, it gives me a "Unable to find any workgroups in your local network. This might be caused by an enabled Firewall" error. The firewall is disabled. In spite of this message, I can type smb:/hostname or smb/ip.address and it shows me the shares. If I open up smb4k and try to scan the network it also shows up as blank.

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 01 Feb 2014 02:55

Is there something else going on in your network? I just downloaded and ran solydK in a virtul machine and both dolphin and smb4k could connect to my samba shares out of the box.
-Hinto

jbiddy

Postby jbiddy » 01 Feb 2014 03:21

Nothing that I can tell. I also have windows 7 dual boot on this box. When I boot into windows the other computers can see my shares.

jbiddy

Postby jbiddy » 01 Feb 2014 22:00

Lol, okay I'm really about to lose it. Just as an experiment, I copied SolydK to a USB stick, booted into the live environment from the offending server, shared a folder from the partition, and all computers on the network can somehow magically see the share. I have no idea why it doesn't work with my bare metal installation. This is very, very strange.

jbiddy

Postby jbiddy » 02 Feb 2014 08:56

So I finally figured this out.... I'm glad it's working, but I am ready to throw something at a wall, possibly myself for trusting something I should have known not to trust.

Dolphin has been reporting all along that there is a firewall enabled that is the problem but everytime I went to System Settings>Firewall it clearly showed me that the Firewall is disabled. This was also true when I checked in the live environment, so I took the GUI at its word. I don't know why it didn't occur to me earlier, but I finally decided to only trust the command line so I put in:

sudo ufw disable
And it returned

Firewall stopped and disabled on system startup
So there is a firewall enabled! Sure enough, checked from the other systems and everyone can see the shared partition now.

Never trust a GUI!

Now I just need to look up how to have the firewall enabled but still be able to see shared folders on the network...

ane champenois

Postby ane champenois » 11 Jul 2014 13:44

As I see your 'samba hell' is over now, could you please add [Solved] in your opening post?
Thanks in advance.
They did not know it was impossible so they did it.

Return to “Networking”