New ISO’s for the Home Editions

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

New ISO’s for the Home Editions

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 25 Jan 2014 07:37

New isos include the latest Update Pack

KDE
KDE has been updated to version 4.12.1
LibreOffice
LibreOffice has been updated to version 4.1.4-2
Firefox and Thunderbird
Firefox has been updated to version 26.0, and Thunderbird to version 24.2.0
Community packages
These packages were added to the community repository:
grub-customizer, kdeconnect, plasma-mediacenter, xfce-theme-manager, xfwm4compositeeditor
You can find more information in the community section of our forum.

You can find more information, and download the ISO’s on our product pages:
SolydK Business Edition: http://solydxk.nl/business/solydkbe/
SolydK Back Office: http://solydxk.nl/business/solydkbo/
SolydX: http://solydxk.nl/homeedition/solydx/
SolydK: http://solydxk.nl/homeedition/solydk/
SolydXK Multi DVD: http://solydxk.nl/homeedition/solydxk-multi-dvd/

The Business Editions will follow later.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

palimmo

Re: New ISO’s for the Home Editions

Postby palimmo » 25 Jan 2014 08:33

excellent! distrowatch should be informed asap ;)
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 25 Jan 2014 09:39

palimmo wrote:excellent! distrowatch should be informed asap ;)
We never have to: DistroWatch monitors our blog. They do that quickly too: http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=08270

SolydXK needs you!

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 25 Jan 2014 09:41

Schoelje wrote:
palimmo wrote:excellent! distrowatch should be informed asap ;)
We never have to: DistroWatch monitors our blog. They do that quickly too: http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=08270
very good!
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 25 Jan 2014 15:58

Getting it now..
-Hinto

patzy

Postby patzy » 26 Jan 2014 06:18

Now getting solydk from internode.on.net. - very quick mirroring!

Have my production machine ready for it...

Testing using 32bit SolydK
Pentium Dual CPU E2220 2Gb memory
Geoforce 8400 using Nouveau driver

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 26 Jan 2014 06:55

Some statistics

Usually we have about 3000 hits per day on our main site. Yesterday we had over 10000 hits, making this the best day in our history.
Distrowatch brings about 50 visitors on a daily basis, but yesterday there were 1800.
People download about 100 isos per day, yesterday our isos were downloaded more than 600 times.

SolydXK needs you!

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 26 Jan 2014 16:55

This is fantastic! Word is getting around. :)

As I mentioned in the testing thread, I already wrote the Multi-DVD to my 8GB USB Stick and booted it all ok on 64-Bit SolydK. I plan to use that stick to go ahead and (re)install on my 32-bit laptop (mostly as a test to see how it all goes). I use that laptop as a spare anyway so it's not a big deal to blitz it and restart over.

As for the downloads and word getting around, hopefully it will for the Business Editions as well. Then I think when Windows XP is EOL fully (I hear they are extending security updates) then I bet businesses could consider SolydBE for a new solution.

As for me, I'm sticking to testing/using the SolydK Home Edition for now.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 26 Jan 2014 17:18

Schoelje wrote:Some statistics

Usually we have about 3000 hits per day on our main site. Yesterday we had over 10000 hits, making this the best day in our history.
Distrowatch brings about 50 visitors on a daily basis, but yesterday there were 1800.
People download about 100 isos per day, yesterday our isos were downloaded more than 600 times.
Fantastic, yes, and only natural. If one is into Debian at all, the natural evolutionary process will bring them here sooner or later. Darwin would be proud.

[Fanboi much? Ay-yup...]

:D

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 26 Jan 2014 17:27

RavenLX wrote: As for the downloads and word getting around, hopefully it will for the Business Editions as well. Then I think when Windows XP is EOL fully (I hear they are extending security updates) then I bet businesses could consider SolydBE for a new solution.
What I heard is MS is only extending updates for WinXP security products until 14JUL2015 (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... pport-help)
As a result, after April 8, 2014, technical assistance for Windows XP will no longer be available, including automatic updates that help protect your PC. Microsoft will also stop providing Microsoft Security Essentials for download on Windows XP on this date. (If you already have Microsoft Security Essentials installed, you will continue to receive anti-malware signature updates for a limited time, but this does not mean that your PC will be secure because Microsoft will no longer be providing security updates to protect your PC.)
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 26 Jan 2014 19:02

Sounds convoluted. Extending updates a year but not gauranteeing safety. I'm very glad I switched to Linux over a year ago. We don't have that problem. 8-)

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 26 Jan 2014 19:17

RavenLX wrote:I'm very glad I switched to Linux over a year ago. We don't have that problem. 8-)
I can only wish. Unfortunately I support a lot of stubborn, cantankerous old foo.. Uh.. <ahem> People. So out there gathering up all the unofficial update packs and WSUSing m' butt off.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 28 Jan 2014 23:38

I just installed 32-bit SolydK onto my spare laptop using the recent Multi-DVD ISO (201401). It installed well but there are a few bugs:

1. python-ufw is not installed by default, so firewall is not able to take new settings. The previous DVD (201311 I think it was) had that pre-installed so it worked out of the box. Now it's broken. Workaround: $ sudo apt-get install -y python-ufw (thank you zerozero for telling me how to fix this).

2. In relation to #1, I think it would be most secure to have the firewall turned on by default and allow only outgoing but not incoming (so that one can use the web, email, etc.).

3. Sound Volume goes way up at random add moments. Workaround: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2637

4. Login screens show blank backgrounds (ie. not the wallpaper shown in the login theme chooser). This has also been a problem in the previous iso.

5. gimp-plugin-registry is no longer included? I loved that one and had to manually search for it and download it online. I would have liked to still be able to install it in the software manager.

6. sendmail has broken packages. Workaround: Run Synaptic Package Manager. Be sure that sendmail is not marked for installation. Edit - Fix Broken Packages. Then Reload. Now sendmail can be marked for installation and installed. I use this for local development purposes so not sure if it would affect most users.

mistergil

Postby mistergil » 29 Jan 2014 01:54

I've removed all the older torrent versions and replaced them with the newer on my seedbox.
Please advise if the 32-bit SolydK with the noted issues is modified so I can replace it if that is necessary.
Reg. #439601

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 29 Jan 2014 08:21

@RavenLX
Thanks for the feedback!
  1. None of the iso's has this package: it's not available in stable, and it doesn't seem to be a ufw dependency in testing. It'll be added in the April ISO's.
  2. Good suggestion. I'm going to check that out.
  3. I'll test this in the ISO's as well
  4. That sounds like a hardware issue (haven't seen that behavior before).
  5. That would be something for the Community section: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewforum.php?f=57
  6. I think if you first install sendmail-bin, you can install sendmail without problems.
@mistergil
These are non-critical issues. So, I won't need to build new ISO's.

SolydXK needs you!

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 29 Jan 2014 10:14

5- removed from testing http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/gimp-pl ... istry.html bug #704713

6-

Code: Select all

zerozero@home ~ $ sudo apt-get -s install sendmail sendmail-bin
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libevent-2.0-5 libsamplerate0:i386 libspeexdsp1:i386
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following extra packages will be installed:
  sendmail-base sendmail-cf sensible-mda
Suggested packages:
  sendmail-doc rmail logcheck resolvconf sasl2-bin
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  dma exim4-config
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  sendmail sendmail-base sendmail-bin sendmail-cf sensible-mda
0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Remv dma [0.9-1]
Remv exim4-config [4.82-3]
Inst sendmail-base (8.14.4-4.1 Debian:testing [all])
Inst sendmail-cf (8.14.4-4.1 Debian:testing [all])
Inst sendmail-bin (8.14.4-4.1 Debian:testing [amd64])
Inst sensible-mda (8.14.4-4.1 Debian:testing [amd64])
Inst sendmail (8.14.4-4.1 Debian:testing [all])
Conf sendmail-base (8.14.4-4.1 Debian:testing [all])
Conf sendmail-cf (8.14.4-4.1 Debian:testing [all])
Conf sendmail-bin (8.14.4-4.1 Debian:testing [amd64])
Conf sensible-mda (8.14.4-4.1 Debian:testing [amd64])
Conf sendmail (8.14.4-4.1 Debian:testing [all])
bliss of ignorance

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 29 Jan 2014 14:40

RavenLX wrote:4. Login screens show blank backgrounds (ie. not the wallpaper shown in the login theme chooser). This has also been a problem in the previous iso.
Schoelje wrote:4. That sounds like a hardware issue (haven't seen that behavior before).
Actually, I just found out it's a software issue. I looked into it. There are two problems (I will use oxygen-air as the example as that is what I fixed but it's the same for the other ones):

1. The .xml file (/usr/share/kde4/kdm/themes/oxygen-air directory) only lists "Air" as the background wallpaper. It should be "Air.jpg".

2. There is no Air.jpg on the system. It wasn't included. It should be put in /usr/share/wallpapers directory. I found a copy online by using google image search and put it in that directory.

Once I did the above two steps, the login screen for that theme now shows the background wallpaper just fine.
Schoelje wrote:6. I think if you first install sendmail-bin, you can install sendmail without problems.
When installing sendmail, it marks sendmail-bin and a couple other things for sendmail. I think the problem might be in trying to remove "dummy" packages like exim (there's a dummy package installed for it, I think - though I could be wrong) and another one that starts with an "l" (I am sorry I didn't note the packages removed and too lazy to look it all up in dpkg log at the moment). I didn't think of just looking for and installing only sendmail-bin. If I need to reinstall ever again I will have to remember to try that out.

Thanks ZeroZero for the sendmail install line. I'll put that in my notes.

Now if they could just get all the depenencies ready and test the gimp-plugin-registry, I'll be greatly happy! :) Guess the folks at debian are handling that one. For now I found a copy and downloaded and installed it so even though it's an old copy, hopefully it'll work. I don't think I have it on my Production (daily use/testing) machine. It's on the 32-bit one though.

Notsonoble

Postby Notsonoble » 29 Jan 2014 16:49

Is there a reason ping requires sudo in this ISO and its install? It wasn't that way previously.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 29 Jan 2014 17:23

Notsonoble wrote:Is there a reason ping requires sudo in this ISO and its install? It wasn't that way previously.
I've noticed that also with ifconfig. I personally think that requiring sudo to run net operations such as ping and ifconfig is a good idea because then it reduces security risk of non-authorized users (or those that may put in a program against the user's knowledge) to get IP information from your computer and be able to ping from your computer. I would like those commmands to keep requiring 'sudo' to run.

Notsonoble

Postby Notsonoble » 29 Jan 2014 17:38

As someone who does network support for a living. It's all kinds of bad. I DON'T want my network monitoring software which runs automated pings and other tests running at elevated privileges. Nor do I want people who I'm helping troubleshoot their personal machines having to deal with simple testing requiring elevated privileges if the user who happens to be on the other end of the phone doesn't have them.

Return to “News & Anouncements”