UP 2014.01.15 [PRODUCTION] [DONE]

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
j.st.

Re: UP 2014.01.15 [PRODUCTION]

Postby j.st. » 05 Feb 2014 21:28

eidnch wrote:Thankyou for your suggestion. Which packages you hold back and how you made this? With preferences?
Hello,

sorry for the late reply, no time.....

Here are the packages which are set on hold:
libgl1-nvidia-glx libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 nvidia-alternative nvidia-driver nvidia-kernel-dkms
nvidia-settings nvidia-vdpau-driver xserver-xorg-video-nvidia

I have done this with Update-Manager -> Settings -> Ignored packages (This is a selfmade translation of my German menu, I don`t know the correct English phrase.

Also you should be able to do this with Synaptic:
synaptic.png
Synaptic Screenshot
I hope this will help you little bit...

Jens
Linux user since 1998 -> Suse -> Kubuntu -> Linux Mint KDE and now SolydK

sumitb

Postby sumitb » 06 Feb 2014 06:28

Hi Team,

I don't know whether it is the right place to post this, but Thunderbird is prompting to update it since this morning however, update manager shows nothing. Can this be checked?

Machine: Lenovo G580, Corei5-3210M, 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM, Intel HD4000, Seagate 500GB HDD, Intel HD-ALC269VC Audio, Broadcom BCM4313 WLAN, Atheros AR8162 LAN, Broadcom BCM20702A0 BT

Alt OS: Windows 8.1 x64

stelios

Postby stelios » 06 Feb 2014 13:48

sumitb wrote:Hi Team,

I don't know whether it is the right place to post this, but Thunderbird is prompting to update it since this morning however, update manager shows nothing. Can this be checked?

Thunderbird updates come through the SolydXK repositories, so you will see them in updatemanager. The update notifications you get from Thunderbird are useless in this case (a remnant from windows). Go to preferences->advanced->updates and disable them. This does not affect the updates of the various addons you may have. (leave those checked)

salemt87

Postby salemt87 » 07 Feb 2014 21:03

hello from italy :)
after format, i'm install solydK 32bit 201411on my notebook (asus f3ja). sda1 swap, sda2 root.
after reboot i can't start system. i have this message:

in December I installed the same solydk 32bit without any problem.
What could I do?

EDIT: sorry for bad english

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 07 Feb 2014 21:13

Hi salemt87, and welcome to our forum!

I had that once, and it was caused by a faulty ISO download.
Did you check the md5sum before installing?

You can find it on the product page of the main site.
In your case for SolydK32: 14fb8095ba3521db96d78b8c11c88077

If you burned to a DVD, you should md5sum that DVD.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

salemt87

Postby salemt87 » 07 Feb 2014 21:25

Schoelje wrote: If you burned to a DVD, you should md5sum that DVD.
is dvd problem :oops:

now i burn new dvd. thanks

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 07 Feb 2014 22:10

j.st. wrote:
eidnch wrote:Thankyou for your suggestion. Which packages you hold back and how you made this? With preferences?
Hello,

libgl1-nvidia-glx libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 nvidia-alternative nvidia-driver nvidia-kernel-dkms

I have done this with Update-Manager -> Settings -> Ignored packages (This is a selfmade translation of my German menu, I don`t know the correct English phrase.

synaptic.png

Jens
@Jens
what i don't understand are those backports packages (bpo)
could you please share with us the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Sxxxr
bliss of ignorance

j.st.

Postby j.st. » 10 Feb 2014 07:57

zerozero wrote:
j.st. wrote:
Hello,

synaptic.png

Jens
@Jens
what i don't understand are those backports packages (bpo)
could you please share with us the output of

inxi -Sxxxr
Hi zerozero,

after installing the SolydK update packages my Nvidia driver was updated to the current version. But there is no support for my card in the new version. So I have installed manually original debian version 304.xxxx. Today I'm not sure why I have choosen the backport packages...., I think it was impossible to downgrade the packages, but I don't know why.......
I will post the inxi output in the next time, unfortunately I'm have only little time to "play" with the best KDE Distri at the moment.

P.S.: The original 304... Nivida drivers should be available in the standard repositories, right? I'm thinking about why downgrading was impossible. Maybe I should start a new trial to install the old drivers.....

Jens

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 10 Feb 2014 08:22

I'm not certain what you mean, but I think you're referring to the legacy packages:
nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

j.st.

Postby j.st. » 10 Feb 2014 08:34

Schoelje wrote:I'm not certain what you mean, but I think you're referring to the legacy packages:
Hello,

you are right, I refering to the nividia-legacy-304xx-driver. Unfortunately I have allow to update these package. After that it was impossible to make a downgrade, maybe I have made a mistake.... I'm not sure.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 10 Feb 2014 12:12

j.st. wrote:
Schoelje wrote:I'm not certain what you mean, but I think you're referring to the legacy packages:
Hello,

you are right, I refering to the nividia-legacy-304xx-driver. Unfortunately I have allow to update these package. After that it was impossible to make a downgrade, maybe I have made a mistake.... I'm not sure.
When I was using a Nvidia 7600 GT card, I would ....

Remove the current Nvidia drivers .. See this post --> http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php? ... 914#p21874

Then install the legacy driver

$ sudo apt-get install nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver nvidia-xconfig
$ sudo nvidia-xconfig
$ sudo reboot
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

j.st.

Postby j.st. » 11 Feb 2014 07:15

ScottQuier wrote:
j.st. wrote:
Hello,

When I was using a Nvidia 7600 GT card, I would ....

Remove the current Nvidia drivers .. See this post --> http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php? ... 914#p21874

Then install the legacy driver

$ sudo apt-get install nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver nvidia-xconfig
$ sudo nvidia-xconfig
$ sudo reboot
Hello ScottQuier,

yesterday evening I started an new trial to install the nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver package and every thing is fine now. Thank you for your hint. I don´t know what´s going wrong at my first attempt but now it´s solved. No need for bpo packages. Really great.
Maybe my problem was caused in the time of transition from "normal" Nvidia driver to the legacy package?! Great forum and great KDE distro. It´s safe to say that SolydK is the best KDE distro I have used.
Thank you!

Jens

eidnch

Postby eidnch » 13 Feb 2014 19:41

Thank you for your help!

I don't understand why this happens that the legacy driver is not installed automatic because the card is detected correct. I have also installed Kubuntu and there it works correct. It must be a debian bug, or?

Perhaps the admins can post this workaround explicit at the update section, because all with older nvidia cards will have this problem.

I bought now a newer computer with a intel graphic card and there i hope it will work better.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 13 Feb 2014 23:43

eidnch wrote: Perhaps the admins can post this workaround explicit at the update section, because all with older nvidia cards will have this problem.

I bought now a newer computer with a intel graphic card and there i hope it will work better.
Because a lot of folks have issues with getting the Nvidia driver set up correctly and/or they want to remove the Nvidia driver in favor of the nouveau driver .... well, I thought it was time to get all the pieces together in one place.

Hence ... this tutorial ---> http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2908

As to the intel graphics card ... I have AMD64 chipped tablet on which I've installed SolydK. It has an intel graphic device and (after I removed most of the MS Win8 artifacts) it works SWEET right out of the box!
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Return to “News & Anouncements”