Yikes! Cds and DVDs not recognized or mounted? (Solved)

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals.
In the Original Post please also include the output of inxi -Fzx
vtpoet

Yikes! Cds and DVDs not recognized or mounted? (Solved)

Postby vtpoet » 22 Feb 2014 01:20

So, I'm sitting here with my family and a new install, ready to watch a movie, and SolydK isn't recognizing anything I put in the CD/DVD drive, saying only "No Devices are Available"! What's up? Help!
Linux Reap what you tweak.

ScottQuier

Re: Yikes! Cds and DVDs not recognized or mounted?

Postby ScottQuier » 22 Feb 2014 01:34

Do a quick search on rc.local and DVD. There are a couple of threads covering this. HTH
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

vtpoet

Postby vtpoet » 22 Feb 2014 02:19

Phew! Okay. Had to enable Kernel Polling. A desperately quick search got me the info. Sheesh! Debian. :| Everybody's taking a break from the movie. Thought I'd fire this off.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 22 Feb 2014 03:00

So you got it sorted? If so, please mark the thread solved. :D ;)
Scott

vtpoet

Re: Yikes! Cds and DVDs not recognized or mounted? (Solved)

Postby vtpoet » 22 Feb 2014 04:17

ScottQuier wrote:So you got it sorted? If so, please mark the thread solved. :D ;)
Right. Just finished the movie. And the solution from here:

http://ignorantguru.github.io/udevil/#polling

Does every Debian based distro have this problem? Anyway...
Enable Kernel Polling

You may need to enable kernel polling for device media to be detected by udevil. For example, if you insert a CD and udevil's monitor command doesn't report a change to the device, or udevil doesn't see a filesystem on the device, this is a symptom that kernel polling is not enabled.

Kernel polling is a newer feature of the Linux kernel and udev, so some distros don't yet have it enabled by default. To use kernel polling, your Linux kernel may need to be 2.6.38 or newer, and udev may need to be version 173 or newer.

To determine if kernel polling is enabled:

cat /sys/module/block/parameters/events_dfl_poll_msecs
cat /sys/block/sr0/events_poll_msecs

If you get 0 or -1 from both of those commands, kernel polling may be disabled.

To enable kernel polling permanently (survives a reboot), add the following command to your /etc/rc.local file (anywhere before the 'exit' line in that file):

echo 2000 > /sys/module/block/parameters/events_dfl_poll_msecs

Any number between 2000 and 5000 (milliseconds) should be reasonable - the higher 5000 means poll every 5 seconds, which is less overhead but a little slower.

OR pass this option to the kernel boot command line in grub:

block.events_dfl_poll_msecs=2000

OR add a udev rule to enable kernel polling on removable devices:

echo 'ACTION=="add", ATTR{removable}=="1", ATTR{events_poll_msecs}=="-1", ATTR{events_poll_msecs}="2000"' > /etc/udev/rules.d/61-removable-storage-polling.rules

A reboot will be required for the above changes to take effect, or...

To enable kernel polling temporarily and immediately, enable common polling for the block module:

sudo bash -c 'echo 2000 > /sys/module/block/parameters/events_dfl_poll_msecs'

OR you can enable polling just for a single device like this (/dev/sr0 in this example):

sudo bash -c 'echo 2000 > /sys/block/sr0/events_poll_msecs'

This change should be immediate - media will be detected. However, the above change will be lost when you reboot.

cobb

Postby cobb » 22 Feb 2014 04:50

vtpoet wrote:To enable kernel polling permanently (survives a reboot), add the following command to your /etc/rc.local file (anywhere before the 'exit' line in that file):

echo 2000 > /sys/module/block/parameters/events_dfl_poll_msecs

Any number between 2000 and 5000 (milliseconds) should be reasonable - the higher 5000 means poll every 5 seconds, which is less overhead but a little slower.
Interesting. I installed SolydX from the January ISO and that is enabled in my rc.local. Wonder if something overwrote it in yours or it is random as to whether or not it will enable on install.
Technology slave by coincidence.. Linux user by choice.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 22 Feb 2014 13:51

It was a problem the cropped up just prior to the build of the 201401 iso set. Early iso images also didn't appear to exhibit the problem.
Scott

vtpoet

Postby vtpoet » 22 Feb 2014 14:11

Guess I won the lottery. :|

On the up side, video playback seemed to be much smoother in SolydK than Netrunner (on the same system and my point of reference). I had just replaced my expired Netrunner/Enigma install with SolydK.

I'm not sure why the playback seems so much smoother, but I do know that SolydK runs way, way, much cooler than Netrunner. The VAIO is much quieter. My theory is that video playback isn't competing with as many processes. I also notice another improvement. Dual screen setup --> My laptop screen is 1080 and the ext. monitor is an older Apple monitor with less resolution but physically larger for watching movies. With Netrunner/KDE (and when the monitors were unified) the laptop top image would be truncated with black space to the left and right. I notice that SolydK/KDE stretches the VAIO desktop to fully fit the 1080 screen. In other words, lower resolution, but fits the screen. I find this latter arrangement much superior. Don't know why it should be different between Netrunner and SolydK (they're both KDE) but maybe Netrunner somehow tweaked KDE. Anyway, despite the occasional glitches, I'm so far finding SolydK to be a much improved experience.

vtpoet

Postby vtpoet » 03 Mar 2014 01:18

Just installed SolydK on the last of my three laptops. Same problem -- this on a 32bit system. Guess I won the lottery twice. :|

PRafael

Postby PRafael » 27 Mar 2014 00:30

Hi.

I had the same problem with SolidK 32 bit after the January (?) upgrade. I don't use the DVD quite often so I only notice the problem now and follow this thread to resolve it... and now it works well.

Txs for the help posted here ( I choose to edit rc.local and use 5000 milisec option)

Regards

EeePC 1011PX - 1Gb RAM - 320Gb HDU - SolidK 32 bit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to “Hardware”