Documentation for XP users

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Documentation for XP users

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Mar 2014 14:18

Who would like to create user documentation with the current XP user in mind?

It should include an introduction to SolydXK, the community, how to find your way around, and of course, a more detailed description of the most important software in comparison to what people know from Windows.

I suppose it's a lot of work, but if a group of people could work together on this, I think it's worth the effort.

Who would like to pick this one up, starting with SolydK?

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Deleted User 2763

Re: Documentation for XP users

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 01 Mar 2014 14:35

This seemed like a pretty good start:
http://www.linuxalt.com/
-Hinto

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 01 Mar 2014 15:21

What is the intended focus of this? Is it to provide a "Here's where you find stuff" type of thing? Or is it more of what hinto was/is hinting at (no pun inteded, really); a "If you you used to use this with Windows, here's what is available in SolydXK" type of thing?
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 01 Mar 2014 16:54

I wish I could help with this but like everyone else or a lot of people I don't know if I could commit the time.

One thing that should be included however would be how to set up libreoffice to read and save MS format as default.
I say this due to the fact that most Windows users will have Excel and Word files to work with no doubt.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Mar 2014 17:21

ScottQuier wrote:What is the intended focus of this? Is it to provide a "Here's where you find stuff" type of thing? Or is it more of what hinto was/is hinting at (no pun inteded, really); a "If you you used to use this with Windows, here's what is available in SolydXK" type of thing?
None of the above ;)
It should explain how to do things in SolydXK, compared to how you did things on Windows.

SolydXK needs you!

DeMus

Postby DeMus » 02 Mar 2014 17:27

Open a Google+ (or similar) account to have many people edit the texts. I was part of a team who wrote for the Full Circle Magazine and we used Google+. Ideal. In fact we did write a piece about the differences between Windows and Linux.
Just share with all those who are interested.
If I can be of any help just say so. I have some time sometimes. I used XP and I use SolydK.
Came from Windows, used Ubuntu, Kubuntu, LinuxMint and now LinuxMint KDE-64. Love the KDE desktop.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 02 Mar 2014 17:42

DeMus wrote:Open a Google+ (or similar) account to have many people edit the texts. I was part of a team who wrote for the Full Circle Magazine and we used Google+. Ideal. In fact we did write a piece about the differences between Windows and Linux.
Just share with all those who are interested.
If I can be of any help just say so. I have some time sometimes. I used XP and I use SolydK.
I'm looking for a project leader for this project. I have very little time to pick this up. So, I hoped somebody of the community would like to be owner, and manage the project. Are you willing?

SolydXK needs you!

DeMus

Postby DeMus » 02 Mar 2014 18:01

Willing yes. Being able ... ????
I have never done something like this and I surely want to help as much as I can but to make me the project leader is probably one step too far. Are there any others interested in the job? Please.....

I did just write an e-mail to the founder and chief-editor of the Full Circle magazine (http://fullcirclemagazine.org/) to ask if we can use the texts which were written in the series "Closing Windows". Hope to get an answer soon.
Came from Windows, used Ubuntu, Kubuntu, LinuxMint and now LinuxMint KDE-64. Love the KDE desktop.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 02 Mar 2014 18:14

DeMus wrote:Willing yes. Being able ... ????
I have never done something like this and I surely want to help as much as I can but to make me the project leader is probably one step too far. Are there any others interested in the job? Please.....

I did just write an e-mail to the founder and chief-editor of the Full Circle magazine (http://fullcirclemagazine.org/) to ask if we can use the texts which were written in the series "Closing Windows". Hope to get an answer soon.
I know Ronnie Tucker: he reviewed when we were still the "Unofficial LMDE KDE", and later when we just started, he put SolydXK on the cover: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/issue-72/

It would be a start.

SolydXK needs you!

DeMus

Postby DeMus » 02 Mar 2014 20:34

Just received an answer from Ronnie Tucker from the Full Circle Magazine. He writes, and I quote:
"Sure, carry on. All text in FCM is CC:SA3 license. As long as you credit FCM and make your manual available as source then that's great.

We featured SolydXK in a couple of back issues. People do like it."

So, I will start taking the stories from the magazines we wrote about doing Windows things the LInux way and see what we have so far.

In other words we do have a start.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 02 Mar 2014 21:04

DeMus wrote:In other words we do have a start.
Yeah!
I will help as much as I can.

SolydXK needs you!

ilu

Postby ilu » 05 Mar 2014 13:22

This would be great. It's exactly what I'm working on at the moment. XP is going to end and I don't want W7. So now I'm trying linux, solydX to be precise.
Is this the appropriate thread for proposing content? Or where should that go? I tjhink some of the issues I had (ans those I'm going to have) might be of relevance to others.

If this project is using google plus I can't contribute. I'm not only getting rid of MS but Google has to go too.
Why not use a wiki format to get as much input as possible?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 05 Mar 2014 13:44

I think DeMus is going to initiate this project.
I suppose it's going to be a Google+ document, because we want to include it as a pdf with the ISO's. All depends what he's used to for these kind of projects.

You can always create an odt file, and attach that here if you want to propose a subject for the documentation.

SolydXK needs you!

ilu

Postby ilu » 05 Mar 2014 14:26

OK no wiki for solyd documentation /sadface

I had a look at that Fullcircle issue and that is not exactly what I had in mind. I think many windows convertees will struggle mostly with setting up the system - at least I know I do. If you got through all those problems or if somebody else does that for you then the Fullcircle series seems to be a good reference.

I think prior topics should be (I know all this stuff already is somewhere, just not on in one spot):
- Which distro to choose (x vs. k, home vs. business)
- Installing a dual boot system for smooth transition - without prematurely mucking up windows or accidently deleting your windows data partition (this was my main fear during setup).
- Guides to configure hardware in general (sound, grafic, printer, scanner) - where to start the installation (built in drivers? manufacturer website?) and where to start for troubleshooting - this is what I'm currently fighting with.
- Howto install updates
- Where to look for additional software and howto install it
- Installing favourite windows software using wine/playonlinux (already there in the tutorial section for MS Office - haven*t tried that yet)

DeMus

Postby DeMus » 05 Mar 2014 15:57

Well, it's not that I want to force the articles published in FCM to be leading here, I just thought about those since we have done the same type of articles there. This was also mend for people leaving Windows (Closing Windows as the series was called) and stepping on to, in this case, Ubuntu in all sorts and flavors.
What I want to suggest is to look at these articles and use them, or parts of them, in the new SolydXK document.

Schoelje will write the introduction, as he wrote me.
I agree with ilu that there should also be a part about the "beginning" as well, meaning which version to chose(what are the differences), how to install it, how to set it up correctly, dual boot, etc. Problem with this is there are so many different computers, one disk, two disks, what looks like an ideal setup for somebody could be totally wrong for somebody else (which partitions do you make, or do you put everything into 1, including or excluding /home).
Is here somebody here who thinks he/she can write a nice clear article about this?

In other words there is enough to write about.
If there are people reading this thread and who have ideas of their own, please don't hesitate to tell us. If you want to help that would be even better since I feel that the coming 3 months (deadline is the first of July) will be pretty stressful.

I will open a page on Google-drive and everyone who is interested in helping can be added here so we can all work on the documents which will be located on 1 central place. Since we will be using the same text-editor there will be no compatibility problems.

Edit:
Since I am a KDE user I sure could use help from somebody who uses the XFCE desktop since I know little to nothing from SolydX.
I am busy already writing parts for SolydK, if somebody could please "translate" these parts into XFCE language then also ex-Windows users who skip to SolydX know how to do things.
Thank you.

Deleted User 1322

Postby Deleted User 1322 » 05 Mar 2014 21:07

My ideas for a documentation of converting from XP to SolydXK are:
  1. Before installing SolydXK on HDD at all, there are several important "To do's" with XP first
    -- Backup of importent contents and documents
    -- Defragmatation of the whole XP-Partition (maybe not only with XP-programs, but also with external tools) to get real free HDD space to install SoldyXK later and using XP in hopefully careless dual boot, which should be the default way of installation
    -- Moving XP from the frontside of the HDD to backside of the HDD (because of removing it very easyly, when familiarization with SolydXK is at its best and having SolydXK as a main system in the first part of HDD)
    -- Formating the "old" XP partition or leaving it like it is in order to use it for anything else very later when the user will get rid of XP
    -- Creating recovery media of XP to have a full functional OS if the installation of SolydXK is going wrong later
  • Creating a very simple "manual" of every single step on the way of converting from XP to SolydXK in aiming to confirm interested people to do the change without fear and with "learning by doing", but without killing them with tons of words and technical terms. In my opinion the German magazin "Computerbild" is a very good example of creating such "manuals".
  • Of course the character of a "Rolling Release" emphatically has to be mentioned to create a familiar feeling with SolydXK - and in contrast to XP - the user is going to have the right to decide if the system should be updated or not.
Let me say it once more:
There are several "To do's" before speaking about the "How to's" of installing SolydXK on HDD.

I am a very proper example how a user is going to be interested in Linux at all and especially in SolydXK. I don't want to read for hours. I want to "work". Most of all the interested people are going to think in a similar way. Therefore you have to accompany them on the very, very simpliest steps. The more this will taken place, the better the acceptability of SolydXK will be.

DeMus

Postby DeMus » 05 Mar 2014 21:14

Hello Hubsi_Gberg

It looks to me you are just the person we are waiting for to help with this project. Please say you want to help. You seem to know just what is needed.
If you could write the part about installing SolydXK it would be so great. When you are interested just send me a private message with your e-mail address and I will add you on the google drive page so you will access.

ilu

Postby ilu » 05 Mar 2014 22:05

Before installing SolydXK on HDD at all, there are several important "To do's" with XP first ... snip
You are right in theory, but this is going much to far because it has more to do with windows than with linux.
There is another way: Don't waste time by messing with windows. Do yourself a favour and don't touch the windows harddisk at all. Buy a new one or use an old one (120 gb or even less is plenty enough) for your Solyd install. It's only little money and you save yourself hours of work and potential trouble and data loss.
Concentrate on your new system instead. Grub will automatically pick up the WinXP harddisk and configure it for dual boot.
Whoever really really insists on saving some bucks and wants to spend time moving XP around on his harddisk might go ahead and take one of the guide which are already there on the net.

I would start with the advice: Save yourself the headache and get another hd, new or old. Sooner or later you'll need more diskspace anyway.

DeMus

Postby DeMus » 06 Mar 2014 17:45

I wrote in a previous message the following text:
I agree with ilu that there should also be a part about the "beginning" as well, meaning which version to chose(what are the differences), how to install it, how to set it up correctly, dual boot, etc. Problem with this is there are so many different computers, one disk, two disks, what looks like an ideal setup for somebody could be totally wrong for somebody else (which partitions do you make, or do you put everything into 1, including or excluding /home).
Is here somebody here who thinks he/she can write a nice clear article about this?

Now we have different opinions already about what to do with XP: keep it, re-install it, lose it.
Installing an OS is so personal, it is difficult to describe "the right way" since there is no right way, at least not for everybody. I think we should settle with a basic install with an addition about the possibilities what to do with XP, should you even want to keep it. Starting April 8 (I think) MS will no longer support it so it could get vulnerable to attacks.
My choice would to get rid of it completely, this is what I have done some years ago when I installed a new buntu version. Now my disks only have Linux on them. Yeah. Sorry, not completely. This week I re-installed XP in a virtual machine to get screenshots for the articles (and to see how things were done in the old days).

People, we still need help to write all the articles. Please consider helping with this project or I am afraid it will not happen. Especially for the SolydX version help is needed. I am a KDE man and know little to nothing about XFCE.

HELP

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 06 Mar 2014 22:57

It is important to keep this manual according to KISS.

Describe the boundaries before you start: what is the purpose of the document, for whom are you writing it, what's the goal of this document with the target public in mind. After that you can choose the subjects of the document, and appoint people to write about that subject.

It should not aim to be complete, or try to cover all thinkable scenarios.
Focus on what is important: how to find your way, where to ask for help, how does that work, what can I expect, and what can I offer. A general description of the installation, also some simple tasks, like updating the system, and explaining what are Update Packs, and why we need them, opening and editing a docx, configuring Thunderbird, etc.

SolydXK needs you!

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”