I can't seem to find an icon set in SolydX

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
GNUday

I can't seem to find an icon set in SolydX

Postby GNUday » 09 Apr 2014 03:24

Edit: I was mistaken, the icon theme is call elementary-xfce-darker

Korora (the Fedora 20 based Xfce version) has an icon theme called elementary-darker, not dark or Xubuntu dark, "darker", my suggestion is or really a question, where can I find it? Can it be included in the next 'release'?

Greybird+Agualemon+elementary-darker is da bomb for Xfce, oxygen is OK in KDE, let's leave it there, lol. Also, in Korora, when using Agualemon, there are two extra window title bar buttons, a grey one for shading and a blue one for basic window functions (always on top, etc), it's kinda cool actually. :geek:

People are whinging about bland out of the box, let's make Xfce pretty, KDE is what it is, I can't be bothered 'fighting' with KDE anymore.
AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0), 2 Intel 520 Series 120GB SSDs, 2 Seagate storage HDDs, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3, Asus Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold PSU...running no systemd PCLinuxOS

GNUday

Re: I can't seem to find an icon set in SolydX

Postby GNUday » 09 Apr 2014 04:33

Found this searching "icons elementary-darker".
AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0), 2 Intel 520 Series 120GB SSDs, 2 Seagate storage HDDs, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3, Asus Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold PSU...running no systemd PCLinuxOS

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 09 Apr 2014 05:18

Some sample pics from Korora 20 (greybird+agualemon+elementary-xfce-darker)...
KororaThunar.png
KororaGedit.png
KororaGedit.png (31.7 KiB) Viewed 3157 times

drc

Postby drc » 09 Apr 2014 15:35

GNUday wrote:Edit: I was mistaken, the icon theme is call elementary-xfce-darker.
Be careful when transposing icon sets between distros (or importing from the source) to get everything you need. For example, elementary-xfce-darker "Inherits=elementary-xfce-dark" (from the index.theme, hint hint), which "Inherits=elementary-xfce", which "Inherits=gnome,hicolor". And these last two sets (gnome and hicolor) can vary wildly between distros (i.e., iirc, gnome in xubuntu and SolydX has about a 200 icon difference, I could be wrong about the number (goldfish memory :) ), but there is a difference between the two).

Just a heads up.

EDIT: My error, I was thinking of hicolor between SalixOS and Xubuntu...sorry. But the concept remains valid.

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 09 Apr 2014 16:02

drc wrote:
GNUday wrote:Edit: I was mistaken, the icon theme is call elementary-xfce-darker.
Be careful when transposing icon sets between distros (or importing from the source) to get everything you need. For example, elementary-xfce-darker "Inherits=elementary-xfce-dark" (from the index.theme, hint hint), which "Inherits=elementary-xfce", which "Inherits=gnome,hicolor". And these last two sets (gnome and hicolor) can vary wildly between distros (i.e., iirc, gnome in xubuntu and SolydX has about a 200 icon difference, I could be wrong about the number (goldfish memory :) ), but there is a difference between the two).

Just a heads up.

EDIT: My error, I was thinking of hicolor between SalixOS and Xubuntu...sorry. But the concept remains valid.
Thanks for the information and tips, icons are not a huge issue, was just throwing around suggestions since people belly ache SolydX is not so pretty out of the box. IMHO, Xfce and KDE are two different DEs with different personalities, I don't see the need to make them look the same. "First impressions" are important, even in the real world, for jobs, etc, the pretty girls get the dates, lol. ;) :shock: :lol:

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 09 Apr 2014 19:56

GNUday wrote:Xfce and KDE are two different DEs with different personalities, I don't see the need to make them look the same
indeed :) but SolydX and SolydK are 2 faces of the same distribution, so it makes sense to have continuity (even visual)
bliss of ignorance

drc

Postby drc » 09 Apr 2014 20:10

zerozero wrote:
GNUday wrote:Xfce and KDE are two different DEs with different personalities, I don't see the need to make them look the same
indeed :) but SolydX and SolydK are 2 faces of the same distribution, so it makes sense to have continuity (even visual)
True Dat :)

And I do understand the reasoning behind the decision. My major problem is that with oxygen-gtk it is a "all or nothing" theme...I can't use it and even change the icons (which I personally think poorly of)...unless, of course, I'm missing something glaringly obvious to a casual observer (a distinct possiblity, I admit).

EDIT: Plus the fact that it's not always obvious to a casual observer that one must logout/in to actually effect any changes from oxygen-gtk, unless I'm missing something glaringly obvious...again. :)

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 09 Apr 2014 20:47

indeed, oxygen-gtk "is a jealous theme and will tolerate no false themes" :lol: but back in the day (saying like that it seems it was ages ago :mrgreen: ) when we were putting SolydX together there were 2 fundamental reasons to chose oxygen:

- the first one is the distribution consistency (several times mentioned)

- the second is that oxygen-gtk was (from all the available themes at the time) the only that would guarantee us continuity through the gnome updates;
  • we could go back then with a fancy, flashy gtk theme (several were presented) [if we were to skip point 1] but we would have to
    • rely on the theme maintainer to update the theme when we needed it (and not sooner, what is tricky because usually debian is behind in the gnome version so if the chosen gtk maintainer was to be active - as we would expect - the theme would be updated before we had a matching gnome version in debian; and gtk themes made for 3.4 don't work in 3.6 or 3.8)
    • as we know that debian doesn't usually update gnome all in way go (even if all the above was irrelevant we would have gnome app in different gtk versions (as we have now) and there's no way to make one gtk theme work flawless in such conditions
    • if we picked a nice theme back then that later stopped being maintained or we had no access to a compatible version we would be forced to change the default theme; not a huge task for the new isos but something less than ideal for installed systems
the only real options were adwaita and oxygen-gtk (again if we forget about point 1)
between the 2 i think we are better with oxygen-gtk
[yes, it has a couple issues but overall the outcome is positive]
bliss of ignorance

drc

Postby drc » 09 Apr 2014 20:53

zerozero wrote:...but back in the day...
Like I said, I understand the reasoning, and if I were the one making the decision, I'd probably make the same one.

But I still think the point made in my EDIT: is valid :)

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 10 Apr 2014 01:01

@zerozero...I see your point, if I'm not mistaken, Korora (Fedora 20 based) is not a rolling release, allowing them to do a custom job on the aesthetics per release. :oops:

@drc...Agreed but maybe the solution would be install the theme changer/previewer (can't remember the package name right now) by default and have a message popup about logging in/out when the final combination is OK'd. :idea:

I guess I'm just kind of oxygened out, I'm loving xfce because it's just enough, no bloat, it doesn't want to hold your hand, not a lot of things flying around or popping up and it just works, oh well, each to their own, my desktop is pretty. :D

drc

Postby drc » 10 Apr 2014 01:24

GNUday wrote:...Agreed but maybe the solution would be...
Oh, I have <no> idea how to fix it, in all honesty I'm content to let those with far more knowledge figure that out. I just want to make sure they know that <someone> thinks its not a good idea.
GNUday wrote:...my desktop is pretty.
But obviously mine's prettier :)

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”