[SOLVED] su: Permission denied, (concerning the UP)

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
decrypted

[SOLVED] su: Permission denied, (concerning the UP)

Postby decrypted » 16 Apr 2014 20:42

So I'm fairly new to solydxk (On solydk home edition now) and I've had my fill of researching this for quite a while, and today I figured to install this on my physical machine. Than I checked the blog to figure out the newest UP (I came from lmde and read the about page, So I wasn't completely lost.) Than I saw this, http://solydxk.nl/up-and-bebo-2014-04-15/. So I'm a terminal guy and I wanted to update it from the terminal, So I downloaded http://packages.solydxk.nl/umfiles/tst/ ... 2014.04.15 as it said and _attempted_ to run it as sudo (su) anddd... wind up with this ==> -su: ./pre-up-2014.04.15: Permission denied.
And yes, I can hear you quitely murmuring 'Just google it', Well I already did. But In my experience with debian, I never had _this_ problem >ever<.And No I haven't done /anything/ before leading up to this point. I basically installed the system then went straight to the blog than this.

P.S Please don't tell me to just run it though the update manager, because thats exactly how things don't get solved.

drc

Re: su: Permission denied, (concerning the UP)

Postby drc » 16 Apr 2014 20:50

And this, my dear children, is the canonical example of how NOT to ask for help.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 16 Apr 2014 20:52

hi decripted :) welcome to the forum

did you checked if the file was marked as executable? don't usually are when downloaded.
bliss of ignorance

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 16 Apr 2014 20:57

decrypted wrote:So I downloaded http://packages.solydxk.nl/umfiles/tst/ ... 2014.04.15 as it said and _attempted_ to run it as sudo (su) anddd... wind up with this ==> -su: ./pre-up-2014.04.15: Permission denied.
Yep. That's what you get when you download something and forget to set the x-permissions before running it...

Edit: doh. Beat me to it...
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

decrypted

Postby decrypted » 16 Apr 2014 21:04

drc wrote:And this, my dear children, is the canonical example of how NOT to ask for help.
Not sure what you mean of how that was 'how not to ask help', Or maybe I'm just new to this sort of thing because I've been able to solve my own problem though google or by the help of others on irc.

decrypted

Postby decrypted » 16 Apr 2014 21:06

zerozero wrote:hi decripted :) welcome to the forum

did you checked if the file was marked as executable? don't usually are when downloaded.
x.x well shit. Sorry xD, My sleep pattern is getting the best of me

drc

Postby drc » 16 Apr 2014 21:08

decrypted wrote:Not sure what you mean of how that was 'how not to ask help'...
Well, you started out with "WTF" and ended up with "Don't tell me....". Sounds pretty rude to me.

decrypted

Postby decrypted » 16 Apr 2014 21:15

drc wrote:
decrypted wrote:Not sure what you mean of how that was 'how not to ask help'...
Well, you started out with "WTF" and ended up with "Don't tell me....". Sounds pretty rude to me.
Well you got me on assuming, Sorry, Won't happen again :)

Return to “Newbie Questions”