Show your Desktop Screenshots

Share here your personal tips or creations: desktop, conky, docks, widgets or tweaks are welcomed here!
Orbmiser

Re: Show your Desktop Screenshots

Postby Orbmiser » 05 Jul 2014 00:26

RavenLX wrote:Nice work on everything! :)

Seems everyone is doing computer backups/redoing things. I'm currently doing that on both my computers. HP is done. T61 is slow so I'll be at that the whole weekend, I bet. Adding a few things to the T61 (if it works out) in case I need it.
Yep quite a chore but glad it's over. Now to back up present partitions here before the July update.
And came back to add the Wallpaper links in above post to share with other's.

Links to wallpaper made a Black & Blue version.

Image.
Pirate Black

Image.
Pirate Blue

Go to Image Page click on down arrow button lower right bottom of image. Choose size you want and download.

Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 05 Jul 2014 00:55

July update - forgot about that! I'll probably have to do this again then the weekend after.

Andrew

Postby Andrew » 14 Jul 2014 23:33

This is how I have set up my Dell D630 running SolydX 64bit. Nothing fancy or changed much. I mainly only use the laptop out in the bush to check emails & a few websites when I go away.

All I've basically done is change the Applications icon, added a new wallpaper (same one on desktop), made the panel somewhat transparent with a different colour, some transparency on moving windows, & added Cairo-Dock with the things I use most. Those are Libreoffice Writer, Pinta, Kdenlive & Audacity. Also kept Applications Menu & Home folder in as well. Have Cairo-Dock set to hide when I open a window that would cover it.
Attachments
screen1.jpg
Desktop: 64bit 2.6gHz dualcore 2G RAM - SolydK HE
Laptop: Dell D630 Latitude; 64bit 2gHz dualcore 2G RAM - SolydK BE

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 15 Jul 2014 00:58

I Schteam-punked my inschtall, heh.

AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0), 2 Intel 520 Series 120GB SSDs, 2 Seagate storage HDDs, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3, Asus Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold PSU...running no systemd PCLinuxOS

Andrew

Postby Andrew » 15 Jul 2014 01:36

Looks nice GNUday.

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 15 Jul 2014 02:55

Andrew wrote:Looks nice GNUday.
Yeah, unfortunately this icon set was made for Gnome, most of them work, but you can see by the picture in my previous post it needs a bit of work for Xfce. :(

The Avdira system font is in the repos, the Penhurst (title bar font) and Sancreek (GKrellM) were downloaded and manually installed. :mrgreen:

That WM style is 'Retro', it's in the repos too.
AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0), 2 Intel 520 Series 120GB SSDs, 2 Seagate storage HDDs, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3, Asus Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold PSU...running no systemd PCLinuxOS

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 18 Jul 2014 05:02

My latest 'theme', I call it 'human-gorilla', with the exception of those icons found here, I like to see what I can get away with based on what's in the repos.

Click on the pic after it loads to go full size...

lee1762

Postby lee1762 » 05 Aug 2014 11:26

I'm using KDE. The tweaking I have done is to pull the corners of the panel in and added the Yahoo Weather Widget. My Window theme is Symplicity Black and the desktop theme is Black Glass. I changed the colors to a more olive green aspect. I also changed the folder colors to match my earthy sceam. My background is what I find to be awesome. Two snapshots uploaded.
Attachments
snapshot7a.png
snapshot7a.png (214.73 KiB) Viewed 6607 times
snapshot6a.png
snapshot6a.png (131.57 KiB) Viewed 6607 times
ASUSTeK model: CM1745, Quad core AMD 64 bit A8-5500 APU
Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Trinity [Radeon HD 7560D]
SolydK all the way!

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 05 Aug 2014 15:07

My latest incarnation for those that like the normal-ish look...

I 'stole' (just kidding, they're freePL) the icons from these nice people at github.

Appearance Style=shearwater (I like the panel window button outlines and the nice menu item easy-on-the-eyes mouse-over colour)
Icons=elementary Xfce dark (I like the 'traditional' COLOURED back and forward arrows/button icons, etc)
Font=DejaVu Sans Book 10, anti-aliasing hinting=slight, no sub-pixel order, no DPI (this works for ME, your setup may require different)
Window Manger Style=Bluebird (I'm just a little tired of too much grey)
Desktop Colour=#184518 (pool table felt green, I don't want to overdose on blue, Monet painting was 'stolen' from here)

lee1762

Postby lee1762 » 05 Aug 2014 16:43

Green is always a good color. Nice look
GNUday wrote:My latest incarnation for those that like the normal-ish look...

I 'stole' (just kidding, they're freePL) the icons from these nice people at github.

Appearance Style=shearwater (I like the panel window button outlines and the nice menu item easy-on-the-eyes mouse-over colour)
Icons=elementary Xfce dark (I like the 'traditional' COLOURED back and forward arrows/button icons, etc)
Font=DejaVu Sans Book 10, anti-aliasing hinting=slight, no sub-pixel order, no DPI (this works for ME, your setup may require different)
Window Manger Style=Bluebird (I'm just a little tired of too much grey)
Desktop Colour=#184518 (pool table felt green, I don't want to overdose on blue, Monet painting was 'stolen' from here)

ASUSTeK model: CM1745, Quad core AMD 64 bit A8-5500 APU
Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Trinity [Radeon HD 7560D]
SolydK all the way!

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 05 Aug 2014 19:41

lee1762 wrote:Green is always a good color. Nice look
Thank you. :mrgreen:

Zero Angel

Postby Zero Angel » 07 Aug 2014 04:02

This is a dual monitor screenshot of my freshly set-up and good to go distro. I'm pretty happy with everything except I normally use Docky as my dock, but the latest versions have stability problems.

http://zeroangel.overminddl1.com/misc_i ... -08-06.jpg

Snap

Postby Snap » 07 Aug 2014 09:13

Here's my simplistic approach

Clean

Busy

One of the beauties of KDE is that you can bloat your desktop as much as you can or you can make it as clean and simple as the best and less intrusive WM can do. :mrgreen:
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 07 Aug 2014 12:40

Here it is this month (well, maybe during the course of the month the background picture may change). I'm using a new Desktop Style called "Invisible" which I got from clicking the button to get more styles. I like it because it's not leaving unsightly bars on the side and bottom. The thing I don't like about it is that there's no background bar on the side or bottom. :lol: It's like I hate/love it. I like how things "float" on the desktop though.
Desktop-August_RavenLX.jpg
RavenLX's August Desktop

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 07 Aug 2014 12:53

I'll take a moment to describe my icons:

Right side top/bottom:
Eclipse, phpMyAdmin, Glade, Ninja IDE, ClawMail (noticed KMail can't be installed anymore?) I use ClawMail for local mail while testing scripts, I use GMail in a browser for my normal mail. Then after that is the Terminal, PuTTY (for logging into the work production servers to do admin stuff), VirtualBox, GIMP, Agave (color scheme picker), FileZilla (FTP), Firefox, a google chrome app link to my backup Google Drive, pdfsam (PDF Split and Merge), Kate text editor, a specially formatted blank LibreOffice Writer document (for writing letters, making PDF docs, etc.), calculator, Amarok (music), Lyrica (it's a flash klickety type game I made a link to), Shisen-Sho.

Then on the bottom left is the menu, desktop, Dolphin and I have Firefox open.

The bottom right (left - right):
Trash Can, Update Manger, Clipper, Volume control, KNemo (green for incoming, red for outgoing traffic), WiFi signal, other stuff in the up arrow, Time/Date.

At the top right is the button to put the laptop in sleep mode (I can't close the lid in mine because doing so repeatedly will break the one corner even more and pull out or break the monitor cable - a known problem with HP laptops that a friend of mine tried to fix - he fixed it then it broke in another spot), and of course my sticky note plasma widget which I often use to remind me what to back up or other things I need to add to notes or to do, etc.

Not shown but in my Favorites menu is (top - bottom):

A link to my budget spreadsheet (has a custom-made green dollar sign icon), Google Drive for my "normal" account (I have two accounts, one specifically for doing cloud data backup and another for everything else), Kaffeine for playing DVDs, Kiki regular expression tester, AirDroid (which I probably will be removing as I'm stopping my Android phone service soon and going back to TracFone to save some money).

I have quite a lot installed but that's probably for another discussion.

The point here is I pretty much keep a lot of stuff handy which I use all the time and then in favorites I have things I may need from time to time but not every day. Then the menus have all the other stuff I know I'll need at times but not a whole lot.

Snap

Postby Snap » 07 Aug 2014 18:28

Desktop Style called "Invisible"
I don't like Invisible for backgrounds like those. It's a kind of a visual mess. Nevertheless, I like it for more uniform backgrounds. :mrgreen:

I'm using a mix of Mirado with Sand Turtle task items. It looks nicer with them.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 07 Aug 2014 19:00

You know what they say "to each his own". But I do agree with you on the "mess" thing. It does kinda look hard to read at times, particularly the system tray area. But it'll do for now. I probably should have changed it to something more solid. For now, I'll leave it as is. I might be changing the background again to something else at a later time. I get bored easily and change things often. 8-)

Andrew

Postby Andrew » 07 Aug 2014 23:10

One thing I've often wondered about is why some people radically change their desktops so often. I don't see mine much once I get on the net, as it's nearly always covered by the browser window. Could someone please explain to me what the fascination of radically changing their desktop weekly or monthly is? I just don't understand it.

This is the latest reincarnation on my desktop computer, & has been this way since mid January this year. I like it like this, so it will most probably look the same until the computer dies. Same as on the laptop, Cairo-Dock hides when covered by a window.
Attachments
snapshot12.jpg

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 08 Aug 2014 01:21

Back to more a monotone Dark Desktop. Using my Trillium Lake & Mt. Hood shot for wallpaper.
Keeping same theme and panels. Tho added Rainlendar easy install from .deb

http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php ... load&all=1

Which adds a fade out/in Calendar in upper right corner.
Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 08 Aug 2014 02:08

Andrew wrote:One thing I've often wondered about is why some people radically change their desktops so often. I don't see mine much once I get on the net, as it's nearly always covered by the browser window. Could someone please explain to me what the fascination of radically changing their desktop weekly or monthly is? I just don't understand it.
Lots of reasons, boredom, experimentation, because we can, etc. I am in my browser a lot too but not always, I do many other things with my computer too, office, multimedia, etc. Actually, what's really creepy, if you look at my last incarnation, it's eerily similar to Windows 98, the green, the desktop font shadow, the icon arrangement, it wasn't on purpose, I just noticed the other day. :shock: Everybody likes what they like, each to their own. Linux is like pottery class, sometimes one makes a garbage ashtray, sometimes one makes a work of art vase, lol. ;) :mrgreen:

Here's a question for ya, when you go shopping for anything, clothes, furniture, a vehicle, etc, do buy the first thing you see or do you shop around for what appeals to you? :?: :idea:

Return to “Customizations”