What is this please?

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Andrew

What is this please?

Postby Andrew » 09 Sep 2014 20:59

As some of you are aware, I'm sending a mate SolydK to replace his Windows Vista that he keeps saying is a problem. So when talking to him on the phone last night I happened to ask him what size hard drive was in his computer.

His answer...I've got 2 of them, 4 & 5.... arrr... thingos. I said 4 & 5 GIG? He said yeah. I said they can't be that small, Vista needs more than that just to install.

He said, well I don't know about that but there's 2 drives & they are set up so that when one fills up it starts using the other one, but I haven't filled the first one yet so I don't know.

I goggled "disk configurations" this morning & found a site that explains about JDOB, RAID & Drobo. Nothing I read sounded anything like what my mate said in the sentence above. So does anyone have any clue what he's talking about, because, unless he is meaning the 2 drives are set up as different partitions (C & D), I don't have any idea. Btw, this is a second hand computer he bought cheap at a garage sale.
Desktop: 64bit 2.6gHz dualcore 2G RAM - SolydK HE
Laptop: Dell D630 Latitude; 64bit 2gHz dualcore 2G RAM - SolydK BE

Orbmiser

Re: What is this please?

Postby Orbmiser » 09 Sep 2014 21:11

I would have him right click properties for each of the drives and either snapshot the image.
Or email what they say there. As if he is going to mess or you are going to help him mess with the partitions.
Then be damn sure you know what the layout is. How many drives? How many partitions? what it's layout is?

As Second Hand and 3rd Party guessing will do more harm then good.
Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

Andrew

Postby Andrew » 09 Sep 2014 21:19

G'day Orb. Thanks. Yeah, that was something I'm going to do because trying to get him to actually tell me over the phone doesn't seem to make me any wiser.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 09 Sep 2014 22:55

If your friend can bear to be without for a week or so, it might be a better idea for him to post the machine your way, you do the work to set it up, and then post it back to him. If you go this route, I think I would load up a bunch of Debian/Linux/SolydXK resource bookmarks in FF for him as well.

I did this for my father and his Win8 machine (yes, he still has Win8 on it). He was absolutely clueless to recover from one of those machine ransom virus/trojan things. He sent it to me, I worked on it for 5 hours, I sent it back to him and he's been happy (as far as I know) ever since.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Snap

Postby Snap » 09 Sep 2014 23:29

unless he is meaning the 2 drives are set up as different partitions (C & D)
Surely that. A typical Win HD partitioning.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Andrew

Postby Andrew » 10 Sep 2014 04:24

Yes snap, that's what I think the case might be, but can't be sure unless I actually know the layout etc as Orb mentioned above.

@Scott. Great suggestion mate, but somehow I can't see him wanting to do that. One consolation is that his son lives in the same city. The son has worked with computers (computer repair shop) in the past but only with Windows not Linux, but I know he would at least help his Dad with the installing. Any concerns he had after that I can easily help by phone or email.

Andrew

Postby Andrew » 11 Sep 2014 21:04

Well I bit the bullet & sent my mate SolydK on Wednesday. Was talking to him again last night & he was complaining about his Windows Vista again. Then he started whinging about getting updates for it all the time. Somehow I don't think he's going to like SolydK, or any Linux distro for that matter, if he doesn't like getting updates. :cry:

Snap

Postby Snap » 11 Sep 2014 21:25

Then he started whinging about getting updates for it all the time. Somehow I don't think he's going to like SolydK, or any Linux distro for that matter, if he doesn't like getting updates.
Don't like updates? Don't use computers. :lol:

It's perfectly understandable he hates them. Windows updates are one of the best known ways to suffer a nervous breakdown. :mrgreen: Debian stable is whole different story.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 11 Sep 2014 21:56

If you sent him SolydK BE, then his update issues will be at a minimum.

However, even if you sent him the HE, the updates are not going to be that big a deal compared with the Windows Update experience. MS throttles the update download pipe so it takes fooooorrrrrrreeeeeevvvvvveeeeerrrrrr for the updates to complete. As you know, not so with SolydXK or any other distro with which I've had experience.
Scott

jsalpha2

Postby jsalpha2 » 12 Sep 2014 01:29

Perhaps you could put SolydXK on a USB drive and mail it to him. He can take it for a test drive and run HardInfo to find out the hardware info for you.

Andrew

Postby Andrew » 12 Sep 2014 01:57

ScottQuier wrote:If you sent him SolydK BE, then his update issues will be at a minimum.
That's another problem again. I would have sent him BE except it's 64 bit & I don't know if his computer is only 32 bit or 64 bit compatible like mine is. So I sent him HE 32 bit to be on the safe side. I asked him that question before but he said he has no idea.

Andrew

Postby Andrew » 12 Sep 2014 02:08

jsalpha2 wrote:Perhaps you could put SolydXK on a USB drive and mail it to him. He can take it for a test drive and run HardInfo to find out the hardware info for you.
Trying to get him to do that would be like trying to teach a dog to drive. It would probably take forever. He still hasn't sent some photos he said he would email me 2 years ago.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 12 Sep 2014 12:46

<off-topic>Slightly off-topic here :mrgreen: but I gotta say I see a world of frustration in your future. Just sayin'</off-topic>
Scott

Andrew

Postby Andrew » 12 Sep 2014 20:14

Frustration in my future Scott? Nah, that's already happened, :lol: ever since I've seriously tried to get him to try Linux. So let's see, that would be like nearly 12 months ago when I was using Mint 14 & was going to send him that.

But it's only a minor inconvenience in the big scheme of things. We've been best mates for nearly 35 years & have been there for each other at times when no one else would help.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 12 Sep 2014 22:36

Mates (even though I'm American, I know that means best friends and then some :) ) for 35 years! That's something special to hang onto! Wow!
Scott

Andrew

Postby Andrew » 10 Dec 2014 21:09

ScottQuier wrote:<off-topic>Slightly off-topic here :mrgreen: but I gotta say I see a world of frustration in your future. Just sayin'</off-topic>
I would have thought so too, but it hasn't happened. Because I don't think he has installed SolydK on his computer yet. 3 weeks after I mailed the distro to him in September, I asked if he had installed it. He said no, he had read the info sheet I sent with it, put the disc on the shelf, & will do it later.

I have spoken to him on the phone numerous times since then, & he hasn't mentioned anything about it. So I know he still hasn't installed it, because he would have said something. :roll:

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”