Setting DNS?

Questions about networking.
In the Original Post please also include the output of inxi -FNzxx
PendragonUK

Setting DNS?

Postby PendragonUK » 19 Sep 2014 10:41

For many years I have been a fan of OpenDNS, I would like to setup my SolydK workstation. I have run into an issue or two.

Firstly I can't find a GUI way of setting the DNS within the kde "System Settings" (I have spent more time in GNOME in the last few years)
When I manually edit /etc/resolv.conf the changes do not survive a reboot.

The OpenDNS nameservers are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

Zill

Re: Setting DNS?

Postby Zill » 19 Sep 2014 14:38

PendragonUK: I don't use KDE so can't help with this one but I just enter my preferred DNS IP addresses directly into my router via its webbrowser config screen. Then they work for all PCs connected to my LAN.

PendragonUK

Postby PendragonUK » 19 Sep 2014 16:00

Zill wrote:PendragonUK: I don't use KDE so can't help with this one but I just enter my preferred DNS IP addresses directly into my router via its webbrowser config screen. Then they work for all PCs connected to my LAN.
Unfortunately the router supplied by my ISP can't be changed. It's odd it's the first time I have really had a dig around the network settings in kde it's quite barren compared with GNOME. There are Proxy settings but nothing for setting IP, dns, vpn IPv4 or 6 settings. I can't believe the guys at kde don't expect you to change any of these things so I guess I'm missing something.

PendragonUK

Postby PendragonUK » 19 Sep 2014 16:03

OK I think I have found it!!! OK now I feel stupid. Left click the icon in the taskbar. I have been right clicking that damn thing... digging through the system settings.

Zill

Postby Zill » 19 Sep 2014 16:55

PendragonUK: I am pleased you have now found the KDE settings for this but I am intrigued to know more about your router and ISP. I have had a few of both over the years and always been able to configure my router the way I wanted it. I am currently using a Belkin F5D7632-4 which I bought (for peanuts!) on ebay but I have also used ISP supplied routers such as the BT Voyager series.

Which make/model router do you use and can you configure any of the settings?

PendragonUK

Postby PendragonUK » 20 Sep 2014 09:30

My ISP is BT and the router is supplied by them. It's a BT Home Hub 3 Wi-Fi router.

Although it has some advanced settings it's heavily dumbed down. Port forwarding for instance you can not type in the ports, you have to select from a predefined list of applications. This thing is dumber than a brick. The wireless is truly terrible. My home is a really small bungalow, and the wifi has difficulty making it to the back of the house.

I know I need to replace it, but funds are low. I read about some of these amazing routers that can be flashed and configured properly, then I see the price and my heart sinks.

Snap

Postby Snap » 20 Sep 2014 09:47

They usually have default passwords. Do a little search in the web and try to find them for your particular model and ISP. Sometimes routers have many features disabled that you can see in the device manual but doesn't appear in the menus the ISPs tweak when accessing as the regular user. In this case you'll have to find the admin account for full access instead of the default account.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

PendragonUK

Postby PendragonUK » 20 Sep 2014 11:14

This is using the admin PW, BT is big enough to have these think manufactured for them and write their own firmware. It's locked down pretty hard.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 20 Sep 2014 16:51

I have a NETGEAR Wireless Router - N600 Dual Band Gigabit (WNDR3700) (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HW ... UTF8&psc=1) for which I paid $65US back in Jan 2013. I have it flashed with DD-WRT (04/01/13) and it's been working a real treat.

Um, they now go for $78US
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Zill

Postby Zill » 20 Sep 2014 18:14

PendragonUK wrote:My ISP is BT and the router is supplied by them. It's a BT Home Hub 3 Wi-Fi router...
Thank you for the clarification. Personally, I wouldn't give house room to any router that I could not fully configure myself.

From what I can see the BT Home Hub 3 simply seems to be a (rather crippled!) ADSL2+ router and therefore configurable alternatives are readily available for low prices. For example, a new Edimax AR-7284WNA 150Mbps ADSL2/2+ WIRELESS ROUTER is available on ebay for just £9.97 including delivery! It also has the advantage of not including the usual BT bloated "services" such as BTFon, which generously shares your precious internet bandwidth with other random users!

For the price of a pizza, I would certainly try an alternative router! ;-)

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 21 Sep 2014 19:25

I have got the impresssion from BT's marketing that their hubs are open to the big wide world so you carry traffic from any passing charabang full of old aged pensioners with their fancy phones all using your BT hub.
A much better idea is to transfer your alleigances to Plusnet which is a BT subsiiary which does not charge BT prices and still employs human beings from Shefield. They answer the phone without silly call costs and carry service reports that tell you what is happening. I have been with their predecessors for 15 years and am still with them because they provide a service.

No I am not an employee but I do get commission if you mention my name! They are good. When I was on dial up they let me know when it would be cheaper to use their 'freecall 0800' numbers rather than pay as you go.

martin welsh

PendragonUK

Postby PendragonUK » 21 Sep 2014 20:34

I have just moved in the last 3 months. It's a good idea at least at first to get your internet from the phone supplier. If not you can get into a terrible mess if there are issues. The ISP blame the phone company and the phone company blame the ISP. So if you go with the company that own the line "if" there is an issue it becomes their sole responsibility to sort the issues out. Then once you know the line is good after a year you can look around at a cheaper surlier.

(To anyone reading this from outside the UK we have regulations that instruct the line owner in this case BT, to allow other ISP's to use their lines. As such we have some very competitive ISP deals available here.)

So once I have been with BT for a year and the 12 month contract is up I will be looking around for a better deal. For my current plan, phone and internet Plusnet would save me £15 per month. BT costs £45 all in and Plusnet would be £30. That's phone with un-metered calls, 74Meg Down and 17Up unlimited. That unlimited bit is more important than the speed, however nice it is to have it. I routinely transfer 800+ Gb per month.

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 22 Sep 2014 13:14

BT owns Plusnet and so far they let them operate independently.

I have free calls any time plus significant free overseas calls, 10G of broadband but pay for calls to mobiles and premium numbers, al for normally less than £40 per month. Plus, and this is a big plus, a help line in Shefield.

But not be the cheapest but they answer the phone!

martin welsh

Zill

Postby Zill » 22 Sep 2014 13:40

mhwelsh wrote:BT owns Plusnet and so far they let them operate independently...
Slightly off-topic but I used to be with Madasafish (yes, really!) which was a great British ISP until they got taken over by Plusnet/BT. When the curse of BT struck everything went downhill with a useless CS based in South Africa. After things went from bad to worse I upped sticks and went straight to IDNet and never looked back!

Return to “Networking”