Important SolydXK news

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
Deleted User 2764

Re: Important SolydXK news

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 30 Nov 2014 21:44

@Zill: The main reason I stuck to SolydXK is because of the fact the Home edition works so well. I'm hoping we can somehow continue that.

@fleabus: I'm in NY state and well, let's just say I have my own "cave". I pretty much stay in my apartment on the computer. :)

Andrew

Postby Andrew » 30 Nov 2014 22:10

I have no worries with the Solyd HE editions going over to Stable branch. I realize quite a few people love having the most up to date software, but I'm not one of them. If the programs that are installed work for me I'm happy. As you can see by my siggy, I have SolydK BE on the laptop & it's been on there for nearly a year. Sure, there are probably non-security features of a lot of packages in it that would have been updated to the latest & greatest, but what I have works well for me, so I really don't need them.
Desktop: 64bit 2.6gHz dualcore 2G RAM - SolydK HE
Laptop: Dell D630 Latitude; 64bit 2gHz dualcore 2G RAM - SolydK BE

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 30 Nov 2014 22:20

RavenLX wrote:I'm in NY state and well, let's just say I have my own "cave". I pretty much stay in my apartment on the computer. :)
Actually that's me also. Being a cave-dweller by nature, I create my own cave no matter where I am.

Thanks to zerozero, I'm now just as comfy tracking testing or Sid as I am with stable. For that I'm eternally grateful. But that's just me, I'm in the minority here. I do realize most folks don't like to mess about with their computers, they prefer to use them.... :)

I have BE installs too, and will keep them pointed at Wheezy. As a tinkerer, I like the best of both worlds... ;)

Snap

Postby Snap » 01 Dec 2014 06:43

I have BE installs too, and will keep them pointed at Wheezy. As a tinkerer, I like the best of both worlds...
Even when it becames the old stable? Why? Sysvinit?
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Snap

Postby Snap » 01 Dec 2014 06:49

Thanks to zerozero, I'm now just as comfy tracking testing or Sid as I am with stable. For that I'm eternally grateful. But that's just me, I'm in the minority here. I do realize most folks don't like to mess about with their computers, they prefer to use them....
Since zz won't be here to help the happy adventurous, aka: enthusiast guys tracking Testing and Sid, I hope you'll keep around peeking into those sections to help us out, Fleabus. :mrgreen: We've lost a moderator as well. What you think about that, Schoelje? Fleabus? :lol: What about that hat?

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 01 Dec 2014 07:35

Snap wrote:I hope you'll keep around peeking into those sections to help us out, Fleabus. :mrgreen:
I'm always around somewhere, but there are folks here who've been running Sid much longer than I; I only just came to Linux in July '13.
Snap wrote:We've lost a moderator as well. What you think about that, Schoelje? Fleabus? :lol: What about that hat?
I'd burn out in three seconds flat. I really don't know how they do it; My hat is off to them. I nominate Snap! :mrgreen: :twisted:

Kidding aside, we have some very experienced people here now, who have solved problems which are way beyond me. I'd simply embarrass myself showing off my ignorance. That said, Linux knowledge is not required to swing a fancy colored ban hammer. I'm the last person should never be trusted with one of those. My style of moderation would be no moderation.

Snap

Postby Snap » 01 Dec 2014 07:42

I'd burn out in three seconds flat. I really don't know how they do it; My hat is off to them. I nominate Snap! :mrgreen: :twisted:
I'd burn out even faster than that. :lol: No thanks, I just embraced Linux in feb '13. Too noob and ignorant for that challenge.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 01 Dec 2014 07:50

Too n00b and ignorant myself.

And you're right; I'm no fan of the one-ring either. That said, I'm not anti-systemd, I'm pro-choice. ;)

Snap

Postby Snap » 01 Dec 2014 07:57

But Wheezy might become too outdated for production relatively soon... maybe you'd better have your eyes peeled for Devuan. :lol:

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 01 Dec 2014 08:19

Snap wrote:have your eyes peeled for Devuan. :lol:
So far, they're only copying what's already been done by Refracta, Q4OS, and exegnulinux. I suppose we'll see as time plods on. Definitely interesting times. I'm not sweating anything, but as you say, I'm definitely staying hooked in to this issue. ;)

This is interesting...

http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/ ... bian_fork/

Anyhoo, we should probably continue this in another thread... :oops:

J.Jay

Postby J.Jay » 01 Dec 2014 14:07

Cavemen to the rescue :lol: :P

talk of the 'BE' confuses me. Was very into 'BEOS' back in the day :o (Haiku anyone) :shock:

J.Jay

StratosJL

Postby StratosJL » 04 Dec 2014 05:07

Schoelje wrote:As of today I'm taking a step back in the production of SolydXK. My family and I have come to the conclusion that some things are going to have to change. This means I cannot continue with SolydXK in the current form.
Arjen, I think it would be beneficial to all of us if you could write a few words on what was that which did not work out as planned or hoped. What would be the situation that would have made you continue? Maybe the community can come up with some ideas; or not, that's life. But it would be nice to share the original vision and also the recent realization that made you take the decision.

Thanks for everything,

Stratos

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 04 Dec 2014 15:19

StratosJL wrote:
Schoelje wrote:As of today I'm taking a step back in the production of SolydXK. My family and I have come to the conclusion that some things are going to have to change. This means I cannot continue with SolydXK in the current form.
Arjen, I think it would be beneficial to all of us if you could write a few words on what was that which did not work out as planned or hoped. What would be the situation that would have made you continue? Maybe the community can come up with some ideas; or not, that's life. But it would be nice to share the original vision and also the recent realization that made you take the decision.

Thanks for everything,

Stratos
I'm obviuosly not Schoelje and I don't speak for him. But I think the main issue was just the amount of time that is required to maintain 6 different versions of SolydXK. In the past we had SolydK, SolydX, SolydK 32bit, SolydX 32bit, SolydK BE, SolydX BE. That is a lot of work. Especially when 4 of them were based on Debian Testing which had its own issues. The decision was made several months ago to build on top of Stable to eliminate some of those issues. But that still left Schoelje with 4 different versions of SolydXK to maintain. Now he has decided to drop 'official suppport' of the 32bit versions, leaving him with only SolydK 64bit and SolydX 64 bit to maintain. There is already effort being put forth within the community to maintain the 32bit versions. So in the end your selection of SolydXK options may not look that different than they do now. Any help you can provide to the community in working on the 32bit versions is appreciated.
Andrew wrote:I have SolydK BE on the laptop & it's been on there for nearly a year. Sure, there are probably non-security features of a lot of packages in it that would have been updated to the latest & greatest, but what I have works well for me, so I really don't need them.
SolydXK BE and the new SolydXK based on Debian Stable might have some programs that start to get outdated, but the security packages for Stable are more up to date than they are for testing. So unless you absolutely need the most recent program the new direction of SolydXK is the best way to go. Of course you can also add the backports repo if you need a newer program.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 04 Dec 2014 15:46

Fargo just correctly explained one of the factors that led to this decision , the other one is about economics: while I was working between 30 and 50 hours per week on SolydXK I couldn't bring in money for my family or spend time with my family. I don't want to commercialize Linux and reshape the Linux community (I'm not important enough, and I wouldn't like to carry that burden either). So, the question was: how valuable is my time and what do I want to spend it on? There were also private matters that, as you can imagine, will remain private. Those matters made the answer to the question on how valuable my time is rather simple to answer.

So, in this context I don't see the benefit of explaining even more on this decision. It is what it is.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 04 Dec 2014 16:07

For anyone wanting to help with the 32-bit isos, we have a new thread for testing isos here:

http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=5103

Anyone wanting to help, do contact grizzler. He's doing the SolydX 32-bit ISOs and I've taken up the SolydK 32-bit ISOs. Testers definitely needed! We need some developers too as we try to get rid of bugs that may creep into the isos.

@Schoelje: I still think you made the right decision all around. I'm glad to help as much as I can and now got a procedure going for making the 32-bit isos. I have work, my web site and SolydXK. Luckily I live alone and my time, while not limitless, may be more than the time you have. I think SolydXK is way beyond the ability of just one person to maintain. It should be a community effort just like all of Linux. And I think the community here has become familiar enough with SolydXK that some of us are in a good position now to take up some of the tasks. At least that is what I'm hoping.

So c'mon folks! Jump on board! Let's do this! 8-)

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 04 Dec 2014 21:52

Not sure where to post this question:
Are these going to disappear:
deb http://packages.solydxk.nl/testing/ solydxk main upstream import
deb http://community.solydxk.nl/testing/ solydxk main

Thanks
Dan

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 04 Dec 2014 22:36

"packages" becomes "repository" and "community" will stay.

SolydXK needs you!

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 04 Dec 2014 22:39

Not sure where to post this question:
Are these going to disappear:
deb http://packages.solydxk.nl/testing/ solydxk main upstream import
deb http://community.solydxk.nl/testing/ solydxk main
in my understanding, no. the only thing gone is soldyxk 32 bit version. the rest of stuffs will stay the same. the repo address at some point will get changed but both repos will still exist on solydxk. we are using them to keep solydxk native packages and we will continue do that as long as solydxk alive.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 04 Dec 2014 23:14

I don't know if the 34-bit will go away. How would we then build 32-bit isos?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 05 Dec 2014 07:02

RavenLX wrote:I don't know if the 34-bit will go away. How would we then build 32-bit isos?
I assume you meant the 64-bit versions. I'll maintain those and as long as there is the SolydXK repository, you can build any SolydXK ISO you like ;)

SolydXK needs you!

Return to “News & Anouncements”