2 Years since switching to Linux!

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Deleted User 2764

2 Years since switching to Linux!

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 13 Jan 2015 14:41

Welll, today marks two years since I switched to Linux. I started off with Mint and then switched to SolydK. I have got much more proficient than I used to in diagnosing and fixing problems. Yesterday I redid my partitions with dual-booting Windows/SolydK intact (combined my data partititions into one) and successfully edited fstab. I had to do it manually because I did it manually before due to the parititions being NTFS and sharable in Windows. Then I found I don't really use those in Windows anyway so I combined them and made them into one big ext4 partition. Windows I basically just use for games and stuff I can't run in PlayOnLinux.

My main working OS is SolydK. And it does all I need it too and is pretty stable for what I need.

I also have SolydK on my laptop. I just let my friend have my old T61 laptop with SolydK installed in it (now they can get a little more experience with the OS) and when they were over, they were helping me with some connection issue of a device I bought and were using my SolydK desktop quite easily.

I found I can work a lot more efficiently and with less aggravation in Linux than I can in Windows! Go figure! :mrgreen:

I want to thank everyone here (and zerozero too if he's still lurking) for all their help and for teaching me so much! 8-)

User avatar
patzy
Posts: 406
Joined: 15 Dec 2013 08:32
Location: Australia

Re: 2 Years since switching to Linux!

Postby patzy » 14 Jan 2015 09:26

I've been using linux off and on for years, but since I went to solydk I've really learned a lot. With the help from this community I getting to know how to manage the technical stuff. I've still a long way to go. :!:

I heard some good news today.
My friend who had a spare laptop didn't want to go to the expense of putting windows on it. So I loaded it up with MX-14.(His win XP machine has since given up and I've put SolydX on that, it's waiting for him to collect.)
To get back to the story... My friend's son has been visiting and he wanted to do some computing (for business and pleasure) and all he had was the linux MX machine. He hummed and hawed over it, with complaints. Then he started to get used to linux. He was surprised at how fast it worked, and what he could do with it.
It looks like we have another convert. :D

Testing using 32bit SolydK
Pentium Dual CPU E2220 2Gb memory
Geoforce 8400 using Nouveau driver

Deleted User 2764

Re: 2 Years since switching to Linux!

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 14 Jan 2015 13:03

When I first made the switch (after years of using Ubuntu Server at work, and various desktops in either dual boot or later, virtual machines, and some failed attempts to go 100% Linux in the past), I knew from these experiences that I needed to take the time and dedication to learn how to do things differently than I got used to doing them in Windows. So I took that time and found applications that I needed to get things done. Or if there weren't any applications then to find some other way to accomplish the tasks. There were even some things I used to do that I realized I really don't have the time for and so could drop altogether. The result was I ended up working better in Linux then in Windows!

Windows 8 did it for me though. It was something that even after trying to get used to it, I just couldn't work in it. I still can't but I just use it for games and IIS server stuff if I need to do something at work (though several months ago the boss was talking about converting nearly everything to Linux which is a good thing; that depends on when I can get our new server online and we'd use that setup procedure as a base).

Now, if I were ever to try going back to Windows, forget it. I am too used to Linux and really don't want to (re)learn a "new" OS! :mrgreen:

Rocky
Posts: 127
Joined: 15 Apr 2014 11:04
Location: Ireland

Re: 2 Years since switching to Linux!

Postby Rocky » 14 Jan 2015 14:41

Like patsy I have been on an off with Linux over the last four or five years. Over that time I tried/played /fiddled with Puppy/TinyCore/Xubuntu/Debian/#! And of course SolydXK (XFCE ). For me it is all about learning something new / mastering a new skill - hopeless wannabe techie ! :ugeek:

My most recent try has lasted for about the last twelve months when I had to retire a perfectly good XP computer (home/ personal) and thought why not convert this to Linux which is what I have done ( dual boot in case I need to use some of the windows software although this is very infrequently).

My own opinion is that while Linux could very well be used 100% for many households personal computing needs it still cannot really replace Windows for businesses . Sure if a business only needs an office type package, Internet and email Linux would fit the bill. But once you move to Accounts software / Payroll and other business specific packages , for me, and in our small business, only Windows can fully deliver.
RavenLX wrote:......Or if there weren't any applications then to find some other way to accomplish the tasks.k
I'm not sure I would agree that it is a question of finding a different way to work. That sounds to me like selecting how you work to fit the chosen solution rather than selecting the best solution to fit the Task at hand . Why not Windows when it works best and Linux when it fits best.

One of the slightly negative vibes I have picked up on many forums ( present company excepted of course) is the undercurrent/presumption that Linux is better not because of its inherent good points but rather because it is not Windows. For me it is not a question that Linux/Windows is better than the other - rather they are different - just as there are white roses and red roses .Both have advantages and disadvantages - use what suits best for the task to hand.

.......personal opinion only not intended to criticise but rather to "put the other side of the story"
"All that glisters is not gold" - Shakespeare "The Merchant of Venice"

User avatar
Orbmiser
Posts: 829
Joined: 24 Aug 2013 22:58
Location: Portland,Oregon

Re: 2 Years since switching to Linux!

Postby Orbmiser » 14 Jan 2015 15:53

Rocky wrote: ( dual boot in case I need to use some of the windows software although this is very infrequently).

My own opinion is that while Linux could very well be used 100% for many households personal computing needs it still cannot really replace Windows for businesses . Sure if a business only needs an office type package, Internet and email Linux would fit the bill. But once you move to Accounts software / Payroll and other business specific packages , for me, and in our small business, only Windows can fully deliver.

One of the slightly negative vibes I have picked up on many forums ( present company excepted of course) is the undercurrent/presumption that Linux is better not because of its inherent good points but rather because it is not Windows. For me it is not a question that Linux/Windows is better than the other - rather they are different - just as there are white roses and red roses .Both have advantages and disadvantages - use what suits best for the task to hand.

.......personal opinion only not intended to criticise but rather to "put the other side of the story"
Great points and ones I vibrate with. I've been running Win7 for over 7 years without issue. And the main reasons I left Ubuntu back in 2007-08 was lack of mature and feature ladden applications for photography,video,etc... the list was quite long back then. Then around 2yrs. ago wanted to check in with Linux and to see what's up. I was basically floored by the changes and degree of more applications available for linux users. darktable,RawThreapee,Digikam,etc... came a long way growing up to be serious needed applications. And many serious applications across the board.

But still even today I still dual boot with Win7 for those occasional games. And for Lightroom or Office for my corporate clients and such. Aa need for 100% compatibility for Office documents. As can't afford to come across as unprofessional with mangled documents,spreedsheets,etc.. in any way shape or form. It would cost me actual cash in perceived fly-by-night amateurish light. And have to use Lightroom so my images also come across to them in the way they were generated for the clients needs.

darktable is very powerful but also very complex and a steep learning curve. And finding the time to concentrate on learning new complex programs are being confronted with old fart resistance coupled with ease and convenience to just dual boot to lightroom when I need. As can process 3 or 4 final product images in the time to do 1 or 2 in darktable.

The other issues is of a philosophical stance against violations of my personal rights from the Big Corps & Governments. Along with ideals of the Open Source philosophy and community. As another deciding factor to use Linux whenever possible.

And Linux and the community has made that possible with 90% of the time Linux is my main Workhorse! :o
But always willing to recommend people to stay with Windows when the need is there to do so.
AS in the long term linux doesn't live up to their needs and leaves a bad taste in their mouth.
I'm then giving unenlightened users bad impressions of linux and help giving Linux a bad reputation.

.
Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

Deleted User 2764

Re: 2 Years since switching to Linux!

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 14 Jan 2015 17:00

Well, Windows became nearly unusuable to me back in Windows 7 (especially the changes in the file manager). Windows 8 is a disaster. I do development and Windows just won't cut it. I mean it's a lot of flipping between "metro" and desktop to start programs (or get a start menu that barely does the job). It also is just downright frustrating to use as it tends to slow down. You have to worry about viruses and malware. There's the need to do defrag or the system slows to a crawl (reason why I consolidated 3 NTFS data partitions into the one ext4 partition). Windows just doesn't cut it for me anymore. Once I tried Linux Mint a couple years ago (I was on Mint 14 then), I was hooked. I found myself far more productive.

Then again, the software I needed wasn't things that couldn't be done in Linux. I never could afford Microsoft Office so I use Libre Office (before the Open Office). I save to MS Word .doc files the handbook for the work server and the boss has no issues opening it up in MS Office (I also save it in pdf format as well, just in case). I work with a lot of pdf documents and so make good use of psfsam and a script I wrote to compress pdfs further. I also found that GIMP does everything that I need it to (where in Windows I was using Paint Shop Photo Pro). I can create web sites, or perl, python, bash scripts or C programs in Eclipse. I use Eclispe or Kate for pretty much all my development. Though I am going to work with Ninja and Glade for Python/Glade stuff some day (hopefully). Actually, many of these programs also would work in Windows. But to keep flipping whole screens to get to your menu (desktop to Metro) or going through a really bad hack of a start menu, that just slowed me down right there.

I guess also since I am so familiar with Linux from work, and also it being similar to OS9 Level II from my Tandy CoCo days (going from that to DOS and then Windows 3.1 was really not fun - it was like a downgrade!) I think the familiarity is what also helped.

I do agree with using the best thing for the task but I also like to have things streamlined and consolidated. If I weren't hooked to a couple Windows games that don't run in WINE, I'd be 100% Linux again. Probably will be once I get bored of those darned games.

User avatar
Nuke
Posts: 52
Joined: 27 Sep 2014 19:35
Location: Chepstow, UK
Contact:

Re: 2 Years since switching to Linux!

Postby Nuke » 18 Jan 2015 15:28

Rocky wrote:One of the slightly negative vibes I have picked up on many forums ( present company excepted of course) is the undercurrent/presumption that Linux is better not because of its inherent good points but rather because it is not Windows. .... .Both have advantages and disadvantages - use what suits best for the task to hand.
I consider Linux is better than Windows for many reasons, some being "inherent good points" as you say. These can be technical, or things like the avoidance of malware, adverts and pop-ups. Also to avoid the generally irritating and patronising attitude MS have towards their users.

However there are also good ethical reasons for not using Windows. I would use almost any other system to avoid it, if not Linux it would be BSD, or Solaris which I sometimes do.

Perhaps the main ethical reason is that Microsoft are rogues. For example they repeatedly try to undermine IT standards in order to impose their own, with the aim of controlling them and collecting payments for them in some way. They want to be the "Gatekeeper" and rent collector of the IT world. I suggest reading Gate's "The Road Ahead" to see this attitude - it is more his musing about how he can make money from IT than about technology. To a large extent MS succeeded in becoming the Gatekeeper in the operating system and office software areas, but fortunately (to their immense frustration) failed in the Internet area; they were just too late.

The Open Office XML format affair is an example of their roguery, when MS stuffed National Standards Committees around the world with their Microsoft Partners in order to sway the voting for their OOXML document "standard" even though a fully open standard (Open Document Format) already existed. MS hate free and open standards. Many people just seem to accept MS controlling, or attempting to control, standards, saying "Oh well, MS standards are the de-facto standards", but the more that people use MS, and have that attitude, the easier it is for MS to be that gatekeeper.

Apart from standards, MS's history is full of underhand and even illegal practices : exploiting their monopoly is the best known case, but also misleading Seattle Computer Products when they bought DOS from them in the early days, stealing the code that went into Windows NT from DEC, "cutting off Netscape's air supply", forcing high street buyers to buy a copy of Windows with every PC (a practice that involved threatening to destroy PC maker's businesses otherwise), disallowing transfer of software between machines, and destroying countless smaller software companies.

So there are quite a few reasons of principle for not using Windows.

Deleted User 2764

Re: 2 Years since switching to Linux!

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 18 Jan 2015 18:13

I'm with Nuke on many points and many of those points are the reason I switched to Linux. The reasons I'm still dual-booting is, like I said, I'm still mildly addicted to some games that can't be played in Wine.

Rocky
Posts: 127
Joined: 15 Apr 2014 11:04
Location: Ireland

Re: 2 Years since switching to Linux!

Postby Rocky » 18 Jan 2015 21:32

An interesting post Nuke and I am not attempting to defend Microsofts business practices (although one needs to be careful before classing something as "illegal" ).

The core of my point is that most businesses will find that some at least of the business specific software they need ( e.g. Payroll software) is only available for Windows and that it will not be practical to go 100% linux - to avoid having two systems (eg dual-boot) they are most likely therefore to simply go Windows. Also being practical small businesses need "off the shelf" type software and whilst the Linux Desktop has come a long way I would feel that it is still not there in this respect ( in fact the breadth of choice and distro fragmentation acts as a disadvantage in this respect ).

Now if a major software house were to start providing packages for Linux then maybe that would be a "different kettle of fish"......
"All that glisters is not gold" - Shakespeare "The Merchant of Venice"

User avatar
Nuke
Posts: 52
Joined: 27 Sep 2014 19:35
Location: Chepstow, UK
Contact:

Re: 2 Years since switching to Linux!

Postby Nuke » 19 Jan 2015 00:28

Rocky wrote:An interesting post Nuke and I am not attempting to defend Microsofts business practices (although one needs to be careful before classing something as "illegal" ).
I was being careful. Microsoft were found guilty of violating anti-trust (monopoly) laws http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... Settlement. They appealed, and the verdict was upheld, but the proposed penalty (company break-up) was reduced to a wrist slapping (It co-incided with a change of government, Clinton to Bush). So Microsoft carried on more-or-less as before.

If you start to read the detail that emerged in the case, it gives a very ugly insight of Microsoft's top management, at least at that time. They judge commented that they seemed to consider themselves above the law. Seems that power had gone to the heads of Gates and his fellow directors.

User avatar
excollier
Posts: 81
Joined: 13 Aug 2013 11:47
Location: Donegal, Ireland

Re: 2 Years since switching to Linux!

Postby excollier » 19 Jan 2015 09:12

I have been using various Linux distros for two and a half years now since taking the plunge with a Vista/Mint 13 dual boot in 2012.
My main workhorse is now Solydk BE with Windows 7, 8 and 10 running, when needed, in VM Ware player (Win 8 is still the best way, IMHO, to back up Windows user profiles and data to an external drive when fixing/re-installing Windows for someone) and I like to keep up to speed with them just so I can troubleshoot Windows systems for people.
In a similar vein to Orbmiser, I rarely try to convert "normal" computer owners to Linux, it just isn't worth it if they are the run of the mill computer user, it's too different for most (although far from difficult to use, especially someting like Mint Cinnamon).
As for my personal needs - Windows is just too much hassle and high maintenance, and I have no need of it any more, almost any Linux distro will do all I need.

Off topic I hope to use SolydK BE for as long as possible before systemd takes over. I have a nice stable and easy to use set up and don't want to lose it any time soon.

duped
Posts: 43
Joined: 17 Jan 2014 17:29
Location: Quebec, Canada

Re: 2 Years since switching to Linux!

Postby duped » 22 Jan 2015 04:06

My time line is very similar. I have had linux as dual boot since 2008 but in Jan 2013 when I got a new machine I decided to make Linux my daily OS. I had used DOS and windows since 3.1 and new a bit of unix from mainframe days in university in the late 1980s and 1990s. I am very happy with the move but in all honesty I am not sure I can say that linux has made me more productive and I could argue that it has made me less productive - still I have no intention of going back. Let me explain:

What I love about linux and solyd in particular is that I truly control my system. Even if I do not fully understand it, I know that I can tweak every little thing if I have to. It gives me independence of IT people. I can do everything on linux and Iam comfortable travelling and getting off my work network because I am now blind to it. Windows never was like that. I did not control updates and I did not control how much worked on my windows mahine. Macs are even worse than windows in how they try to control everything. It is really the control issue that makes the difference but I do appreciate as well the linux philosophy.

I may be less productive because I spend a lot of time hacking/working through issues, however, I am really learning a lot along the way. I get kind of pissed off when windows people are angry at me because they are stuck in sharepoint land or outlook land and do not realise that these are just stuck in a mode of doing things are there are alternatives that are OS blind, open and free.

So I am here to stay and I really love solydk and will stick with it as long as it is around.


Deleted User 2764

Re: 2 Years since switching to Linux!

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 22 Jan 2015 13:27

For me, I rarely have to hack/work through bugs/issues now. It's been very stable now for a very long time. Sometimes when there were update packs, there'd be issues to tweak but it wasn't too serious. Right now everything is running great. That's what really has me sticking to Linux: It just works. So I can spend time working on other things.

User avatar
excollier
Posts: 81
Joined: 13 Aug 2013 11:47
Location: Donegal, Ireland

Re: 2 Years since switching to Linux!

Postby excollier » 22 Jan 2015 15:20

Do any of us use Linux distros because they "just work"? I doubt it, we are all incurable "fiddlers", we like to tinker with settings and set-ups, or else we would be like the majority who use Windows because someone else does all the work and makes all the decisions for them.
Not saying that I do much work under the hood, but I have learned more about computers in two and a half years using Linux than the previous twenty with Windows. I enjoy being "not run of the mill". I wish I had taken up Linux years earlier, I might actually be able to make a useful contribution by now.

Deleted User 2764

Re: 2 Years since switching to Linux!

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 22 Jan 2015 17:32

As mentioned in my post, I use Linux because it "just works". Or, I should say, I use SolydK because it just works. :) I can just install it and have it running where I can use it productively within an hour (or half hour or however long it takes to finish the installation procedure). At least that's been my personal experience. YMMV, of course.

Rocky
Posts: 127
Joined: 15 Apr 2014 11:04
Location: Ireland

Re: 2 Years since switching to Linux!

Postby Rocky » 22 Jan 2015 19:42

excollier wrote:Do any of us use Linux distros because they "just work"? I doubt it, we are all incurable "fiddlers", we like to tinker with settings and set-ups.........
Certainly describes me. Even SolydXK ( I prefer XFCE) , once installed check out and tweak all the settings, change desktop background, adjust themes, font rendering etc. As a child I disassembled clocks just to see what was inside - same now as I approach the big "six - O" - I have to see what every setting is for / does. For me this is the fun - once I know how something is setup/works I am looking to the next learning experience ( even toyed with looking into Gentoo / Linux from Scratch :mrgreen: ) It'll be quite a while though before I can say I understand how Linux works - at the minute I am only on the first or second rung of the ladder :D
"All that glisters is not gold" - Shakespeare "The Merchant of Venice"

kurotsugi
Posts: 2220
Joined: 09 Jan 2014 00:17

Re: 2 Years since switching to Linux!

Postby kurotsugi » 22 Jan 2015 20:32

Do any of us use Linux distros because they "just work"?
lot of people actually did. they love linux because it works out of the box. plug in the livecd - install it - done. office suite, multimedia suite, games, browser, graphic editor suite, programming suite in ready for action. for many years it actually one of the biggest linux selling point. it made debian/ubuntu highly famous as one of linux distro because they aimed at "user friendliness" and "work out of the box experience" :3

... but that's not my reason for using linux. I'm on the "fiddler" side :lol:
I am looking to the next learning experience
you don't have to go that far :3
your next learning experience is already in front of you. simply join into debian/solyxk community and try to contribute into the projects and you'll learn more than you could imagine. you can start with something like "what could I to make my linux better" or "what I want to do with my linux". from your post "my own linux theme" should be an interesting adventure for you.

Deleted User 2763

Re: 2 Years since switching to Linux!

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 23 Jan 2015 19:06

I switched in 2006 for work reasons (with no *NIX) experience.
Now I do it for "fun" since I code Win7 and OSX apps.
For Win7, I virtualize Win7 on Linux.
At home I'm 100% Linux.
Freedom is a great thing. I went to CNET/Dowloads.com to get a Win7 temperature monitor. It took me as long to un-install the cruft as it did to find an app that worked.
-H


Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests