BE to Wheezy upgrade

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

BE to Wheezy upgrade

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 28 Jan 2015 10:18

This topic describes the steps that are needed if users decide to upgrade their BE systems to Wheezy.

At the end of the process (see Post-install section at the bottom) the user can convert his/her account to the new QtCurve/Evolvere theme. This is optional.

Note: if you use the Update Manager to upgrade, the sources.list will have changed after the pre-upgrade script has run and points to Debian Wheezy. You do not have to follow the below steps.

If you get an error while upgrading, first open up a terminal and run:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get -f install
[/color]

/etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://repository.solydxk.com/ solydxk main upstream import
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-backports main contrib non-free
SolydK BE/BO to Wheezy
Refresh apt cache:

sudo apt-get update
Prepare for upgrade:

sudo apt-get install solydxk-system solydk-system-adjustments solydk-info
Fix some issues:

sudo apt-get purge userconfig kcm-ufw ^live-*
Upgrade:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Install some packages:

sudo apt-get install kuser gufw
SolydX BE to Wheezy
Refresh apt cache:

sudo apt-get update
Prepare for upgrade:

sudo apt-get install solydxk-system solydx-system-adjustments solydx-info
Fix some issues:

sudo apt-get purge ^live-*
Upgrade:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Post-install
Make sure the Update Manager recognizes that you are fully upgraded:

sudo /bin/bash -c 'echo "upd=2015.01.31" > /usr/lib/solydxk/updatemanager/files/updatemanager.hist'
If you have Nvidia drivers installed:

apt-get install --reinstall nvidia-kernel-dkms
If you want the new theme with QtCurve/Evolvere:

configure-theme
and logout/login as proposed.

You can also do this for root:

sudo configure-theme
If You're unable to shut down or reboot from the menu:

sudo reboot
If the boot splash shows the default text splash, you may run debian-plymouth-manager after reboot and select the solydx/k-logo theme with an appropriate resolution.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

RichLobo

Re: BE to Wheezy upgrade

Postby RichLobo » 31 Jan 2015 23:26

I ran this upgrade from the terminal and all seemed to go well. However, when I rebooted and progressed past the GRUB screen the log in script seemed to run for a few seconds with a colorful progress bar at the bottom of the screen and then the Black Screen of death came up, the monitor went to sleep and nothing else happened. I tried rebooting in SAFE mode, same result. Any clues or suggestions?

This resulted, perhaps, because I jumped the gun and did not think everything through. Maybe the best course of action will be to download and install the Jessie version and see what happens. I'll wait until I get some feedback though, anxious to get your thoughts.

Rich

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Feb 2015 07:06

Did you have Nvidia drivers installed?

I think you meant "recovery" mode. If so, please boot into recovery mode again and login as root ("root"/root_password).
After the login, check that your sources are correct as in the OP of this topic:

nano /etc/apt/sources.list
Then run these commands:

apt-get update
apt-get -f install 
apt-get dist-upgrade
If you have Nvidia cards installed:

apt-get install --reinstall nvidia-kernel-dkms
If that worked, you can reboot:

reboot
Try to login and if you can you can use the Debian Plymouth Manager to set the boot splash screen.

SolydXK needs you!

RichLobo

Postby RichLobo » 01 Feb 2015 07:49

Thank you Schoelje for you reply...

No Nvidia drivers installed.

I cannot get to the log in screen, after the GRUB menu it all goes black after 2 - 3 seconds. Yes, I do mean the Recovery mode. I tried it under the updated version as well as the previous version which still appears on the menu. Same result each time... fade to black.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Feb 2015 07:58

These issues never have an easy answer, I'm afraid.
Before you start to fix this (we'll need to live boot an ISO, chroot into the corrupted system and then try to fix whatever there's wrong) you could try the new ISO.

SolydXK needs you!

RichLobo

Postby RichLobo » 01 Feb 2015 08:12

I have already prepared a new "live boot"... will give it a go in the morning, past midnight now... Thanks.

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 01 Feb 2015 09:50

Two BEK machines done.
Used update manager only 10/10.
One Radeon Graphics one Nividia 10/10.

Thanks to you all for your efforts.

martin welsh

excollier

Postby excollier » 01 Feb 2015 11:10

How do I use the update manger to move to Wheezy? Nothing seems to change for me.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 01 Feb 2015 11:17

From a BE to Wheezy is only a very small step. I wouldn't really expect any upgrades to show up if you've always kept your system up to date. What does your sources.list look like now (inxi -r in a terminal should tell us)?
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

excollier

Postby excollier » 01 Feb 2015 11:21

I am still on stable, and yes I keep up to date every day

sk ian # inxi -r                                                                                                                                                 
Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list                                                                                                     
           deb http://business.solydxk.com/production solydxk main upstream import                                                                               
           deb http://business-debian.solydxk.com/production solydxk main contrib non-free                                                                       
           deb http://business-debian.solydxk.com/security solydxk main contrib non-free                                                                         
           Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-earth.list                                                                                 
           deb http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/deb/ stable main                                                                                                 
sk ian #                                                                                                                                                         

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 01 Feb 2015 11:29

From the Update Information frame in the Update Manager I get the impression that moving from a Business Edition to Wheezy is the default, so I would expect that after pressing Install the upgrade would take place. Have you tried that?
Frank

excollier

Postby excollier » 01 Feb 2015 11:38

I'll try that, I hadn't noticed the install upgrade button highlighted (late night last night). Thanks for "waking me up"
Slightly off topic, I downloaded the new iso but it won't boot for me, just a black screen followin the initial options screen

excollier

Postby excollier » 01 Feb 2015 13:06

Well.... I ran the update to wheezy and now it won't boot, all I get after the grub screen is a black screen! help!
Even in recovery mode it's the same.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 01 Feb 2015 13:42

That is nasty. Is the screen completely black or does it still have some text somewhere? I.e. could it be a terminal screen?

What kind of graphics does this machine have?
Frank

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 01 Feb 2015 13:56

Two BEX machines successfully updated from the update manager.

One hiccup and I think it both BEs.
The update icon which I have in the panel has acquired a wierd behaviour pattern. When left click selected it shows a small "Quick Update" panel, yes or no. Select yes or no and that is the last you see of it or the Update Manager.

If you right click on the old symbol it gives you the option of selecting an active update manager.

I think you still deserve 9.9/10.

martin welsh

excollier

Postby excollier » 01 Feb 2015 14:12

grizzler wrote:That is nasty. Is the screen completely black or does it still have some text somewhere? I.e. could it be a terminal screen?

What kind of graphics does this machine have?
No text, a completely black screen - the monitor goes into power saving mode and then out again, backlight lit, but no text, cursor or graphics of any kind.
I have Radeon 3000 on board graphics, not a card. All was fine before the update, obviously.
The new iso behaves in the same way. During boot, both have a jumpy blinking cursor and the screen flickers and then black.
I may have to go with another distro until this is fixed, but I would much rather stay with SolydK.
BTW, I am typing this from a, ahem, Windows 7 hard drive in the same machine (long story).....

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 01 Feb 2015 14:26

Weird. And a lot like what RichLobo described earlier in this same thread. Wish I had a solution... :(
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Feb 2015 14:34

@mhwelsh
That is intended :D
Left-clicking and hitting OK will update your system silently. The only thing that changes if there is something to update is that the system tray icon changes. The Update Manager now only opens when a new "official" update is available or when you right-click and choose "Update Manager".

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Feb 2015 14:42

@excollier
On the ISO you can get into the Advanced options menu and select "compatibility mode". This uses Vesa as graphics driver. Did you try that?

You can check and edit the selected command by hitting "Tab".

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 01 Feb 2015 14:50

@excollier
Alternatively, maybe 'nomodeset' on the GRUB command line could get you further.

Enter the GRUB editor by pressing e, go to the end of the line starting with 'linux', remove 'quiet' and 'splash' if they are there and instead enter nomodeset. Then press ctrl+x to boot.
Frank

Return to “News & Anouncements”