LXQT instead XFCE

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
greg84

LXQT instead XFCE

Postby greg84 » 05 Apr 2015 17:08

Hello.

I propose to replace XFCE by LXQT.
LXQT has the same libraries as the KDE so the production process will be easier and faster.

Zill

Re: LXQT instead XFCE

Postby Zill » 05 Apr 2015 20:08

greg84: As you haven't posted any queries here before I assume you must have been very happy with the performance of your SolydX system and the XFCE desktop environment.

Which specific SolydX feature(s) have you now had problems with that you believe will be rectified by changing the entire desktop environment and, by implication, the name of our distro?

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 06 Apr 2015 09:05

if you're not satisfied with xfce you can purge it and replace it with any desktop you want but solydxk will remain using xfce as the default desktop. the desktop choices doesn't affect the production part in any ways.

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 08 Apr 2015 20:14

Hey LXqt still has an X. It could still be called SolydX.

I don't see anything wrong with xfce and right now I still think it is a better choice than LXQt. But I do think the time will come when this should be considered. Since LXQT and KDE use a lot of the same underlying libraries and tools, it just makes sense for a distro to offer these two desktops. I think it would make maintenance and development a lot easier. I expect that in the future we will see distros offering these two desktops as the choice between full featured and light. If you look through old post, you will find that even ZeroZero thought this would be a good idea. But its simply not the right time for this move.

LXQT is not even at 1.0 yet and I don't see the 1.0 release being backported to Jessie. However, I expect LXqt to mature and develop quickly and I think this will need to be considered in 2-3 years when the next Stable release comes along.

Zill

Postby Zill » 08 Apr 2015 20:36

Fargo wrote:LXQT is not even at 1.0 yet and I don't see the 1.0 release being backported to Jessie. However, I expect LXqt to mature and develop quickly and I think this will need to be considered in 2-3 years when the next Stable release comes along.
There is nothing stopping the OP, or anyone else, starting a new distro based on LXQT plus as many other DEs as they like!

However, this is not a reason for SolydXK to pull the plug on a mature DE like XFCE that has many satisfied users. SolydXK is fine just the way it is. :-)

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 09 Apr 2015 15:07

yes...anyone may create solydL as community edition if they really love LXQt. however, X in solyd will remain as xfce.

greg84

Postby greg84 » 10 Apr 2015 09:09

Yes i am satisfied with SolydK. I Never use SolydX because I use only KDE.
Reason why I wrote this topic it is that many distributions has huge amount graphical environments.
Fragmentation has influence on quality of distro. Quality understanding as very small numbers of bugs in distro.
So better option would be total remove SolydX and leave only SolydK.
Maybe SolydXK could go into footprints Toyota Way that mean standarization i
simplification.

Zill

Postby Zill » 10 Apr 2015 09:55

greg84 wrote:Yes i am satisfied with SolydK. I Never use SolydX because I use only KDE.
Reason why I wrote this topic it is that many distributions has huge amount graphical environments.
So what? If you do not use SolydX then what qualifies you to destroy it for those of us who do use it as our primary OS?
greg84 wrote:Fragmentation has influence on quality of distro. Quality understanding as very small numbers of bugs in distro.
What you are proposing would create further fragmentation! As regards bugs, I think you will find that KDE is far more buggy than XFCE. Users who want a rock-solid distro with minimum bugs would find it hard to improve on SolydX.
greg84 wrote:So better option would be total remove SolydX and leave only SolydK.
This statement is not consistent with your original proposal to replace XFCE by LXQT.
greg84 wrote:Maybe SolydXK could go into footprints Toyota Way that mean standarization
You mean like Microsoft and Apple do? Sheesh!

This is GNU/Linux and so we are all free to do what we wish with our systems. If you choose to run KDE, LXQT or any other distro/DE then feel free to do so. Similarly, create your own distro if you like. Just don't try to impose your personal preferences on the rest of us who actually use the distro you are trying to change!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 10 Apr 2015 12:17

Some Linux topics often seem to provoke strong responses. The desktop engine is one of them and more recently the systemd project suffered from negative responses. Personally, I never understood that passion. The Linux landscape is very diverse. It invites you to look around and enjoy what you find. That said, I need to emphasize that there is no good or bad, ugly or beautiful, but only one better suited to one's personal needs and tastes and that is a lot more than Microsoft or Apple can offer. As for SolydXK, SolydX has been downloaded far more often than SolydK. Both are stable and beautiful in their own right. I cannot find any good argument to abandon one project for another. So, as long as Xfce and KDE are actively developed and maintained they will be the default DEs for SolydXK. I invite everybody who'd like to prove me wrong to install solydxk-constructor from the repository and create a community edition with his or her favorite DE.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

pipeboyjam

Postby pipeboyjam » 11 Jun 2015 20:13

No offence but I feel your outlook specifically caters to only hardcore linux users those with the skills to install their own desktop environment on their own desktop. If you have any desire for Solydxk to become popular just as a linux OS, let alone as a general OS then this must absolutely change.

Ones desktop environment isn't about variety it's about consistency, this is why Windows and macosx are so popular for the most part, their guis have remained consistent. When they weren't consistent such as in windows 8, there was a backlash and adoption of the new os was limited even with a new 8.1 version which attempted to remedy the gui and make it more familiar to windows 7 users.

The gui is where the average user is 99.99 percent of the time. A major reason for Linux absolute failure as a desktop os is lack of gui consistency and stability, the user shouldn't need to enter the terminal ever. Users want to get things done, not manage their gui environment.

Supporting two desktop environments was a mistake, you don't have the manpower. And more importantly linux is so unpopular that as long as the gui isn't wildly different from windows (where the average user is coming from), I don't think it matters. All linux guis are ugly, difficult to use, incomplete, buggy and unstable. Like I said, one of the reasons why linux is such a failure as a desktop os. But xfce at least is stable and not buggy, stability being one of the main reasons why linux is used at all. (malware/viruses make windows unstable, otherwise it is a rock solid stable os, more so than ubuntu for sure)

Zill

Postby Zill » 11 Jun 2015 22:13

pipeboyjam: While I can make some allowances for the fact that you are a "newbie" on these forums, it would have been helpful if you had taken Schoelje's advice in this post and actually introduced yourself in the "Introduce yourself" section of the forums.

It seems that you really have little idea about how Linux and FOSS (free and open-source software) actually works. For a start, unlike commercial software, such as that produced by Microsoft and Apple, there is no requirement for "market share" as there is, in many cases, little financial profit to be made out of it! The vast majority of FOSS developers produce the great systems we have today simply because they, personally, want to use the best software possible. They then, very generously, release their software under licenses such as the GPL so that many other users can also freely use this software.

So, before you start telling us why "Windows and macosx are so popular", you need to appreciate that most Linux users simply do not care about this as they already have a far better system!

You may well consider that "All linux guis are ugly, difficult to use, incomplete, buggy and unstable" but the great thing is that you do not need to use Linux at all. Just please appreciate that those of us who do choose to run GNU/Linux are quite happy the way things are. :-)

I suggest you read "Linux is Not Windows" as it explains things far better than I can.

wildman

Postby wildman » 12 Jun 2015 16:06

pipeboyjam: You would be better served to go back to the advocacy newsgroup that you came from. Your FUD will not work here.
Wildman
May the Source be with you.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 12 Jun 2015 17:31

I'd say windows and mac just 'looks' popular. :lol:

android, tizen, mer, meego, firefox OS, sailfish OS...in reality linux is so good that almost everything you found in modern world is linux or something based on open source project. apple? apple's OS is something run on top of darwin kernel which actually a BSD system, another open source system, a close sibling of linux which both derived from UNIX. and yes, apple is highly active contributor of open source community. if you need reason to use linux, here're some of them:

1. it's ultimately faster than windows. none of supercomputer is using windows and so many of them using linux for this obvious reason.
2. better support. while windows is only backed by microsoft, linux is backed by almost everyone. and yes, linux also backed by microsoft. microsoft was top 10 contributor for linux.
3. hard rock stability. server and almost everything which need 'stability' is using linux.
4. beautiful UI.
5. ultimate degree of customization.
6. no virus, no hacks, no malwares...it's a secure system which hard to breach.
7. obviously it's free.

Axel

Postby Axel » 12 Jun 2015 20:17

pipeboyjam wrote: Image
Please, don't feed the trolls ... Image

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”