Breakages and News tracking Debian Testing

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
palimmo

Re: Breakages and News tracking Debian Testing

Postby palimmo » 28 Apr 2015 14:32

grizzler wrote:No, Testing doesn't have a backports.

Also, Testing's security repo hasn't had anything in it as far back as (at least) September 2005 (judging by the Dutch mirror's time stamp), so you might as well leave that out too. However, it won't cause an error, so keeping it in won't hurt.

If you want to be a 'true' Enthusiast's Edition user, you could install the solydkee-info package (solydxee-info for SolydX users). ;)
solydkee-info ?
Now I'm really curious! What is this?

And, reading once more The new SolydXK – Q+A is this extract still actual?
8 Q. Will the “Enthusiast’s Edition” use SolydXK repositories or will they be moved to the Debian Testing repositories?
A. A little bit of both! The “Enthusiast’s Edition” will use our own repository for the SolydXK specific packages and the Debian testing repository that will regularly bring new features.
With "our own repository for the SolydXK specific packages" do we mean the same repository for the HE here?
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 28 Apr 2015 14:56

palimmo wrote:solydkee-info ?
Now I'm really curious! What is this?
An info package, like the solydk-info and solydx-info packages for the main edition, but with some variables set to different values, valid for the EE.
And, reading once more The new SolydXK – Q+A is this extract still actual?
8 Q. Will the “Enthusiast’s Edition” use SolydXK repositories or will they be moved to the Debian Testing repositories?
A. A little bit of both! The “Enthusiast’s Edition” will use our own repository for the SolydXK specific packages and the Debian testing repository that will regularly bring new features.
Sort of. Just keep in mind the EE is not an officially supported edition anymore, but has to be carried by the community. That said, I'm currently working on some ISOs...
With "our own repository for the SolydXK specific packages" do we mean the same repository for the HE here?
The HE ceased to exist in January, so I'm not sure what you mean here. The repository for SolydXK specific packages is http://repository.solydxk.nl/. This has Firefox, Thunderbird and Flash and a number of packages with solyd in the name (solydxk-system, solydk-system-adjustments, solydk-info, solydxk-constructor, solydxk-usb-creator, etc.). Of course these aren't created for the EE specifically (except for solydkee-info and solydxee-info).
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

belze

Postby belze » 28 Apr 2015 15:32

grizzler wrote: If you want to be a 'true' Enthusiast's Edition user, you could install the solydkee-info package (solydxee-info for SolydX users). ;)
done ty!
-------

Deleted User 580

Postby Deleted User 580 » 29 Apr 2015 08:07

deleted

belze

Postby belze » 29 Apr 2015 09:28

Just some examples of bugs reported:

#775990: Akonadi reports deadlocks. -> User reported bug using sqlite. I am sure a lot of user still do it and i can understand the reason why (performance, performance and performance) but i remeber clearly sqlite was deprecated by akonadi years ago.

#781896 : Baloo needs to depend on libqt4-sql-sqlite to start indexing.
Dependecy added - done.

I did not investigate further. Maybe you can find much more severe and grave bugs, but I know there is no software bugs free out there, ever never an OS will be bugless.
That said, you can do what you want with your machines, of course! have a nice day :mrgreen:
-------

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 29 Apr 2015 11:23

This mornings update for me:

Code: Select all

The following packages will be upgraded:
  clamtk solydx-info wpasupplicant
3 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Snap

Postby Snap » 30 Apr 2015 08:50

BTW, I'm staying on Jessie for the next two years, running testing has taken me too much time...
Yep, that's the annoying part of it. Rolling takes time.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 30 Apr 2015 09:30

Yeah, lots. ;)

Two whole packages yesterday and three the day before. None today (so far). :lol:

I'm not counting the packages from repository.solydxk.nl, of course.

After Monday's backlog (75 packages), Testing has been suspiciously quiet...
Frank

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 30 Apr 2015 18:34

reporting in...
gparted is broken due to udisks2. more details here https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=782838 using udisks2 from sid will fix the issue.

Snap

Postby Snap » 01 May 2015 06:28

After Monday's backlog (75 packages), Testing has been suspiciously quiet...
Not so in Sid but not a flood either. They'll hit Testing at some point.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 01 May 2015 11:33

My updates this morning.
All went smoothly

The following packages will be upgraded:
  clamav clamav-base clamav-freshclam ddm debian-plymouth-manager digikam digikam-private-libs kipi-plugins libclamav6
  libegl1-mesa libegl1-mesa-drivers libgbm1 libgl1-mesa-dev libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx
  libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libglapi-mesa libglapi-mesa:i386 libgles1-mesa libgles2-mesa libwayland-egl1-mesa libxatracker2
  lightdm-manager mesa-common-dev solydxk-conky updatemanager
27 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 06 May 2015 15:09

Is this a big issue:

Parsing Found/Fixed information... Done
serious bugs of openssl (1.0.1k-3 → 1.0.2a-1) <Outstanding>
 b1 - #770605 - openssl: Removes symbol without SONAME bump
   Merged with: 768476 768522 769023 770278 771169 771993 781094 781929
Summary:
 openssl(1 bug)
Are you sure you want to install/upgrade the above packages? [Y/n/?/...] 
Click yes or no?
Looking for advice.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 06 May 2015 16:08

These pages/messages seem to indicate the actual problem was fixed:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... 768476#119
https://tracker.debian.org/news/681022

However, a misunderstanding 'somewhere' stopped that bug report from being closed.

That's my interpretation of this anyway. I sometimes find these reports less than perfectly clear, but that's just me. :?

I picked one of the executables (curl) that depend on this package and tried it. No problems.
Frank

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 15 May 2015 06:47

Xfce 4.12 has arrived in Testing. This is going to be interesting...
Frank

wayne

Postby wayne » 15 May 2015 08:34

I dist-upgrade sometime ago on sid partition after xorg transition is over.
at the time xfce4.12 came in, not much of trouble, however xfce4-goodies was not be able to installed due to dependency issues, hence I lost most of the 'applets'.

today I dist-upgrade again on sid partition, xfce4-goodies is now OK ( no dependency issues), I got back all the applets working such as sensors, cpu freq monitor, disk performance monitor etc.

so, i guess for testing it is about 10 day later to get the xfce4-goodies flowing through the standard process.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 15 May 2015 09:21

grizzler wrote:This is going to be interesting...
Meh.

Remarkably uneventful upgrade. Thunar is still as useless as it's ever been (no chance of me switching from Nemo) and everything else just looks and feels the same. I'll have to read up on the changes to find out what's different.

Don't know what I was expecting, really... :?
Frank

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 15 May 2015 15:58

I noticed:
- new intelligent panel hide mode
- 2x2 tiling mode
- new setting window
- new alt-tab functionality
- power manager integrate light locker

I think xfce updates will always boring. when other desktop got updated it means a massive changes on our system UI. however, due to the modularity design, when they said xfce updates it means only the dekstop interface. thunar and the other stuff is developed separately from the desktop. the desktop might not changed for years but our system is constantly changing.

Chris M

Postby Chris M » 16 May 2015 12:55

grizzler wrote:Thunar is still as useless as it's ever been (no chance of me switching from Nemo) and everything else just looks and feels the same. I'll have to read up on the changes to find out what's different.
Frank, there's no chance (I don't think) of me moving away from Thunar. I'm trying to maintain as pure and as lite of a Debian XFCE as possible. With that said, how is Nemo better? There are a number of custom Thunar actions you can apply (my favorite is Opening a root Thunar).

4.12 seems a bit more modern in that the theming is more unified (individual themes don't seem to override XFCE), and under Settings, Appearance, Icons, I'm getting warnings that elementary Xfce icons have "no cache file ... You can create this by running gtk-update-icon-cache /usr/share/icons/elementary-xfce-darker/ in a terminal emulator". That's nice.

XFCE 4.12 adds 20mb of memory usage at start up.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 16 May 2015 13:39

Chris M wrote:I'm trying to maintain as pure and as lite of a Debian XFCE as possible.
That's how I start. But then I find something wrong with this, something missing from that, and before long, my system is a hybrid... :lol:
With that said, how is Nemo better?
1. It allows directories to open a tree like structure in the main (right hand side) view.
2. It can show a count of the number if items in a directory instead of a rather useless number of bytes.
3. You can drag selected items to other directories without having to click the selection again.
4. You have a lot more control over what's visible in the toolbar at the top.
5. Can't remember the rest off hand... ;)
...(my favorite is Opening a root Thunar).
Nemo has that too (by default), but using it causes it to grab control of the desktop background, which blocks the use of the standard right click desktop menu (and possibly desktop shortcuts, but I don't use those...). So I created a Nemo Action to work around that (and several others for other functions, like checksum calculation [MD5 and the like]).
4.12 seems a bit more modern in that the theming is more unified (individual themes don't seem to override XFCE), and under Settings, Appearance, Icons, I'm getting warnings that elementary Xfce icons have "no cache file ... You can create this by running gtk-update-icon-cache /usr/share/icons/elementary-xfce-darker/ in a terminal emulator". That's nice.
In the meantime, I've reread ToZ's "What's New in Xfce" thread and picked up some useful tips. I don't really find the general appearance any different (which could be considered a good thing, certainly after the GNOME Shell mess of a couple of years ago), but judging by that thread, a lot has been going on in the background.
XFCE 4.12 adds 20mb of memory usage at start up.
I sort of stopped looking at memory usage when I bought this machine in November 2013. I haven't been able to fill up 8GB yet...
Frank

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 22 May 2015 03:51

there's a serious bug on kernel 4.0 series which causing massive data lost. if you have the old kernel it might better to use them instead of the 4.0 series. https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=785672

Return to “Testing Zone”