New releases!

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

New releases!

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 08 Jun 2015 09:22

Hi all,

It is time for a new release!

The new ISOs are based on Debian's first "Jessie" 8.1 point release. Several bugs have been patched since then and this release promise to be absolutely rock solid!

You can download the SolydX and SolydK ISOs from our main site's download section: http://solydxk.nl

Community Editions
Frank has built the 32-bit community editions. These community editions are built and supported by the community. You can download these ISOs from the "Community editions" page: http://solydxk.nl/downloads/community-editions/

From the same page you can also download a SolydX edition for the Raspberry PI2. I was looking for a cheap system for my son to learn Linux and some programming but perhaps there are people out there that could use it. You can find installation instructions on the download page.

We will have to wait a bit longer for the Enthusiast's Editions. The currently available kernel in Debian testing is unbootable in a live environment. So, those will follow later when that bug has been patched upstream. If you cannot wait, you can still download and install the testing ISOs which you can download here: http://downloads.solydxk.nl/ce/testing/. Do not forget to run an update after installing that ISO.

I want to thank everybody involved for your work to make these community editions possible!

Forum changes
The regular forum visitors already noticed some changes in the forum's structure. Jocelyn has taken up the task to simplify the forums, leaving just a few sections where you can post in your own language.

The current SolydXK site themes do not function well on mobile devices. So, I am slowly changing the SolydXK sites to a responsive theme. Starting with our forums. New users will see the new responsive theme by default. Current users can switch to the new theme manually or keep on using the old theme. You can switch between themes when you open your "User Control Panel", click on the "Board preferences" tab and select the theme of your choice in the "My board style" drop down box.

I hope you are going to enjoy these new releases and see you soon on the forums!

Kind regards,

Arjen Balfoort (Schoelje)
Founder SolydXK

Published here: http://solydxk.nl/new-releases/

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Deleted User 2763

Re: New releases!

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 08 Jun 2015 17:25

Looks really nice.
I just grabbed an iso.
-Hinto

peterbilt

Postby peterbilt » 09 Jun 2015 07:04

Sorry, wrong post.

funnynickname

Postby funnynickname » 09 Jun 2015 11:50

Updating decentral eD2k/Kad mirrors now. :)
Thanks for your work, everyone.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 09 Jun 2015 13:17

Schoelje wrote:We will have to wait a bit longer for the Enthusiast's Editions. The currently available kernel in Debian testing is unbootable in a live environment. So, those will follow later when that bug has been patched upstream.
As mentioned here, this issue is caused by the live-boot package. Getting rid of the problem is relatively simple: just downgrade live-boot and live-boot-initramfs-tools to 5.0~a3-1 (those packages are removed during installation anyway) and make sure they stay at that version during the subsequent daily upgrades of the ISO build structures, until that is no longer necessary. Doing that on four structures can be a bit of work. Unless you script it...

The June 2015 EE ISOs are currently being uploaded. This takes about 20 minutes per ISO and the server only looks at what's been uploaded at the top of the hour, so they probably won't appear here until just after 17:00 CEST (15:00 UTC).
[Scratch that. I just noticed the upload speed is fluctuating like mad, dropping from the usual 12Mb/s to as low as 500kb/s at times. If that doesn't improve, there's no telling when the job is finished. Oh well...]

I've checked each of the ISOs briefly in a VM but installed only 2 of them, so they have not been tested very thoroughly. I'll leave that to the rest of 'the community'... ;)

They're up to date as far as Debian Testing is concerned, but I just missed today's update of the flash plugin.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 09 Jun 2015 13:35

Do you want me to upload those packages to our repository?

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 09 Jun 2015 13:50

The live-boot/live-boot-initramfs-tools packages? I'm not sure that's useful. I've currently got them on my machine, in a local repository which is pinned at 800 and temporarily linked into the build structures' sources lists whenever I upgrade. So that's taken care of.
I don't think anyone who isn't building Testing based ISOs needs them. Besides, I'd still have to set up some kind of pinning arrangement for the solydxk repository or they would be overruled by the 5.0~a4-1 (or later) versions in Debian's repo.

P.S. Upload speed appears to be back to normal. Might make 17:00 after all...
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 09 Jun 2015 14:48

The server is rather busy...

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 09 Jun 2015 15:06

Made it. :lol:
Frank

ilu

Maybe bigger fonts on the News homepage?

Postby ilu » 09 Jun 2015 15:18

I just had a look at the news homepage and I think that the news are really hard to read on 1920x1220 (or whatever the numbers are on todays 24 inch monitors). Must be even worse if you only have 20" with the same resolution. The welcome message is fine though. Is it only due to my age? (We are the Linux Senior Citizen Club here, aren't we? :P )

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 09 Jun 2015 18:10

Just installed it.
It (the installer) hiccuped on my btrfs partitions (put them in the wrong place in fstab).
Also, (at least) the firefox widgets are chiseled instead of following the theme.
-H

kbd

Postby kbd » 10 Jun 2015 01:38

Just downloaded and installed SolydX. It only took 6 minutes to direct download. It has been awhile since I tried SolydX and it is amazing. Love the icons and theme. Looks very polished and no glitches installing it. Good job!

wayne

Postby wayne » 10 Jun 2015 04:50

I have extremely slow connection

9 hour to download

Not sure if server issues or too many downloads

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 10 Jun 2015 05:06

Just direct downloaded from the main server in less than 20 minutes.
I'm afraid it's not our server.

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 10 Jun 2015 09:10

Found a minor issue with the live installer: it does not find the user's geo-location.
It is fixed in the new live-installer but current ISOs will still install. Only the user's current language and location is not pre-selected.

[warning: technical babble]
I've updated the SolydXK constructor to refresh the geo-database. Unfortunately, that was not the cause of the above problem.

I also tried to set permissions in the server's .htaccess file but to no avail: the code still gets a "403 Forbidden" while a browser gets the user's IP address from this url: http://solydxk.nl/ip.php
This is a rather recent change in behavior and I suspect that my ISP has changed Apache permissions.

Hence the change in the live installer.

@grizzler
I downloaded and installed all EE versions and all worked fine.

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 10 Jun 2015 09:47

Schoelje wrote:Found a minor issue with the live installer: it does not find the user's geo-location.
Yes, I had noticed that and meant to ask you about it. Slipped my mind, though...
I also tried to set permissions in the server's .htaccess file but to no avail: the code still gets a "403 Forbidden" while a browser gets the user's IP address from this url: http://solydxk.nl/ip.php
This is a rather recent change in behavior and I suspect that my ISP has changed Apache permissions.
I assume they're blocking 'tools' by means of the User-Agent header. A simple wget also gets the 403. It's not a very smart block, though. If I switch off wget's User-Agent string by adding --user-agent="" I get the required info.
@grizzler
I downloaded and installed all EE versions and all worked fine.
Thanks for testing.
Frank

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 10 Jun 2015 10:09

Come to think of it, it's unlikely a provider would block things this way. I don't think their customers would appreciate it. Are you sure there isn't someting in the ip.php file's code that could account for this?
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 10 Jun 2015 10:21

that file has been there for the past two years...unchanged. It might be a recent update of wordpress. That's why I tried to change the htaccess file.

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 10 Jun 2015 17:04

I've spent hours on cleaning the htaccess file, removing any duplicate lines, but that didn't change anything.
Then I tried to understand each and every line in it (over 500). I removed sections to see if I have to look in there and once I found out in which part the bad line was I saw this line:

Code: Select all

RewriteRule ^.* - [F,L]
I commented that line and now the live installer doesn't get a "403 Forbidden" and seems to work just fine.

SolydXK needs you!

BostonPeng

Postby BostonPeng » 10 Jun 2015 17:06

I picked the right day to come back to SolydK. I got my new laptop on Sunday so when it was time to snag a new ISO to install I got the ISO that was so new the shrinkwrap was still warm. It's so nice to be back on Linux and I love how things are running. You guys (and gals?) have been working hard over the last year and a half and it shows. Thankee!
J.M. Hardin

System:
ASUS X555LA notebook

Return to “News & Anouncements”