I keep losing my Numbers Lock

Questions specific to the KDE DE go here
BostonPeng

I keep losing my Numbers Lock

Postby BostonPeng » 19 Aug 2016 22:37

Since I reinstalled SolydK some time back (not sure how long) I keep trying to type with the numeric keypad only to discover I'm using the cursor movement keys, not the number keys. The problem is that I always have the Numbers Lock on, and when I want to move the cursor I'll either use the mouse or the dedicated movement keys. Maybe 5% of the time it's because I've tried to type a "7" and instead hit the NumLock key by mistake (it's directly above the "7" key) but I've noticed times where I've closed the lid of my laptop when I went to bed and the NumLock has been on, but when I got up in the am and went to type numbers the lock was disabled. Just now I was trying to type in a date as part of a filename when saving a web page as a PDF in Chrome and discovered the NumLock was off again. Instead of typing the date I ended up selecting an existing file, making me have to either exit and try to save the file again or retyping the entire filename, including the file extension.

I'm running SolydK with all current updates installed on an ASUS X55L laptop. If you need more info on my system just let me know what you need.
J.M. Hardin

System:
ASUS X555LA notebook

MAYBL8

Re: I keep losing my Numbers Lock

Postby MAYBL8 » 20 Aug 2016 01:01

What do you have under system settings > input devices > There is a setting for Numlock on when KDE starts up?

BostonPeng

Postby BostonPeng » 20 Aug 2016 01:20

NumLock is set to "Turn On." I've had some issues in the past that had "Leave Unchanged" actually turn the NumLock off.
J.M. Hardin

System:
ASUS X555LA notebook

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 20 Aug 2016 03:13

Well I'm not sure what leave unchanged does but another place to look is in the computers bios settings.
Some computers have a num lock switch in there.
You might also try another keyboard. Could be an actual keyboard problem.
If none of that works I will have to research other possibilities unless someone else here has another idea.

You shouldn't have to edit files but I found this link you could try:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=295935

BostonPeng

Postby BostonPeng » 20 Aug 2016 03:29

I have it enabled in both the BIOS and in KDE so I don't think that should be making my system disable NumLock at odd times. Hopefully someone else will have something else to try. But thanks for the assist.
J.M. Hardin

System:
ASUS X555LA notebook

Return to “KDE specific (SolydK)”