Backup solution

Questions about software.
ilu

Backup solution

Postby ilu » 22 Dec 2016 17:24

Since a friend asked me: What would you recommend for backup on an external harddrive, connected via USB, preferably easy to handle for someone coming from MSWin?
System is SolydX.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Backup solution

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 22 Dec 2016 18:43

Luckybackup is installed by default. It has a simple GUI, but should be sufficient for user data backups.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Zill

Postby Zill » 22 Dec 2016 20:27

+1 for luckyBackup!

I use it for automatic scheduled daily and weekly backups across my LAN and it has never let me down. I also use it for "on-demand" backups, such as just before an OS dist-upgrade.

luckyBackup is very configurable while still being easy to use. It can also create "snapshots" so it is possible to restore data from earlier backups.

Although the website now advises "Unfortunately the development of luckybackup is almost frozen", I wouldn't worry about this as it uses standard Linux tools, such as rsync. It is a great example of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 22 Dec 2016 20:43

For many years I use Grsync, a graphical frontend to rsync.
It might be a bit difficult to setup, choosing which parameters to select and which not, but once that is done it is click and done.
Easy-Peasy.

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 22 Dec 2016 21:02

SolydForEver wrote:For many years I use Grsync, a graphical frontend to rsync.
It might be a bit difficult to setup, choosing which parameters to select and which not, but once that is done it is click and done.
Easy-Peasy.
That is basically what Lucky Backup is, a GUI for rsync (ok there are a couple of other functions as well). In fact one of the useful tools of Lucky Backup is that once you gave configured your backup you can get the rsync command which you can run from the cli or add to some form of bash script if you want.

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 23 Dec 2016 19:59

xendistar wrote:
SolydForEver wrote:For many years I use Grsync, a graphical frontend to rsync.
Easy-Peasy.
That is basically what Lucky Backup is, a GUI for rsync (ok there are a couple of other functions as well). In fact one of the useful tools of Lucky Backup is that once you gave configured your backup you can get the rsync command which you can run from the cli or add to some form of bash script if you want.
So, also in that respect it is the same as Grsync with which you can do the same.
But tell me, what is the output of Lucky Backup look like? I mean is it the same folder structure you have on your disks, or is it all combined in a compressed file/folder? What is so great about Grsync is that the outputs resembles the input 1:1 so it is very easy to restore a single file/folder just by getting it with your file-manager.

Zill

Postby Zill » 23 Dec 2016 20:46

luckyBackup creates exactly the same file structure in the backup location as the source location, although you can, of course, select specific directories you wish to backup (such as /etc/ and /home/) so you don't need to backup the entire file tree. You can also include and/or exclude specific file types, such as temporary files.

Backups are not compressed in any way and so each individual directory can be examined and the latest individual files copied elsewhere if desired. However, if the luckyBackup restore option is used, it is also possible to restore earlier backup "snapshots" to their original location if this is required.

Grsync is a good application but, IMHO, luckyBackup has all the functionality of Grsync with a few more bells and whistles added. These include multiple task profiles, the ability to synchronise files across different machines, scheduling automatic backups with cron, verifying backup paths are functional before running a backup and the ability to send an email report of success (or failure!) after the backup run.

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 23 Dec 2016 21:25

Thanks Zill, am reading the manual right now. Looks great, will try it out over the weekend.
Merry Christmas.

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 30 Dec 2016 08:37

Have setup LuckyBackup and I must say it is a nice program. On one side it does resemble Grsync very much, but I found something which is nice to have.
It seems I can create several tasks within 1 profile, something Grsync (as far as I know) can not do.
This means in one go I can backup my home folder, which is used only by the system, my Data partition (with all the user folders you normally would find in the home folder) and my Music partition.
So, when starting this profile all my individual backups are made, it is simply click-and-go. Upon returning all is done.
Great.

Thank you for pointing this out to me.

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 30 Dec 2016 09:37

Nope, does not work for me. Yes, I know I am special, I always do things differently . With Grsync this was okay, it just works, in Luckybackup I get this:

Code: Select all

Last execution time: not available
Directory /home/jan/Backup/
and/or /Data/Shares/NAS-WD/PC-Jan_Home/
does not exist.
This task will be skipped
The directory "/home/jan/Backup/" does not exist, I know that. It's a directory which is created by a script which I want to be executed before the actual backup takes place. I don't want to have this folder present all the time. It will be removed by another script after the backup has been done.
Obviously Luckybackup performs a check and does not find the source folder to backup, it therefore decides to skip the task. A bit blunt if you ask.
me.
I also don't see a change in rsync code (the actual code which is being used to do the backup) with or without the script I want to run before doing the backup. I wonder if it will be executed.

What I have done for years already is this:
My home-pre script creates a folder Backup in my home folder
All items which I want to backup are either moved or copied into that folder, depending on if I need them during the backup or not.
I backup the contents of folder Backup to my NAS
My home-after script moves all moved items back in place, removes the copied items form the Backup folder and removes the folder itself.
Case closed.
Moving items on the same partition hardly takes any time at all (TOC of the partition is altered, that's all) and copying a few small text files also doesn't consume any time, the operation is done very fast. I now have full control over what I backup and what not. Yes, i know, I can work with include and exclude but that is what I do, isn't it, although in a different way. I never figured out how to do it the rsync-way.

This probably means I will keep using Grsync, which has served me for years without any problem, unless somebody here knows a way how to bypass the Luckybackup check so my task is NOT skipped.

Zill

Postby Zill » 30 Dec 2016 12:50

SolydForEver: I don't really understand why you are moving files around before and after running luckyBackup.

One way of backing up files is to simply copy all the files to the backup location.

However, the advantage of using rsync is that only the changes are copied to the backup location. This means that, after the initial backup run when all the files are copied, subsequent runs are far quicker as less data is transferred.

As luckyBackup is based on rsync, this operates in the same way and so the program expects all the original paths and data from the first run to be present. If this is not the case then the program has to copy all the data again on every run, which is very slow.

If you wish to use luckyBackup then I suggest you should read-up on the include/exclude options and then run the program as designed, without any additional scripts that break functionality.

For example, my "Exclude" screenshots for my home/user task are as follows:
LB1.png
LB1.png (41.49 KiB) Viewed 2254 times
LB2.png
LB2.png (53.18 KiB) Viewed 2254 times

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 21 Jan 2017 00:32

I always had problems using "back up software " could never find the files I was looking for .So I did it Back ups using a System that allowed me to find and any file ,
Now I don't know if this a good way of doing Back Ups of my system But seems to work (for me anyway ) , I’ve got a small ssd drive for the SolydK OS and home folder , downloads is about all i got on that , then 2 x 1 Tb portables one for the music only and the other 1Tb portable for documents and research Photos , I do graphic arts and acrylic paintings .
All I do for Back ups is get the two folders for both portables in the one window then click on them both and copy both into a 5Tb Portable on a random regular timetable . ' Oh come I least I do them ' I said to the Techie
Now I don't Know if that's a bad way of doing Back Ups or not but it seems works and when i need to find a file that I need , I find it using Catfish , when I used the apps that do do back ups I could never find the files I wanted All I got was a bunch of gibberish rubbish all in some sort of code , I don't do code for this or for that ( too strange ) just give it to me in ordinary plain simple English that is not too much to want , is it ?

behrami

Postby behrami » 25 Jan 2017 08:49

I had the same problem was you. However recently started doing what you're doing and I haven't had those problems. I will look at at again to see if I find something that may help you.

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 27 Jan 2017 23:32

Hello Behrami
I Know what you're saying about having the same problems concerning backup of files ,however I found that as I am getting Files that are bigger the job of copy/paste was taking way far too looong , If you look at what Zill is saying about Lucky backup and rsync , I can tell you that is better than copy/paste ,
1. Read the manual only caution is take your time setting it up also do not check the delete box in options no need for that it's all explained in the manual
2. True what Zill says first time is slow about the same as copy/paste thereafter it's only a few minutes on the schedule plan that you set up , I have mine for midday and midnight
3 . when you go look at the files in Luck backup it is the same as your own files or copy/paste
Lucky Backup is very good because you don't have to remember a thing once it set up , and if you make a mistake in the set up , it told me that having 2 portables feeding into 1 folder will cause a conflict during backup so I put each portable backup inside its own folder inside the backup folder and no more conflict , you also can tell if something is wrong the schedule wont start .
I hope that this helps you Behrami , read the manual and take your time

All man-made machines will have problems .

Return to “Software”