[pulseaudio-equalizer] not in the repos ?

Questions about software.
falke

[pulseaudio-equalizer] not in the repos ?

Postby falke » 03 Feb 2017 18:59

I'm looking for an equalizer under linux, but pa-equalizer is not in the repos...

what other equalizer should I use ?

kurotsugi

Re: [pulseaudio-equalizer] not in the repos ?

Postby kurotsugi » 06 Feb 2017 05:58

pa-equalizer have been deprecated long time ago for an alternative you can use ladspa modules on pulseaudio. the good news is that ladspa provide richer effect than just an equalizer. you can add stereo enhancer, equalizer, reverb, and lot more. I've read a tutorial about it here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6053

you can directly jump into the second part.

falke

Postby falke » 11 Feb 2017 16:02

Hello,

Thank you for the link, but this solution is far too complicated given my knowledge of audio:
Apparently pulseaudio and jack are a priori incompatible with each other. Running them together requires complicated bypasses.
On the other hand I am quite incapable of parameter jack to make it work all that.

Is there an equalizer that works directly with pulseaudio?

Nb: meanwhile broke pulseaudio

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 13 Feb 2017 00:48

unfortunately, no. there was alsa equalizer but that require more works than using ladspa inside pulseaudio. pulseaudio works with jack but you need to make sure you've loaded pulse's jack module. after that you can simply change the audio route of your apps to jack plugin. keep on mind that only one program could access the default analog output. that's why pulse seems dead when you activate jack. what you need to do is load jack into pulse.

falke

Postby falke » 13 Feb 2017 17:28

you mean that way ?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pu ... dio_server

pulseaudio through jack ?

the pb is I would need
jackdbus (JACK2 compiled with D-Bus support)

and second to me jack2 is not in the repos but jack1

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 14 Feb 2017 06:57

yes. I'm using something similar with this method
The new way

The basic idea is that killing PulseAudio is a bad idea because it may crash any apps using PulseAudio and disrupt any audio playing.

The flow of how this setup works:

PulseAudio releases the sound card
JACK grabs sound card and starts up
script redirects PulseAudio to JACK
manually send PulseAudio apps to JACK output (pavucontrol may come in helpful for this)
use JACK programs etc
via script, stop redirecting PulseAudio to JACK
stop JACK and release sound card
PulseAudio grabs sound card and reroutes audio to it directly
though, I'm using qjackctl to make things easier (no script or conf modification required. it work out of the box). I'll need to change the audio link anyway so qjackctl is the only one option for me. what I need to do was:
1. add "pactl load-module module-jack-sink" and "pactl load-module module jack-source" into qjackctl connect command (and the unload commands on the disconnect parts respectively.
2. start qjackctl. start jack.
3. start my jack plugin. I'm using calf-plugins since it provide gui and easier to setup. calf also have equalizer so it might works for you too.
4. create the audio route. this is important if you're using multiple effect. if you're using one effect, you only make sure that all the sound route are connected. (ie : audio source > effect > audio out )
5. save the qjacktl session.
6. enjoy the music.

next time, I only need to hit qjackctl, restore the session, and recheck the audio route.

falke

Postby falke » 14 Feb 2017 14:21

And what do you think about this simple solution

only using alsa + jack

and get rid of pulseaudio. I Would get rid of any conflict ? (in my opinion)

alsa is the only necessary layer ...

so it would be alsaplayer + jack , not ?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/JA ... ection_Kit

ps : i need also help to configure jack correctly, plz

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 16 Feb 2017 00:30

pulse was made to make stuff easier. no script or file editing required. that means you can use alsa+jack without pulse. though, it's not an easy feat to do that. pulse can (and probably should) removed if you need lossless low latency system and/or need a professional grade audio setup.

keep on mind that alsa is the driver and jack is just a layer above it. jack+alsa give you nothing (similar with pulse+alsa do nothing). you'll need to load the plugins into jack to get desired effect. I don't know which plugin will work on jack. I mainly use ladspa based plugins. though, I know that calf-plugins is compatible with jack. in short, assuming you've got rid pulse, what you need is:
1. configure jack and alsa so that they work together
2. activate jack and load the plugin
3. configure the audio line.

configuring jack is relatively easy. qjackctl will help you to do that. however, configuring alsa to work directly with jack isn't easy and I'm afraid I can't guide you to do that.

falke

Postby falke » 17 Feb 2017 21:22

Hi Kurotsugi ,

by re-rereading your explanations, I have suceeding in making calf-plugins to work together with pulseaudio and jack.

It's amazing.

I have also tried le ladspa-plugin (bs2b) with pulse alone.

On this point your explanation sowed a little confusion in my mind :

ladspa plugins are meant to be used without jack , there are NOT jack-plugin neither jack compatible plugins, is that right ? Or would it be possible to make the following route

ladspa-plugin (for example ) --> other jack pluging (for exple an EQ) --> system playback (in order to combine effect)

N.B between jack plugins I know yet how to do that..

thank you for further informations

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 20 Feb 2017 00:16

ladspa plugins are meant to be used without jack , there are NOT jack-plugin neither jack compatible plugins, is that right ? Or would it be possible to make the following route

ladspa-plugin (for example ) --> other jack pluging (for exple an EQ) --> system playback (in order to combine effect)

N.B between jack plugins I know yet how to do that..

thank you for further informations
yes, we were talking about two different stuff.
1. pulse with ladspa (pulse is used as ladspa host)
2. jack with plugins
calf was an exception since it's both ladspa and jack compatible. what I mean was giving you two solution so that you could pick the one best for you. there are some advantages and disadvantages of them. mixing jack with ladspa is also possible. the key point is that ladspa need a host. you can put the host on pulse, alsa, or wherever you like. that way you can use ladspa with anything you have (including) jack. keep on mind that jack is quite a resource eater. you might need to be carefull with it.

I usually use this route : app > ladspa plugin > jack input > jack plugins > jack/sound output

Return to “Software”