Any ETA on SolydXK 9 - advice on new install

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Fargo

Any ETA on SolydXK 9 - advice on new install

Postby Fargo » 20 Feb 2017 00:16

I don't suppose there's any change we'll see SolydK 9 in the next 2 days is there?

I have my father inlaw set up with SolydK and he apparaently messed up his system. (He said he downloaded a virus. I'm not sure about that though.) Anyway, his system is messed up and he wants me to reinstall everything. I'd really like to just get him setup with SolydK 9 so he doesn't have to deal with any updates in the next few months and he will have the lastest. But is SolydK 9 anywhere near production ready? I only see him a couple times a year so I wanted to get him setup with the latest right now rather than have to deal with updates or another install next time I see him. Any advice?

kurotsugi

Re: Any ETA on SolydXK 9 - advice on new install

Postby kurotsugi » 20 Feb 2017 00:26

I'd suggest to install a debian testing then change the repo list and solydxk-ing it. testing is on freeze period so it's quite stable for daily use. with a proper repo setting when new debian got released, your system will automagically converted into solydxk-9

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 20 Feb 2017 08:10

I agree with Kurotsugi. Freeze has just started and I see updates coming in on a daily basis and although I'm working on an alpha release, they are very far from what I'd consider a stable system.

However, your system will not be converted to the new stable automatically. You may decide to stay with Jessie for a while before you want to upgrade your system to Stretch. We'll provide a tutorial when the time comes.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ilu

Postby ilu » 20 Feb 2017 11:39

If your father had SolydX I would agree with kurotsugi - who said to install testing. But with SolydK I would heed schoeljes advice and stick with jessie. The development threads are still full with problems and even with the freeze KDE sounds still very un-ripe to me. Jessie will be good for quite a long time and if your father doesn't really need the latest and greatest - stick with it.

Zill

Postby Zill » 20 Feb 2017 11:56

Fargo wrote:... I'd really like to just get him setup with SolydK 9 so he doesn't have to deal with any updates in the next few months and he will have the lastest. But is SolydK 9 anywhere near production ready? I only see him a couple times a year so I wanted to get him setup with the latest right now rather than have to deal with updates or another install next time I see him. Any advice?
My advice to anyone who is not an experienced Linux user and/or one who simply wants a system that "just works" is to stay well clear of the latest and greatest software!

SolydK 9, with its Debian testing base, still has very new, and therefore buggy, software. While the bugs are gradually being squashed, this process will go on for several more months before Stretch becomes the new stable release. Even then, some bugs will still need to be squashed and so updates will continue for some time as the new stable settles down.

Once it has run for a year or so, it can probably be regarded as good "solid" software that requires minimal maintenance. Then the number of updates should fall to a low level.

However, it is important to realize that Debian stable does have long-term support (LTS) For example, the current "old-stable", Debian Wheezy (Debian 7), is supported until May 2018. For users wanting a quiet life with a totally reliable system, "old-stable" or the current "stable" (Jessie) is a great choice! :-)

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 20 Feb 2017 15:46

Thanks guys, I thought it would probably be best to just stay with the current release, but as always, I am excited for the newest thing.

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 20 Feb 2017 21:18

I am lost. The next SolydXK stable, based on Debian Stretch, is now called SolydXK-EE? Am I right?
If so, I would consider it stable a long time already. I used it last year for quite some time and didn't have major problems, almost no problems at all.

When I am not right, can somebody please explain to me which version is which because then I am really totally lost.

Zill

Postby Zill » 20 Feb 2017 21:50

SolydForEver: We have explained this already...
https://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.ph ... 881#p64229

The SolydXK EEs are the Enthusiasts Editions and will always be based on Debian testing. Your perception of "stability" is irrelevant, testing packages are not stable as they are continually changing as bugs are squashed.

So, to answer your question, the next SolydXK stable editions (based on Debian stretch) will simply be called SolydXK - no suffix is necessary as they will simply be the main SolydXK editions.

ilu

Postby ilu » 20 Feb 2017 21:56

What Zill said ... SolydXK will be based on stretch as soon as stretch becomes stable, which is not now, no matter what you experienced last year.

Stretch is not stable. But it will be, eventually.

SolydXKEE will never be stable.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 21 Feb 2017 01:27

I am lost. The next SolydXK stable, based on Debian Stretch, is now called SolydXK-EE? Am I right?
If so, I would consider it stable a long time already. I used it last year for quite some time and didn't have major problems, almost no problems at all.
I know someone will eventually come and ask it :lol:

to put it short, debian has it's own defintion of stable. in debian terms, "stable" means the latest released version which got no updates other than security and updates. it's a name of debian development branch. debian has four branch: stable, testing, sid, experimental. meanwhile, most of us defines stable with broader meaning i.e : no crash, just works, etc. to avoid confusion, keep on mind that when we talk about "stable", we were using debian's term. we only use the other defintion of stable (i.e: no crash) among "the enthusiast" 8-)

solydxk-EE will always based on testing. that's true. however, due to debian's development nature, enthusiast user could convert their system to stable in the end of freeze period. I guess you already know the differences between solydxk and the soldyxk-EE. it's quite a long explanation so we might need to discuss it on another thread to avoid more confusion here.

btw, @Fargo, one of the reason there was problems in solydK-EE is that we inherit lot of stuff form the old KDE. the bug will be less if you install a vanilla debian. though, yes, there will be some nasty bugs there. it also might not possible to convert it into solydK due to several reason. It might be exciting if you want to try it on livecd and virtualbox but I agree with ilu that "now" isn't the best time to install plasma.

and....if anything goes right, debian will got released between march or april. please not that it's just a calculation based on the current schedule. no one could really say when will new debian got released. currently it seems that debians could keep the schedule. I predicted the canonicals will also push it so that debian got released near their release schedule (somewhere in april) to get the most benefit from it.

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 28 Feb 2017 19:31

kurotsugi wrote:
I know someone will eventually come and ask it :lol:

to put it short, debian has it's own defintion of stable. in debian terms, "stable" means the latest released version which got no updates other than security and updates. it's a name of debian development branch. debian has four branch: stable, testing, sid, experimental. meanwhile, most of us defines stable with broader meaning i.e : no crash, just works, etc. to avoid confusion, keep on mind that when we talk about "stable", we were using debian's term. we only use the other defintion of stable (i.e: no crash) among "the enthusiast" 8-)

solydxk-EE will always based on testing. that's true. however, due to debian's development nature, enthusiast user could convert their system to stable in the end of freeze period. I guess you already know the differences between solydxk and the soldyxk-EE. it's quite a long explanation so we might need to discuss it on another thread to avoid more confusion here.

btw, @Fargo, one of the reason there was problems in solydK-EE is that we inherit lot of stuff form the old KDE. the bug will be less if you install a vanilla debian. though, yes, there will be some nasty bugs there. it also might not possible to convert it into solydK due to several reason. It might be exciting if you want to try it on livecd and virtualbox but I agree with ilu that "now" isn't the best time to install plasma.

and....if anything goes right, debian will got released between march or april. please not that it's just a calculation based on the current schedule. no one could really say when will new debian got released. currently it seems that debians could keep the schedule. I predicted the canonicals will also push it so that debian got released near their release schedule (somewhere in april) to get the most benefit from it.
Thanks for the reminder about Debians definition of stable. I do wish they would have used a different term to define the non-changing nature of their 'Stable' branch. To some degree, the term 'Stable' is really describing the state of the repository and not the release itself. Although, due to extensive testing, the 'Stable' repo is typically also a stable release.

For now I will stick with the current Stable release as suggested.

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”