Looking for backup tool

Questions about software.
ilu

Looking for backup tool

Postby ilu » 13 Mar 2017 22:09

I want to backup system partitions to a file (img?) and restore them to partitions (not to the whole device). The system on it is NOT running (RaspPi system partitions). File ownership, permissions and links have to stay intact.
I don't want to use dd since I'm too afraid of mistakes while restoring ... and also because restoring with dd would overwrite the whole device, which is not what I want. Backup to a file and restore just to a partition.
I installed clonezilla but this doesn't seem to work at all, I could not find out how to start it. Lucky backup does not preserve file ownership, permissions and links.

Any tool you would recommend?

jlschwartz

Re: Looking for backup tool

Postby jlschwartz » 13 Mar 2017 22:53

You might want to look at Systemback. You can create restore points, backups, and system images.

ilu

Postby ilu » 13 Mar 2017 23:01

Systemback is not meant for external media and not usable for FAT32 partitions. It's not the system itself I want to back up but the system media of another computer.

Zill

Postby Zill » 13 Mar 2017 23:02

ilu wrote:... Lucky backup does not preserve file ownership, permissions and links.
Err... It does if you run it as the SuperUser. ;-)

ilu

Postby ilu » 13 Mar 2017 23:23

Zill: Seems like you are right. The result looks good. So I might try a first Backup - Restore - Boot and see whether that works.

Thank you.

bas_otten

Postby bas_otten » 14 Mar 2017 20:40

Personally I like fsarchiver a lot: it is very capable of cloning and restoring a partition as a whole into an imagefile. It is a commandline utility with excellent support for ext4, various compressions levels, and has shown to be highly reliable. It is installed by default on SolydXK (at least K I'm sure) and SystemrescueCD, the latter of which I typically use when working with images on any computer. Something like this:

Code: Select all

Always start with: blkid

Create image on laptop:
-----------------------
mount /dev/sda3 /mnt
fsarchiver savefs -z8 -j4 -s2000 /mnt/ImagesL/ImgSolydK64-<productversion>-<imagerelease>.fsa /dev/sda1

Restore image on laptop:
------------------------
mount /dev/sda3 /mnt
fsarchiver restfs /mnt/ImagesL/ImgSolydK64-<productversion>-<imagerelease>.fsa id=0,dest=/dev/sda1
Clonezilla will definitely get the job done as well, but that is one of the most intimidating cloning tools on the planet:-) The only pre with Clonezilla for me is that it seems to be the only open-source tool that actually fully supports NTFS, for situations when you encounter Windows systems.

Return to “Software”