Logging off

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
xendistar

Logging off

Postby xendistar » 23 Jun 2017 05:49

My PC runs 24\7 and over the last few days I have noticed that when I am a way from the PC for more that about 7.5 hrs (like overnight) I am being logged off. Other than changing my repos to point at stretch as this is a EE install. All I have to do is enter my password and I am back in again, the PC is not rebooting because I have an uptime counter and that still show I have been up and running for several days.

Anybody any idea where I should start looking?

ilu

Re: Logging off

Postby ilu » 23 Jun 2017 23:02

I know there's a setting for this, because I remember I set it to a very short time on my laptop. Sometime after I removed the screensaver with the annoying error message. Just where did I do that? Did you check the settings?

Edit: Have a look at the energy settings.

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 24 Jun 2017 19:58

I don't have the XFCE4 Power manager running and it has been like that since I installed EE. Strange thing is this morning when I came to the PC it was still logged?

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 27 Jun 2017 14:48

Xfce's power manager is just a systemd's power manager front-end. If you're using lighdm-locker you can set it to never lock your session. The three areas needed to be checked is :
1. Power manager
2. Screensaver
3. The dmesg log or session log.

Though, I can't reproduce the issue so I can't pinpoint exactly on what the problem and how to fix it.

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 27 Jun 2017 19:48

As far as I can tell I don't have Power management running

I have had issues with the screensaver in the past but in those case's it just locked the PC up and had to do a hard reboot via the on\off button

These were the only signiicant logs I found

I think this might be significant, bit from my .xsession-errors.old log

Code: Select all

[calGoogleSessionManager] Creating session %20xendistar@gmail.com
prpl-gtalk: Error during SRV: Lookup failed.
gkrellm: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
Gdk-Message: nm-applet: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.

Gdk-Message: light-locker: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.

Gdk-Message: firefox: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.

xfdesktop: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
xfsettingsd: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
xfce4-panel: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
xfce4-session: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.
Gdk-Message: polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.

wrapper-1.0: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
Gdk-Message: wrapper-2.0: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.

wrapper-1.0: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
xfwm4: Fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server :0.0.
Gdk-Message: thunderbird: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.

The first line about the gmail session was about 15:07 this afternoon, I believe the "desktop" crashed around 15:50-ish Based on detail in other logs . Bear in mind that I was not using the PC from around 15:07 until about 18:00.

Firefox is running with 8 open tabs, Thunderbird is also running, Gkrellem are the only desktop application running. Free memory normally sits around 1.5gb (4GB installed) and will drop if I open around 12+ tabs. Only around 300mb of swap is in use (5.5gb available).

Other than pushing Firefox I have not seen anything else start to hammer the processor, might experiment tonight and close Firefox before bed and see what happens.

I found this after typing journalctl at the cli, the time tie in (there abouts)

Code: Select all

Jun 26 16:01:28 lunar1 kernel: drm/i915: Resetting chip after gpu hang
Jun 26 16:01:38 lunar1 kernel: drm/i915: Resetting chip after gpu hang
Jun 26 16:01:38 lunar1 org.a11y.atspi.Registry[2747]: XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"
Jun 26 16:01:38 lunar1 org.a11y.atspi.Registry[2747]:       after 9703 requests (9703 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
Jun 26 16:01:38 lunar1 polkitd(authority=local)[791]: Unregistered Authentication Agent for unix-session:499 (system bus name :1.388, object path /org/gnome/PolicyKit1/Authenticati
I have to be honest I am not to worried about this, I have started to have a clean out of what I have installed and once the new EE is out I intend to give the PC a bit of an Upgrade with more memory, Nvidia graphics and more disk space (for backups)

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 28 Jun 2017 08:02

From the log we can conclude the event line is : something related with the gpu broken > x is broken > light-locker try to do something > the system doesn't allow light locker > you were forcefully logged out.

I think it's a glitch from either the kernel or graphic driver. Light locker is running, which means that you have a PM running in your system but the real culprit is somewhere deeper in the kernel area. To make sure that it is a glitch, please restart your system. If my deduction is right, the glitch won't appear after a restart.

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 30 Jun 2017 16:23

Restarted the PC and it still happens, Not going to worry to much about as I say the PC will be getting a good service shortly

dwaynejohnson

Postby dwaynejohnson » 11 Jul 2017 12:50

Hmm, It used to happen to a friend of mine, and usually when he restarted the PC it ended up working. Sad to see it didn't fix the problem for you:(

Return to “Testing zone”